Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Is that fuel pump manifold a new option for Genright's tanks?

Overall looks good.
It's part of an aeromotive in tank solution. Not sure if you can order it on its own, but it does have a part number on it if you want me to send it your way:

https://genright.com/products/aeromotive-phantom-200-in-tank-fuel-pump-baffle-system.html

Genright makes this plate to adapt areomotive's stuff to their tank:

https://genright.com/products/aeromotive-to-genright-tank-fuel-pump-adapter.html

Looking around, it appears that maybe I need genright's fuel pump ring?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
So I talked to the folks at genright. It turns out that aeromotive adapter plate is made for new LJ and JK tanks and was never supposed to fit my tank. It's always something :rolleyes: To quote the genright dude: "You missed it by thaaaat much".

I decided I didn't want to miss it and I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that I get stuff from summit next day, so I ordered up a small collection of their AN-6 fittings to see what I could make work. Here's where I ended up:

45* male to female AN-6. I tried one from the summit brand, and two others, and this was the only one that threaded around just enough to tighten down AND clear. For those looking to follow in my dumbass footsteps(I don't recommended it), it's a Vibrant Performance Union Fitting 10772. Summit's part number is: VPE-10772. From there I threaded on a AN-6 to AN-8 adaptor since everything back to the motor is AN-8:

After all that, I thought I'd take a break from gas tank land for a while and get the jeep back on all fours, so I painted all my links:

After that, I threw the calipers back on the axle, swung it under the jeep again, and bolted everything back up (hopefully for the last time).

She's sitting about 2.5 inches too hight at the moment, but she is also missing a tail gate, back half of cage, back seat, rear bumper and tire carrier, spare tire, tools, and of course gas tank. I'm thinking it should be pretty close to where I want it once everything is loaded up.

Heading inside to eat dinner, I had to shake my head. It feels like this thing has come a long way, and yet not gone anywhere at all. :p
May 10, 2020

May 19, 2018

There are a lot of days I wonder if I'm a moron for cutting up a perfectly good jeep. :laughing:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Looks damn good. What's next?
I need to buy myself a bender, some 1.75 .120 wall and make the back half of my cage.

I put this part off because I keep hoping I'm going to find a deal on a bender or a 1.75" die, but I should probably just sack up and buy a new one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I need to buy myself a bender, some 1.75 .120 wall and make the back half of my cage.

I put this part off because I keep hoping I'm going to find a deal on a bender or a 1.75" die, but I should probably just sack up and buy a new one.
I've got a bender. Need a 1.75" die. I'm sure something could be worked out... :D

Also: plan on painting those fucking corners or going au natural shipwreck style? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I've got a bender. Need a 1.75" die. I'm sure something could be worked out... :D

Also: plan on painting those fucking corners or going au natural shipwreck style? :flipoff2:
I need to paint the whole jeep. That's last on the list tho.

I'll hit you up about your bender

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Did you find that tank used or did you buy a TJ one specifically? I've been looking at genright tanks to move mine back under the tub, but dang they're pricey. I get why though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
Did you find that tank used or did you buy a TJ one specifically? I've been looking at genright tanks to move mine back under the tub, but dang they're pricey. I get why though.
Found a guy selling it on the facebook marketplace for $800. Unless you want to make your own skid and straps for other tanks, they're pretty much the only game in town. I had a motobilt 18gal in the tub before, but that pretty much defeated the point of stretching the whole jeep for more kid and cargo space. I always had my eye on the TJ tank though, since the TJ tank is wider than the YJ(YJ version has to clear leaves and shackles.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Yeah I'm not attempting to make my own.

Guess I more meant why a TJ one over a YJ one, but those reasons make sense.
Yep. I think the TJ one holds one more gallon (18 vs 17). It was slightly more of a pain in the as to get the TJ tank to fit since the holes on on the back didn't line up with anything and I had to clearance part of the rear cross-member to clear the tank straps. After that I debated between trying to make my own carriage bolt holes and ghetto welding some nuts in there. Making carriage bolt holes seemed hard, sooo...

