Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 218 Posts

·
P.B.A.
4,434 Posts
Either move the shackle back. Or move front hanger forward. Maybe just tack it for now and wait until you get more weight on everything. I’m going to be doing the same to finalize my leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You gotta move the hangers back. That’s what I did on my stretch build. Of course I cut the frame a bit differently. Took the opportunity to upgrade to some beefy Motobilt hangers.

You can see how far back I moved mine here.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm guessing the rear shackles bottoming out on the frame are the issue. Pulled the trigger on the Motobilt YJ Stretch Kit to move my rear hangers back 5 or so more inches.

I'm thinking that should fix it. If not, next step is to try and ignore the fact that ruffstuff is having a sale on their link kits and move the front hangers back instead.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey, ruffstuff is having a sale on their link kits:flipoff2:
For some reason, the Minister of Finance at my house doesn't see the value that could be added by trailing arms, coilovers, and bypasses. We're still in negotiations, but it's not looking good.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
For some reason, the Minister of Finance at my house doesn't see the value that could be added by trailing arms, coilovers, and bypasses. We're still in negotiations, but it's not looking good.

It’s all in how you sell it... You can do it!

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I was actually just kidding cause I read it in your post, but I'm sure you knew that.
Honest comment would be, don't do it, because you already have a plan in action. Moving the spring mounts will work exactly as needed.

Now you can always pickup a link kit for phase 2:flipoff2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was actually just kidding cause I read it in your post, but I'm sure you knew that.
Honest comment would be, don't do it, because you already have a plan in action. Moving the spring mounts will work exactly as needed.

Now you can always pickup a link kit for phase 2:flipoff2:
I agree. I'm trying to get everything done for KoH in February and I shouldn't be jimmy jacking around with the rear suspension... The hard part is everything is all stripped down right now and ready to go and going 60 mph through the whoops sounds like it would be a pretty good time. It doesn't help that every friend who comes over to drink beer and stare at it has to go and talk about links. Then just when I was talking myself back into leaf springs, I get that stupid ruffstuff email on my phone. ugh.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Motobilt has some awfully nice and beefy spring hangers for a very reasonable price. Those are the hangers I used front and rear.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
But RuffStuff offers financing now. Surely the Minister of Finance will appreciate your fiscal responsibility :flipoff2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
But RuffStuff offers financing now. Surely the Minister of Finance will appreciate your fiscal responsibility :flipoff2:
yeah, she loves it when I incur debt and interest payments on my rusty pile of depreciating assets in the driveway. :laughing:

Motobilt kit should get here Tuesday. Hoping to get it tacked up next week and see what happens.

Question for all you leaf spring smart people: the bolt size for my beater 63" chevy springs is bigger than the bolt size for my stock hanger up front(and most likely my fancy new motobilt hangers out back). What does everyone do for this? Drill out the hangers or struggle with pressing out the bushings and find some that are a smaller size?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Tell her it will make it more stable and be safer. Tell her coil overs are cool. Tell her to make you a sandwich.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
yeah, she loves it when I incur debt and interest payments on my rusty pile of depreciating assets in the driveway. :laughing:

Motobilt kit should get here Tuesday. Hoping to get it tacked up next week and see what happens.

Question for all you leaf spring smart people: the bolt size for my beater 63" chevy springs is bigger than the bolt size for my stock hanger up front(and most likely my fancy new motobilt hangers out back). What does everyone do for this? Drill out the hangers or struggle with pressing out the bushings and find some that are a smaller size?
I'd drill those hangers out in a heartbeat rather then try to burn out and install new leaf spring bushings. What shape are the bushings in?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I’d say run it. Unless they’re super rotted and it’s allowing the bushing sleeve to move around too much. You can always grab a set and replace them
on the lake bed if needed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I’d say run it. Unless they’re super rotted and it’s allowing the bushing sleeve to move around too much. You can always grab a set and replace them
on the lake bed if needed.
Oh man. I'm going to try and limit the number of lakebed repairs necessary this year. It really cut into happy hour.

21 - 40 of 218 Posts