Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 597 Posts

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started with a 1997 TJ. 4cyl, manual. I traded a stock CJ for it and the guy gave me $1500

THIS BUILD STARTED OUT WITH 1 TONS, 42'S ETC. IT HAS TAKEN A TWIST AND IS NOW 2 STEERING ROCKWELLS, INJECTED 496 BIG BLOCK, 16" COILOVERS, 49" IROK'S ETC......

Here is what I started with.

Here is how it all went down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting, pitman arm sheered off at the steering box? . What are the plans? It's hard to tell from the pics, but the tub looks like it's tweaked, what about the frame?

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made the road trip to TX to pick it up. Here is once I got it home.

I had bought some stuff I was going to use for my CJ build.
Dana 60 front.
14B rear.
Dana 300 with twin sticks.
Raptor 700R4.
42" TSL's

H1 Beadlocks.
TBI 350.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting, pitman arm sheered off at the steering box? . What are the plans? It's hard to tell from the pics, but the tub looks like it's tweaked, what about the frame?
Hold your breath. I'm about to show ya
:D

I bought it off a kid in TX that had it for 1 mo. He was in the service and saved his $ for a jeep when he got back home. He ran out and paid cash for it and didn't have full coverage. He was on his way to work going into Dallas when the pitman arm sheered right off the steering box. He went into the concrete median at 70 MPH. The jeep went over the median and into trafic on the other side where people were doing 70 at him. He slid across 3 lanes of trafic to a stop on the side of the road. The dude lived. I wanted something that was a total piece of $hit so when I got done I would realy have something to show all the work. But I didn't know it was this bad until I had already hauled my jeep there for the trade. No turning back now:D

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fenders and hood were shot.

I had to cut a hole in the side of the fender just to be able to unbolt them

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Talked my brother-in-law into helping me strip this dude down. And yes......The frame was bent. Very bent (in the front) Prob. 6" to the pass. side

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to get the motor, trans, and T case out.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pile of $hit that came off it.

Final pulling of the engine. The beefy (ugly) front tube bumper saved the front end of the jeep. The motor, trans, and T case were all in perfect shape. I started it and put it into gear to get it on the trailer. 4wd still worked perfect. But the control arms were trashed and the frame was tweaked from the firewall forward.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
At this point I gave Andy "Dookey" a call and had him help out with this a little:D Thanks for bringing the cold ones Andy!!

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
With all the trash out of the way it was now time to see how bad the frame was:eek:

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now the real fun begins:grinpimp:
I took out the big dog.

Spot welded in a temp. cross member to keep the frame in the same spot and made my first cut.

I made my cuts further forward than where I will end up but wanted to get all the bent up frame out of the way first so I could get to it a little better. Then I made a cut on the other half

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Off it fell:laughing:

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I picked up a used windshield frame that will be geting painted soon and new glass. I also had to pick up some new windshield hinges since the drivers side was trashed.

I bought a Highline hood from Chris Duram. I like the way it looks a lot and can't wait to get it on:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks like you have quite the project ahead of you, what are you going to run for suspension?

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like you have quite the project ahead of you, what are you going to run for suspension?
I hope Andy doesn't mind me posting pics of his rig, but I'm going to be blueprinting the front of my jeep off of his. As far as the steering, BTF truss, coilovers etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are u gonna do a 4 link like his or are u planning something different.

I like the looks of his jeep BTW, looks mean

EDIT: I still cant get over what you are starting with, I thought my jeep started out rough, I at least have a straight frame and body, just need to deal with a bit of rust on the tub, and lack of drivetrain/interior/steering. You are definitly going to be extremely proud when u finish.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few things I have siting around for my build
TBI 350

I put disk brakes on the 14 bolt

I still need to clean up all the trash on the 60 front that has been welded onto it.

I bought 6 42" TSL's

1 - 20 of 597 Posts