Bottom line though, I would have probably bought whichever one I found a deal on first.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
The wife gave me a big chunk of time this weekend to work on this thing. We've got a new baby due in less than a month, so we both know not much is going to get done once that happens. My goal is to at least get this jeep moving under its own power before thing.

To do that of course, I need a gas tank, so first thing's first- I gotta get that thing in there. Like I said above, there was some BS I had to do to the rear cross-member to get the TJ tank to fit in a YJ:

Then I had to drill the standard holes in the frame and sleeve it to bolt up the front of the tank. Somewhere a long time ago, I found some published Genright directions on what drill bit size to use and all that... I lost that info, so I sort of eyeballed it and it looked like a 5/8" would work. In my laziness, I kinda sorta didn't want to spend a lot of time working my way up to 5/8. So I messaged my conscience for permission. My conscience apparently was not amused:

The hole was perfect... except it turns out 9/16" was what I needed :laughing: whatever, I welded everything in place and you couldn't tell anyway.

The other side came out great using a 9/16 bit

It was almost time to swing the tank in, but before I did, I figured I'd add a trick little fuel pump access panel that I found on Genright's site:
Step 1- lets cut some more holes in our already full-of-holes tub.

Step 2- do some stuff and paint it

Step 3- beer (no picture)

Step 4 - add gas tank

Step 5- done

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
That night, my wife rust-shamed me. So that combined with Rockwood shaming me here was enough straw to break the camel's back. I decided to pull my corner arm and start cutting some holes to make myself feel like a man again(if you look closely you can see my teardrops on the ground after all that rust-bullying took its toll):

Kidding, I don't have any feelings left to hurt. Any wetness on the ground was from a rainstorm moving in, so I did what any smart person would do right before a rainstorm- I flap disc'd all the rust off and tried to paint some things(primer only, I didn't have any adult supervision):

That was boring, time-consuming, and my fingers got all paint-y, so I'm probably going to put off doing the other side for a while. Next up is to re-run all my brake lines, fuel lines, electrical lines, DMV lines, cocaine lines etc.

Once those are done, I pretty much need a new battery, some gas, and a rear driveline and I can drive this thing around the block again... oh, and some seats I guess.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fucking right I was shaming you. Mainly because I've said "I'll just bust rust later" just like you and regretted the shit out of it. Just like you. <where the fuck did the middle finger emoticon go?>

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Fucking right I was shaming you. Mainly because I've said "I'll just bust rust later" just like you and regretted the shit out of it. Just like you. <where the fuck did the middle finger emoticon go?>
ahahaha, your avatar cracks me up!... aaaand now I feel racist.

I found the middle finger emoticon over at pirate4x4.com

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Not sure how long I'll be willing to maintain this in two places, but for future reference, the whole project is also up at pirate4x4.com

ok, latest update:
So now I just realized I was so focused on getting the links, coilovers, and gas tank done that I hadn't really planned much after that. I went out to work on the thing after work and realized I was just standing there trying to figure out what to do.

