Pirate 4x4 banner
61 - 80 of 339 Posts

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Got most of my steering all wrapped up this weekend. Still need to mount the ram though. After getting it all put in and looking everything over Im definitely going to have to modify the crossmember or make a new one cause that drag link is really close to it. lol :D I'm very happy with how its all turning out though and its all coming together well. I did have to make some shackle extension plates that I drilled at 6 inch eye to eye and 7 inch. They are going to be a temporary thing tell I get some new ones and take my damn header off again so I can get the bolt out :shaking: It will work out good having the two different hole locations on the temporary shackles though so when I get my bumper made and winch put in I can get a better idea of where it will sit level at and then make or get the correct shackles for a level ride height.

Attachments

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
More pictures for them picture lovers!:D

Attachments

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Got the radiator and core support all put in this week. Thing is starting to look more like a complete vehicle again!:D Forgot to take a picture but I ended up notching a piece out of the core support so the hydro line can go up out of the end cap without hitting/rubbing on it. Now on to the fun part of making a new front harness! :shaking:

Attachments

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Been working on getting this thing done up enough so I can start putting my 500 mile break in on the gears. We have a wheeling/camping trip coming up soon so I’d like to have the break in done before then so I can change the fluids and check everything over. Got the grill all painted and put in along with all the lights and turn signals. The grill turned out better than I thought it would and I am very happy I was able to go with the quad headlight style grill because it looks way better than before and gave the ole k5 a good face lift! :D I was able to get my front harness all done but am still waiting on my braided wiring loom so I can get it wrapped but for now I tossed it in to get it going. I added a bunch of wires to the front harness for rock lights, side lights, light bar, atmospheric temp sensor, and 3 fans so it will be all ready and done for when I am able to get those all hooked up. I didn’t have time to get my engine harness all done yet so I temporarily hooked up the EFI wires so it will run. I am still waiting on a clamp for the hydro assist so I capped the box off for now.

First start-Setting up the general parameters for the EFI was as simple as turning the key on and answering a few questions about engine displacement, Cam type, target idle and ignition type. After I went through the setup the Sniper EFI started on the first crank without any problems and seemed to idle really smooth. All sensors checked out ok and the air/fuel ratio was reading right at what they set it from the factory for the EFI. I let started the k5 several times and let it idle for around 30 minutes so it could learn itself on idle a little bit before I started driving it.

Driving-Right out of the gate I noticed the EFI seemed to run a lot smoother than the carb and the other EFI system I put on my mustang. The throttle response is very smooth and you don’t have that jump between Primaries and Secondary’s like you do on a carb setup. The more I drive it, it seems to balance out the fuel table more and more and become even smoother under driving conditions. The EFI kit I put on my mustang took a lot longer than the Sniper system is taking. So far the EFI has been running good without any problems and I have around 250 miles on it.

Everything else seems to be working good and the gears haven’t been making any weird noises or getting to hot! I am definitely ready for the hydro assist to be on though cause the 40s are a little much without it lol. Thankfully where I’m at there’s a good stretch of road where I’ve been able to go back and forth at lowers speeds so I can keep it in 4wd to help get the front gears broke in at the same time as the rear. Only 250 more miles to go and she’s ready for fluid changes! :smokin:

Attachments

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Some more poser shots from the other day! :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Awesome to see it coming together. Thanks for the update on the Sniper EFI. Have you seen anything with it yet that you've been disappointed in? If I remember right, I think it was with the terminator setup, there was like a 15 or 20 second delay where the computer had to load some parameters every time you turn the key on before you can start the engine...does that exist on the Sniper setup?

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Awesome to see it coming together. Thanks for the update on the Sniper EFI. Have you seen anything with it yet that you've been disappointed in? If I remember right, I think it was with the terminator setup, there was like a 15 or 20 second delay where the computer had to load some parameters every time you turn the key on before you can start the engine...does that exist on the Sniper setup?
So far there isn't really anything I am disappointed in. I will say that after driving it roughly 300 miles so far there is going to be a few things I will end up fine tuning in the fuel table and idle warm up. As of right now I've got the timing setup with a factory Chevy HEI but I will be converting it so the timing is controlled by the computer. I have all the stuff for that but don't have the time to do it right now. When I did my EFI on my mustang I ran it without timing control and then converted it later and noticed a big difference in overall idle quality and throttle response. The Sniper EFI does have a 2.5 second waiting period before starting to let it prime and I have been waiting the 2.5 seconds every time before starting but I will have to try starting it immediately to see what it does. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Terminator fuel prime is the same as Sniper, 2.5 sec. It will start if you don't wait for the prime to end, but it doesn't fire as quickly or as cleanly. My daily driver is a 6.0 diesel so I'm used to waiting a couple seconds before cranking.

Like xjbraun I've found the Holley EFI idle and transient warm up to be set up too rich. After you get the self learn to stabilize its good to go into the software and smooth the fuel table out. You don't want any cross over of points as RPM and MAP increase. I found the 3D chart in the Holley software to be pretty difficult to use. So I copied the fuel map to excel and graphed the whole fuel table. Its really easy to see any crossover, then adjust and copy it back into Holley software. After doing that the A/F is more consistent.

