Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I am just trying to get a better idea of engine position in my new project....

How far from the main flat vertical surface of the firewall to the back of the head?
It's currently locked in my storage container so I can't take an accurate measurement, but I'd guess about 2 1/2".

·
perfection in plasma
4,067 Posts
what bushings are you running the the ballistic joints? i had the black at first and they were a really loud bunch. have since changed to the red and not one pep after many trips to JV along with winter trips through the rocky mountains. i use Lucas Oil Red n Tacky Grease in all the BJ joints under my truck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
A lot of awesome work on this rig, but did you know your bezel is upside down???
Thanks, I was just waiting for someone to point that out...It only took 4 years!

Still working great, just ran Fordyce this weekend and had an awesome trip.

The old girl got a few new goodies this winter. Switched all the joints out to Metal Cloak Duro-flex and added aluminum lower links since it was already apart. We worked the rig pretty hard in St George and Moab, the joints are holding up well and are completely silent.

Also had to replace the radiator due to a pin hole that was starting to weep a little where the cross tubes are joined to the side tank. I added a little more rubber to the mounts in case this was caused by the radiator being mounted too rigid.

I'm also loving the new tires now that they are broken in.

Otherwise, she's still getting us where we want to go with no complaints!

Here's a couple from St George (Sand Hollow OHV)

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Wow, almost a year has gone by since I've done anything to the Cruiser :shaking:.
Just pulled her into the shop to get ready for Sand Hollow next week. Only a few little things to take care of, like a new amp and changing the relays in the winch controller. Also relocated it to get it out of the water.
One thing I finally took care of was building a skid plate for the oil pan on the 5.3. Had a really close call on Fordyce last year that finally motivated me to get some protection on it.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out..
It's hard to see, but there are 1/4" flat bars running up to the motor mount plates to support the front.

From the looks of the snow pack we won't be on Fordyce any time soon, so we're getting our wheelin fix at St George this year. Can't wait, 192 hours to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Thanks Guys!
At ride height it's 24" to the belly pan and 30" to the rockers.

If you haven't been to Sand Hollow in St George UT you should definitely put it on your list. We went for the first time last year and had a great time, the only problem we had was finding our way around since there are so many trails and most of them are unmarked. This year we planned ahead and downloaded all the trail maps from Cartotracks, the only issue was coming up with an Ipad mount in a location that was visible, but not in the way. Ultimately I had to settle on the dash bar with removable clamps. It's getting a little crowded in there with all the electronics and levers, fortunately I'll only need it for this trip and can take it out when we get home.

And yes, I worked with Apple on the coloring of the screen saver to make sure it matched my cruiser.:D

5 days to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Just gets better and better, enjoy the trip!! Hope to see you on fordyce this summer
Thanks, we'll probably be lucky to be on Fordyce at all this year with the snow and then the high water! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Great build. Is it still 110" from page 1?
Great attention to detail
Yep, right at 110.5. Your build is really looking great, It made me remember how frustrating my tunnel cover was to build. Keep up the great work!

The 9- and 10-rated trails are going to wreck havoc on that purty blue paint:D:D
I know it Jack, glad to hear you"ll be there to document all the carnage!

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
You will be fine as long as you do not follow me.
Ha you follow Jack you better bring your extra balls . Definitely a sight to see

Thanks. Yes the tunnel was a challenge

Are the maxxis stickiest?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
I guess it's time for my yearly update on the Cruiser..

We had a bad water crossing experience last year on Fordyce and bent a rod.:mad3: Of course this happened 45min into an epic 4 day trip with our friends from Washington and Idaho.

I've crossed that area at least 30 times without ever having an issue. Won't happen again since I was able to relocate the intake while having the motor rebuilt.:shaking:

Getting ready for Sand Hollow again in May. I'd like to figure out a way to rig my winch to act as a suck down winch for the big climbs in Utah. It's pretty tight quarters above the front axle, but I'll let you know what I come up with.

Oh, and the last photo is where I picked the exact wrong line and ended up breaking my winch in half just after my rope snapped. Last year was an expensive year for the Cruiser!

And one for the great Jack Rice! We'll miss you this year Jack, your new farm truck is looking great!

Summers right around the corner!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Awesome!!! I have been towed out of a fordyce crossing before....sucked!

So what did the motor do/ sound like when that happened ..... Brutal!

241 - 260 of 273 Posts