Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 40 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
WOW Killer work so far! I'm gong to follow this one!!

Couple of questions:
Where do you work?
Why put the square tubing inside the sub frame?
LAME nailed it on location of employment haha Im a CAD Designer/Engineer at Art Morrison but also fabricate here and there when they need a hand. As far as the rectangular tubing, I solely did it to make mount the tub a little easier

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Any reason your rear 4 link is so narrow? esp the lowers?
To be honest there is no real reason as to why. The lowers are/will be a lot closer to the rear "rails" of the chassis than they look in the pics. Looking back I could've definitely inched them out a bit more, but where they are it should keep the rear end centered. This is my first linked suspension so doing my best to research a lot and play it sorta safe without trying not to think too out of the box. Any recommendations are welcome and greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Damn, that's nice. Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Fabrication looks fantastic.

Running the rear links so narrow will exaggerate axle steer from bump and roll. Have to remember you're dealing with a lot more wheel travel than your day job is used to. There's also the added lever action on the joints from the freespan of housing out to the the wheels. Also, make sure you have at least 45* of convergence in the links. I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like there's a lot in your mockup.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fabrication looks fantastic.

Running the rear links so narrow will exaggerate axle steer from bump and roll. Have to remember you're dealing with a lot more wheel travel than your day job is used to. There's also the added lever action on the joints from the freespan of housing out to the the wheels. Also, make sure you have at least 45* of convergence in the links. I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like there's a lot in your mockup.
So you're saying widen the rear links where they mount to the housing? I read somewhere 30* was a general rule as minimum, but I could be mistaken. Can remember what my value is off the top of my head, but I wanna say upper 30's

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
So you're saying widen the rear links where they mount to the housing? I read somewhere 30* was a general rule as minimum, but I could be mistaken. Can remember what my value is off the top of my head, but I wanna say upper 30's
Widen the rear lowers at the axle housing "as much as possible"

Ditto the uppers at the chassis. EDIT... looks like your UCA brackets at the axle housing are pretty final, and aligned with the current angle of the UCAs.

If you can spread the lowers at the axle, you'll probably be pretty well set.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Yes, get them as wide on the axle as you can for the lowers. It takes 45* of convergence to keep the axle located laterally with only compression/tension on the links. That's in a perfect world. It won't be the end of the world if you miss by a couple degrees but, being in the 30's, the links will also have a bending moment on them, rather than just compression and tension. You really want to avoid that if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I'm really curious to see how you'll be mounting the tub to it. I also think you should stretch that chassis out to CJ6 length and send me the plans. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I really do appreciate all the suggestions. may have shot myself in the foot on the uppers since I already burned in the up mounts on the hsg. I'll definitely be widening the lower links and doing my best to achieve the 45*. I was trying to save most on the floor as possible, but looks like thats gonna be more work than its worth to just say there's factory metal left in it :shaking: Planning to make a flange off the "sliders" that the tube will bolt to along with various other points of mounting. Rear rails I was gonna bend up similar to the front,but after doing some thinking a two piece with mounting plate to the step in the floor is kinda the direction I'm heading. I'll try and post some updates, but dealing with fixing the front housing right now...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hard to tell in the pics but the ram was just tacked to a piece of 2x4 to get an idea for heights. Started working on the actual mount/skid today.

Really not a fan of the over the top ram "rollcages" that I've seen on rig while surfing the web, so decided to go as low pro as possible and take the chance for damage.

[/url]IMG_20180224_142545282 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Had an oddball size on tube laying around (1-3/8"x 3/16" wall) Opted to use this to keep it looking light but still take a little abuse.

[/url]IMG_20180224_163343516 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180224_163324469 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180224_170735039 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180224_170643498 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't post much... clicked on your build thinking I was wasting my time... wow. Beautiful fab work. I too need another job. I only find used spit cups in the garbage at work...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Been pretty busy with work/life lately so progress has been pretty slowly. I plated in the front of the truss and began wrapping that up for the most part Still needing to add various gussets here and there, but you more or less get the idea on how its gonna look.

[/url]IMG_20180227_174858796 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180307_163436101 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180307_163458981 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Still need to plate in back side

[/url]IMG_20180307_163510580 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180307_163443834 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also, picked up motor and transfer case this weekend.

[/url]IMG_20180307_163633510 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_20180307_163712675 by Alex Velasquez, on Flickr[/IMG]

21 - 40 of 549 Posts