Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 644 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure I'll start a build thread for my Jeep as just today I've more-or-less crossed the point of no return.

Before we get to that, here's a quick run-down from beginning to now:

I got my bone stock 03 TJ a week or so after graduating high school in 07 w/ about 30k miles on it.

Left the dealership I was working at for another w/ much better pay and benefits, needless to say the surplus of funds all went into my Jeep. Ended up w/ a 3" FT lift, JKS discos, RE rear trackbar/bracket, AA SYE and CV driveshaft, 33x10.50" TSL radials, U-Pol Raptor'd interior, BESRK's rear bumper/tire carrier, JKS rear upper CAs, an AEV engine skid, Poison Spyder steering gear skid, AtoZ rocker gaurds, a CB radio, and some other little crap. About $4300 total spent.:laughing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...p stuff/Shaynea-Jeep photo shoot/000_2752.jpg

Up until a month or two ago I was planning on building a HP D30 w/ WJ knuckles/brakes/steering. I even went so far as to gathering all the parts for that swap.

Then I scored a pair of built axles from a member of the PBB(toyokrawler) for $2100. All hell broke loose since I got my tax return:p

Chevy D60:

and D70HD:

They are about 65" WMS-WMS, built w/ 5.38 gears, detroit lockers F/R, alloy 35spl shafts in the 70, alloy 35spl stub shafts up front, and loaded w/ what appears to be 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton disc brakes all around. Can anyone confirm this? Is there any difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton calipers?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
About a week ago I pulled all the stock crap out from under the Jeep:

D70 vs D44:

D60 vs D30:

Stuff laying all over the garage:

I'll be welding with my Hobart 140A machine on flux core. Kirby did it so I should be able to. Any questionable/highly stressed welds will be gone over w/ a 220v machine by a good friend of mine.

My buddy Niko vs D70:

And just today I cut nearly all the stock brackets off the frame. Using a 4-1/2" angle grinder, a big prybar, a hammer and chisel it took about 6 hours to do all the LCA brackets, the rear trackbar bracket, the R/R coil bucket, and half of the L/R coil bucket(lots of fuel lines in the way, need to move the tank before I get that all the way out).

Also picked up a D300 for the build:

Plans are:
106-110" wheelbase
40" LTBs on 17" Allied beadlocks
D300 w/ upgraded outputs, 4:1 in the future
Leaf springs SOA in the rear w/ traction bar
3-link front w/ coils, possibly reuse my FT 3" coils(netted me closer to 3.75 or so)
Hydro assist
Stock 4.0 for a while, maybe 5.2/5.9 in future but I'll wait til the I6 bites the dust
NV3550

Project Dookey and SlinkyBlueBalls were the primary inspirations for this. It should have a low COG for the most part. As long as the front bumper is under the 29" VA state limit I'll be fine.

My frame is currently on jackstands 3" higher than it was with 3" FT lift springs and 33x10.50 tires. Here are the measurements BEFORE/TARGET:

-Front bumper height: 24.5" / 27.5"
-Rear bumper height: 22.0" / 25.5"
-Frame belly height: 19.5" / 22.75" (NOT at the stock skidplate, at the frame rails)
-Rocker height: 23.5" / 26.5"
-Width from the outside of the tires: 68.5" / 78-84"
-Front diff clearance(D30): 10.5" / ?
-Rear diff clearance(D44): 9.5" / ?

My target deadline is 7/1/09 so I can work out any crap wrong w/ it before the wedding.

Let the build begin!

edit: Failed deadline... it gets done when it gets done.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The build should be relatively fast-paced funds-permitting. At the dealer I work at we're loaded w/ work and are working 11hr days to get it all done so that kind of eats up my Jeep time in the middle of the week. On the other hand I can start buying stuff :D

It will be a somewhat slow start so for the time being here's some eye-candy:smokin:

:flipoff2:

For anyone that cares to see my "bolt-on" build from stock to now it is here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457119

·
Registered
106 Posts
tits or gtfo :flipoff2:

So any other plans on the build? Engine swap? Coilovers? Cage? 4-link?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tits or gtfo :flipoff2:

So any other plans on the build? Engine swap? Coilovers? Cage? 4-link?
Haha they belong to me :flipoff2:

Engine swap: possibly far in the future.

