Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 2143 Posts

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project Hippie Killer - Ever evolving because I have ADHD

Well I have been working on my truck for a while so I finally thought I would start some type of thread. I bought a 92’ Toyota pickup (formally a 2wd) now has axles and dual cases out of an 84’.

I had a 98 TJ for years but after realizing I could not afford to properly build up the jeep I sold it and bought this truck and a 93 4runner (with a 22re) score. :D

Here is how I bought the truck from a good buddy of mine:
SAS
Duals
Homebrew hy-steer with a steering arm welded onto the stock one in the opposite direction (temporary don't worry)
33’s
/\ shocks
262xxx almost, 300k now and it still runs strong.

Here she is gettin' it up driveline at Fordyce, not bad.

First thing was paint being prior service Marine anything OD or camo is bad ass :smokin:

Got bored with that so picked up a shell and did a camo job all over.

While I was doing this I was also commuting to work and using it as my DD until I scored this with a 22re swap already (with receipts of course) again off another good buddy. It was white so I rattle canned it satin black. This will be the crawler when the wife and I have kids.

Now I could work on my truck without fear of DD :D First thing was a bed bob. I took 10" out about starting 4" back from the tailight.

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Welded back up, not the prettiest never done body work. Bondo will take care of that!

Trimmed some off the rear quarter panel.

From there was boxing out the frame and building a small bumper.

I decided to remove the bed to work on the bumper better and weld everything easier also help me in setting up the 63's! :D Oh almost forgot about the new 37's :smokin:

Time for 63's, never done a leaf swap but it went well after many hours of reading pirate.

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On blocks and ready for the swap!

Frenched hangers from Ruff Stuff, beefy for sure!

After many measurements and triple checks, tack welded.

Done

Here are some more randoms and from now on I will try and keep a better photo log and updates, this was just to get started.

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weekend of the 23rd I am going to my buddies house to rebuild the knuckles, setup power steering, fab up the crossmember/ skid, welded rear, upgrade the trunion bearings, setup hy steer, weld on new shock hoops from Davez, build a better RUF leaf pack and install the new bilsteins! I will take pics of all the parts I have. List follows as such:

TG Steering arms
TG tie rod and drag link
4 new FJ80 tie rod ends
2 Bilstein 5125 14" for the front
Marlin Knuckle rebuild kit
Trunion bearings form Davez
Axle truss and gussets from TG
TG Stabilizer
Complete power steering setup
Welded third for the rear

Sure I am missing something I will take some pics and post up some more stuff later.

·
nice roach.
5,740 Posts
Looks good, Diggin the ride height and camo job. :grinpimp:

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, Diggin the ride height and camo job. :grinpimp:
Thanks. Yeah I learned years ago with my jeep about LCG. I would much rather cut my fenders, utilize bumpstops and keep her low and nothing beats a case a beer and some rattle cans to ease boredom. :D

Semper Fi! Love the build man!
Right on thanks! Oorah.

·
Registered
274 Posts
love the camo job. specially with the shell. bitchin build man. keep it up :smokin:

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and just a heads up when doing 63" spring swap I tried going eye to eye 11" on the front hanger and 4" eye to eye on the back but the shackle angle was all wrong. So I said Fawk it and decided not to let the driveline determine how I set the rear up so I did 7 3/4" eye to eye on the front hangers and with the hanger recessed into the frame an inch. My shackle angle is perfect and she rides like a caddy!

My axle is back a couple of inches and the DL still hooks up but only hanging on by about an inch of spline so getting that lengthened soon. Hmm now I have room for an extended cab maybe???? :smokin:

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great! Love the look of a SAS'ed 3rd gen.

So you're at ~107" WB now? Rear axle is about 4" behind stock location?
Did you move the front axle forward at all?
Thanks. I forgot yes the front is pushed 2" forward. Haven't measured the wheelbase yet but that sounds bout right.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
i like the 3rd gen looks good!

do u plan on getting bigger tires or stick with what u have

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like the 3rd gen looks good!

do u plan on getting bigger tires or stick with what u have
Yeah I have always been a fan of these style toyota's being a previous jeep guy and I like the 2wd no flare in the front fender. I have better frame clearances in the front also. :D

I will stick with these tires for awhile I think if I jump up again it will be to iroks or some creepy crawler 40's those are :smokin:

I like the looks of a 2wd SAS, nice work.

My next build will be a 2wd
Thanks dude. Post up some picks when you do.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey that's me in the first picture. Looks good Keith.

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks nice and low, whats the frame height under the door?
I am trying to keep it where it was at with the 33's. The frame height is 25 1/2, it will go up just a smidge with the leaf pack I am putting in up front.

Nice looking rig, now we have to wait until the snow melts so we can get on 4-Dice. If you see me up there, do not kill me!!!!!!!:flipoff2:
I cannot wait for the snow to melt holy crap I am pumped. I don't care what gas costs. Oh no killin, no worries :D

1 - 20 of 2143 Posts