Pirate 4x4 banner
441 - 460 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If i may ask, why the switch to links if what you have is proven to work very well? Also, what tires are you going to run on the rocks?
I have to admit though, I'm intrigued to see what it can do after linking it.:smokin:plus glad to see another one of your builds up!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Time for some changes. Did a little trading for a brand new set of ag tires on beadlocks. They will be more useful for the wheeling around my house that it normally sees now. But I may be taking it rock crawling in November so I'm planning some changes. Going to pinch the front end in and chop the front bumper up. Also going to 4 link the front end on coil springs with the axle pushed forward a few inches. And I'm going to install a double ended ram while I'm at it since they work so much better and it will lower the number of turns on my steering wheel.
I like it as/is! (well ok, pinch it/dove it... yes) w00t!
Josh

·
Registered
328 Posts
well doesnt that look badass..Im not usually a big fan of short/wide non R2 ags..

Its funny how my boggers are 44-19.50 but those look shorter and wider

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
If i may ask, why the switch to links if what you have is proven to work very well? Also, what tires are you going to run on the rocks?
I have to admit though, I'm intrigued to see what it can do after linking it.:smokin:plus glad to see another one of your builds up!
The main 2 reasons are so I can push the front axle out a few inches for better approach angles and to gain control over front axle wrap and better driveshaft angle. Right now my front u joint can get maxed out pretty easy when flexing and the axle wraps at all.

You goin to burris ranch in NOV?
Yes sir. If my kids don't end up going I'm hoping to have this done to take. You coming?

well doesnt that look badass..Im not usually a big fan of short/wide non R2 ags..

Its funny how my boggers are 44-19.50 but those look shorter and wider
These actually are a little bigger than my 44x19.5 tsls.

How are the front tj coils doing in the back??
They are working great!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The main 2 reasons are so I can push the front axle out a few inches for better approach angles and to gain control over front axle wrap and better driveshaft angle. Right now my front u joint can get maxed out pretty easy when flexing and the axle wraps at all.

Yes sir. If my kids don't end up going I'm hoping to have this done to take. You coming?

These actually are a little bigger than my 44x19.5 tsls.

They are working great!

If I dont go to wolf caves Ill be headed there. What dates you goin?

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Do they handle weight ? I am looking to to do the rear of my 4 seat truggy. Thought about v8 grand coils, but maybe tj would be enough. Have you thrown a quad back there like you mentioned before?

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
Do they handle weight ? I am looking to to do the rear of my 4 seat truggy. Thought about v8 grand coils, but maybe tj would be enough. Have you thrown a quad back there like you mentioned before?
I hauled an atv once right after I built it. Didn't have any bump stops and it seemed ok. I would go with something a little heavier if your going to haul much. Look into the 80's full size bronco front springs. They have a dual rate coil spring that would work good. That was my plan for the front of this but a buddy is giving me some other springs to try first. I'll try them since they are free.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
Did some chopping yesterday. After I get done with the front suspension I will go back and fit the sides of the hood back on and do a little tube work to clean things up. Right now it looks kinda shitty! But after working on it all day we decided to take it for a spine before pull the front end out of it. Been wanting to see how the ags would work. They seem to bit good and with my bumper trimmed down I was able to make a spot I never could before. I also came really close to laying her down in some water. It was inches from going over. Good thing we got the winch working again! Going to start on the tear down tonight.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Scrap

Off-roading Off-road vehicle Mud Soil Vehicle

Vehicle Off-roading Car Mud Off-road vehicle

Off-roading Grass Vehicle Off-road vehicle Grassland

Off-roading Vehicle Car Off-road racing Off-road vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
Pulled the front axle out and cut off all the brackets and cleaned it up. Pulled all the leaf spring crap out to. Got it ruffly setting in place. Now to start building the truss and get this 4 link figured out. I have the front matching the droop of the rear axle right now, so the ride height will be much lower than in these pics.

Vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Tire Car

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Car

Going to have a much better approach angle.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tractor Tire

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 ·
Made some more progress yesterday. Got talked into buying a truss and some brackets instead of making them. Should speed things up a bit. Got the truss fully welded out with upper link tabs. Also got the lower links mocked into place. Wanted to make them longer but the mounts would have ran right into my cross members for my doubler. Plus, these pictures are at droop. Should get back on it tomorrow night. Just need to get the upper frame side mounts done and then it's on to spring mounts. I imagine I'll be getting rid of my front bumper and trimming the frame down to clear. May have to move the radiator some to clear during flex while steering.

Auto part Soil Machine Tool accessory Vehicle

Metal

Auto part Automobile repair shop Engine Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Engine

441 - 460 of 672 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.