Cage: definitely, but it will be done after it is back running and driving. Won't do any "real" wheeling before one is in. Primary goal is to get it road-worthy first.

Coilovers: I've been entertaining the thought of some FOA coilovers for the front, but for the time being I'm planning on coils and shocks

4-link: Eventually as I'm sure there will be something funny with the leaf springs, but given my time-frame and budget, leafs will get the job done for now. The cost of brackets/links/joints/jam nuts/hardware/tubing adapters/etc add up real fast.

Right now I'm planning on running Ballistic 2.63" joints on the front lowers, and Ballistic 3" joints for the single upper arm.

Got a little bit done today. Attempted to clean up the rear axle. The PO welded the brackets on with what seems to be some stupid high power stick welder. With about 3-4 passes. Total PITA to grind off. Still need the nubs of where they used to be ground down. Not taking off the leaf spring brackets just yet, if they're usable I'll run them, if not then off they will go.

I left part of the 4-link mount on top as I plan on utilizing it to make a "truss" to tie the tubes into the pumpkin and each other.

Also got the other rear coil bucket off and cleaned up the frame.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What are you like 19 and your getting married? Why nail your coffin shut so young. Run for your life!!!!! Nice build by the way

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Ask me how I know.

What are you like 19 and your getting married? Why nail your coffin shut so young. Run for your life!!!!! Nice build by the way
x2, though I don't see my life as ruined, I know it's not as awesome as it could be..
< Married at 21.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

x2, though I don't see my life as ruined, I know it's not as awesome as it could be..
< Married at 21.
Nah, my woman is awesome. She's really cool about my Jeep addiction too, she just wants it done before the wedding so we can ride off into the sunset in it:flipoff2:

Got married at 19... that was 20 years ago.
Wouldn't change a day.

Good Luck with the build!
- Peter
1988 Golden Eagle
Sounds like you have a good taste in ladies as well. Congratulations.

Oh and I'm 20 btw:p

Doing this while I'm still living at home as well, the garage is my dad's and he's cool as hell for letting me use it.

The goal is to have it sitting on it's own weight by mid-April so I can get it into the driveway so he can get back to building furniture and stuff. For the time being I think he's enjoying his break from my mom harping on him about making stuff for the house:laughing:

Ordered my ballistic joints for the front 3-link(4 2.62" joints and 2 3.0" joints), and a bunch of steel. Going to give making my own brackets a whirl. At least some of them.

48" of each of the following:
-1/4" x 7" plate steel
-3/16" x 5" x 2" rectangular tubing
-3/8" x 5" x 2" C-channel

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good luck on the build man! Any idea on how you are going to sneak the driveshaft through on the passenger side? I am having to figure out the same deal on my build

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck on the build man! Any idea on how you are going to sneak the driveshaft through on the passenger side? I am having to figure out the same deal on my build
Thanks! I'll probably opt for a 1" MM lift and clock my D300 as needed. Clocking is DEFINITELY needed, the t-case bolts up but the large end is literally hanging down at about the 4 to 5 o'clock position:eek: I think a clocking ring, AA twin sticks, and a rear output will go in initially to get it rolling. I'll add the front output and 4:1 gears when I find the time and money.

If worse comes to worse, a very narrow driveshaft w/ kinda thick wall tubing will be the way I go, I'd like to avoid a 2 pc driveshaft but if it's gotta happen then it's gotta happen.

Here are some pics from the last week up to tonight(I think they're in chronological order):

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Got Shaynea in the garage tonight and showed her how to use the grinder. She's friggin awesome:smokin:

Got probably another 1-2 hours worth of grinding to do on the front axle, but hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll have the gas tank out and know more-or-less where the rear will sit. Need to round up some bushings for the XJ leaf springs.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered some stuff from RuffStuff for my rear leaf spring mounting. Also did the comp-cut today:) The gas tank is out of the way too. Found leaf spring bushings from Napa, went to literally 3 other parts stores first and every single one of them were retarded. At Pepboys I had to tell the counter guy to look under "suspension parts." :shaking:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Deadline