So here's a quick check-list mainly for my own sanity and in no particular order because that would require more thinking that I'm willing to do right now:
  • Fuel lines re-run (Output, return, and breather). Also the genright tank appears to have come with a stock looking breather thingy on it? I'm gonna cap that.
  • Brake lines. Plan is to go hard line on the frame, flex hose jump to either upper or lower link arm(haven't decided), hard line down the link arm, flex hose jump to axle into T, then hard line out to each caliper hose
  • Wiring- Tail light, fuel pump, gas gauge sending unit, and rock lights. All pretty straight forward. Fuel pump and tail light wires are too short, I think I want to extend them rather than re-run the whole thing.
  • Put a sending unit in the gas tank. Forgot about that until yesterday. Derp. Ordered a cylinder version from summit last night.
  • Rear drive line. Currently working one out with Steve from South Bay Driveline. This guy knows everything
  • Steve reminded me I need to ditch my weenie 1310 yoke for on the atlas. Going to swap to 1350 so I only need to carry one size spare for rear driveline.
  • Reverse lights. This jeep never had any. I got a winters shifter back up light switch. Need to install and do wiring.
  • Fender toppers. I decided it was worth it for me to order motobilt's toppers rather than jimmy-jack around with trying to make my own since I have huge holes cut to clear coilovers and corner armor wheel cutout.
  • clearance for fuel bezel. There's sheet metal in the way. Imma cut that shit out when my bezel shows up and install it.
  • Cage. Need to rebuild back half. Plan is for family style cage that ties in mounts for the rear bench (maybe some car seat latch system hooks too). Also need to make sure it's tied in to the frame at the B and C pillars (A pillars are done).
  • Tailgate. I wanted to have it swing down, but I've got all the stuff for swing-out already and my bumper spare tire carrier swings out anyway. Someone talk me into doing more work for a proper drop-down tailgate.
  • Paint. yeah, at some point I need to paint stuff. Inside and out. I have no idea how to do paint stuff, so putting this off as long as possible.
  • Replace in tank fuel pump- long story full of fail. Replacement pump is in the mail
  • Put rocker protection back on
  • Put fender flares back on
  • Buy a damn LJ top and figure out how to make it fit. I already have the TJ seal for the windshield. Need to figure out TJ rails for the rear.
...I think that's it. Maybe? Ugh, that's a big list without much detail.

Anyway, here's a picture of where I'm at with the jeep ratchet-strapped down to ride height so I could send my driveline measurements to Steve:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
My fabrication skills are pretty weak and I don't really own the right tools for making a cage, so I figured I would do the right thing for the back half of this thing and try to build one one myself. https://pirate4x4.com/core/images/smilies/laughing.gif

I wonder how much of this tubing is going to actually make it into the cage and how much is going to wind up in the scrap pile?

·
Registered
231 Posts
My fabrication skills are pretty weak and I don't really own the right tools for making a cage, so I figured I would do the right thing for the back half of this thing and try to build one one myself. https://pirate4x4.com/core/images/smilies/laughing.gif

I wonder how much of this tubing is going to actually make it into the cage and how much is going to wind up in the scrap pile?

Most of it. LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Got a bender on loan from a friend. I decided that I should see if I could actually do this thing sooner rather than later.

So I put on my thinking cap and got to work. I haven't pushed the sin button on a calculator in 20 years until yesterday. I think the last time I used SOHCAHTOA was for the SATs in 1998. Note- drawing is not to scale https://pirate4x4.com/core/images/smilies/thefinger.gif:

After a sufficient amount of over-thinking, I decided to give it a go:

The tube is a little long where it connects to the tub because I wanted to leave some space for screw-ups. I don't have my wheel well tops on yet, so now I have to wait to cut until I know how much taller those end up. Guessing 4" right now, and the tube is already about 3" too long out of there, so I'll probably be taking ~7" off. As of right now, the part parallel with the tub is actually off by 2.5*. I also still needed to clean up where I cut the old tube off the b-pillar hoop and notch the new stuff on that side, except I lost my 1 3/4 hole saw https://pirate4x4.com/core/images/smilies/shaking.gif. Gonna run by the hardware store maybe tomorrow and pick up two new ones (one to use and another for when I lose that one). All said and done, it should move everything forward another 2" or so.

I was pretty happy with how my first bending attempt came out so I made one for the other side too:

In other news, I had a big win on the shipping front. I finally got my back-ordered fuel bezel so I could check and see if my attempt at hacking out a hole to fit it was actually correct. I got a lot closer than I thought I would:

Stoked. Some people are probably wondering why I got plastic instead of blinding aluminum or whatever. I like plastic because I don't get sad when I drag it across rocks. https://pirate4x4.com/core/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
https://pirate4x4.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

https://pirate4x4.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Attachments

201 - 218 of 218 Posts