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
The Terminator fuel prime is the same as Sniper, 2.5 sec. It will start if you don't wait for the prime to end, but it doesn't fire as quickly or as cleanly. My daily driver is a 6.0 diesel so I'm used to waiting a couple seconds before cranking.

Like xjbraun I've found the Holley EFI idle and transient warm up to be set up too rich. After you get the self learn to stabilize its good to go into the software and smooth the fuel table out. You don't want any cross over of points as RPM and MAP increase. I found the 3D chart in the Holley software to be pretty difficult to use. So I copied the fuel map to excel and graphed the whole fuel table. Its really easy to see any crossover, then adjust and copy it back into Holley software. After doing that the A/F is more consistent.
You running the terminator system? If so how do you like it and hows the tune-ability?

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Did a little work this weekend getting the hydro assist all put on. I original got a bracket from dy4x but it ended up not working for what I needed so I chopped it all up and made a new setup that I welded to the diff cover. I had to mount the ram at a slight angle for now because the ram fittings were too close to the axle tube. So after my trip I plan on taking off the tube clamp and making the tabs shorter so I can put the ram level and not have them hit the axle tube. Did a little testing after I got it done and it seemed to work fairly well but after the trip I'm also going to put a new high output pump and a bigger remote mount reservoir on. Having the hydro boost still is a little too much for the stock pump to run it all. Normally I would just put a vacuum booster on but since I put the nv4500 in there and used a 93 pedal assembly and master there is no room to mount the booster so I will have to stick with the hydro boost and make it work. Also added a big cooler to keep the system cool enough. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
You running the terminator system? If so how do you like it and hows the tune-ability?
I'm long winded. Cliff notes - Terminator is bitchin and very tune-able.

Yeah, I'm running the Terminator. I really like it. It was quick to get a close tune with the self learning. I'm still working on refining the low RPM high load area to prevent it going lean when you let out the clutch and allow the RPM to drop. It responds to the tuning, just takes a little time.

I spent quite a bit of time tuning the Idle Air Control. With the manual transmission it is a challenge to keep the RPM from dipping and then overshooting when pushing in the clutch during decel. I've got it so that its very good when warmed up. When the engine is cold there it does it a little, but never stalls. There's no compensation for water temp in the IAC ramp down setting, so its a balance.

Cause I also have an NV4500 one thing I really like about having EFI with an IAC is when the throttle is closed it will open to maintain Idle RPM. When going down steep hills and drops I left foot brake, the IAC opens to maintain idle rpm which keeps the whole driveline loaded against the brakes. This takes up all the back lash, which is a lot with a Grizzly Locker and Lock Right. Makes it so much smoother. I even do it when crawling up things. Allows you to go really slow without worrying about stalling. If you need to speed up a little you just let off the brake a bit and usually don't need to touch the gas pedal.

I also set up a ground referenced math channel that adds 220 to the Idle RPM when I flip a switch. Its nice to have the higher idle in some situations. I'm not sure if the Sniper has the capability, but its really easy to change idle speed on the holley touch screen. I did that before I figured out the high idle switch.

·
84 K5 Blazer
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I'm long winded. Cliff notes - Terminator is bitchin and very tune-able.

Yeah, I'm running the Terminator. I really like it. It was quick to get a close tune with the self learning. I'm still working on refining the low RPM high load area to prevent it going lean when you let out the clutch and allow the RPM to drop. It responds to the tuning, just takes a little time.

I spent quite a bit of time tuning the Idle Air Control. With the manual transmission it is a challenge to keep the RPM from dipping and then overshooting when pushing in the clutch during decel. I've got it so that its very good when warmed up. When the engine is cold there it does it a little, but never stalls. There's no compensation for water temp in the IAC ramp down setting, so its a balance.

Cause I also have an NV4500 one thing I really like about having EFI with an IAC is when the throttle is closed it will open to maintain Idle RPM. When going down steep hills and drops I left foot brake, the IAC opens to maintain idle rpm which keeps the whole driveline loaded against the brakes. This takes up all the back lash, which is a lot with a Grizzly Locker and Lock Right. Makes it so much smoother. I even do it when crawling up things. Allows you to go really slow without worrying about stalling. If you need to speed up a little you just let off the brake a bit and usually don't need to touch the gas pedal.

I also set up a ground referenced math channel that adds 220 to the Idle RPM when I flip a switch. Its nice to have the higher idle in some situations. I'm not sure if the Sniper has the capability, but its really easy to change idle speed on the holley touch screen. I did that before I figured out the high idle switch.
Very good info! glad to see you like it so far and the ease of tuning. I've also noticed those little hiccups on mine as well with the manual. It doesn't seem to jump in rpm to awful much when you push the clutch in on decel but it would be nice if it didn't eventually. The sniper does have an idle up ground trigger but I will not be using it because I've got a electric solenoid ill be using so I can adjust the rpm. I've mainly just used the high idle in the past for when we are airing up since we do a lot of snow wheeling here. But I'm hoping to get out to Moab this summer so I could definitely see it coming in handy there! :smokin:

61 - 80 of 339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.