Good luck with your deadline. Im getting married middle of June and started a one ton build on my TJ 2 months ago. Yea the fiance was fine with it then...........but oh how things changed my man! She is ready to kill me and dynamite the Jeep. I thought I had it all done last night, took it out this morning for a little street test without the rear diff/truss tie in bolted up... big mistake! I thought the upper arm brackets were strong enough for the street without the diff tie in. Nope.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with your deadline. Im getting married middle of June and started a one ton build on my TJ 2 months ago. Yea the fiance was fine with it then...........but oh how things changed my man! She is ready to kill me and dynamite the Jeep. I thought I had it all done last night, took it out this morning for a little street test without the rear diff/truss tie in bolted up... big mistake! I thought the upper arm brackets were strong enough for the street without the diff tie in. Nope.
Wow that really sucks... I'm guessing you killed your driveshaft and possibly some brake lines and suspension links? Good luck with the build, I know I'm on borrowed time with her nerves so I'm trying to scramble to make some visual progress :laughing:

Dude, I'd highly suggest against using anything I did as motivation. :flipoff2:

In for the updates.

Haha too late :flipoff2: I PMed youa while back but never got a reply, I was wondering how you liked your ridiculous long wheelbase? I'm thinking I'll stretch the front enough to clear the stock inner fender(metal part towards the tub) so I think it'll be in the 108-110 area possibly.

Also got a link to pics of Project Dookey? Your damn build thread disappeared a month or two before I actually started my own build you pecker head :flipoff2:

:D

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
Haha too late :flipoff2: I PMed youa while back but never got a reply, I was wondering how you liked your ridiculous long wheelbase? I'm thinking I'll stretch the front enough to clear the stock inner fender(metal part towards the tub) so I think it'll be in the 108-110 area possibly.

Also got a link to pics of Project Dookey? Your damn build thread disappeared a month or two before I actually started my own build you pecker head :flipoff2:

:D

I loved the wheelbase and never regretted going that long. But out here where I go wheelin lots of wheelbase is a good thing. The front approach angle was awesome and I will do the same again.

It made stuff like this rather simple.

YouTube - Down Waterfall

I have all the pictures you will ever need. If you want to see something specific just send me a PM and I will get them back to you. Or at least try. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nah, my woman is awesome. She's really cool about my Jeep addiction too, she just wants it done before the wedding so we can ride off into the sunset in it:flipoff2:
I tried the same plan....8 months after the wedding it still sits awaiting my free time. I wish you better luck than I had with deadlines!

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
cool little build you got going.

Any plans for a fuel cell or relocating the stock tank? Are you going to try and keep this streetable?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I loved the wheelbase and never regretted going that long. But out here where I go wheelin lots of wheelbase is a good thing. The front approach angle was awesome and I will do the same again.

It made stuff like this rather simple.

YouTube - Down Waterfall

I have all the pictures you will ever need. If you want to see something specific just send me a PM and I will get them back to you. Or at least try. :flipoff2:
Alright thanks!

I tried the same plan....8 months after the wedding it still sits awaiting my free time. I wish you better luck than I had with deadlines!
Wow, I definitely need it out before the deadline so failure is not an option :eek: Good luck with your build!

cool little build you got going.

Any plans for a fuel cell or relocating the stock tank? Are you going to try and keep this streetable?
Fuel cell: probably eventually, but for now I will be strapping the stock tank down in the back. Right now I'm debating spending $$ for nice fittings on the fuel lines to run stainless through the tub, or just cut the fittings on the tank end off and run rubber fuel hoses w/ clamps.

Definitely will be streetable, believe it or not it will pass VA state inspection laws w/ ease. The only thing that it -could- fail for is the "no modifications that increase turning radius" so if worse comes to worse I'll buy some sick 60 degree knuckles/joints/whatever it needs to do that. :p

edit: forgot to post the damn pictures.

Cut the front fenders today:

Also got a ton of goodies from Ruff-Stuff today :) I've gotta say they are the absolute best vendor I've dealt with so far, I ordered on Sunday and the stuff shipped Monday and recieved Wednesday today. Unfortunately the spring perches and u-bolt plates were forgotten, but a quick call to Dan and got that sorted out. He's such an awesome guy he's rushing them to my door.

Still waiting on joints from Ballistic for front end mock-up and bracket building.

1 - 20 of 644 Posts