Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Got my fenders in and started getting them installed. I primered the front and installed them and got the grill 2 in lift installed. still need to get the fan shroud reinstalled. I still need to get a motor mount lift. 2 inches would be nice but I think only 1 in is avail.

Still need to primer the rear and get the front inner fenders. or I will make my own out of some 1/16 th in steel.

·
GIJEEPN
594 Posts
you can do a 1" MML with out a bodylift, so since you installed a 1.5" Body Lift for the Backhalf kit, you would conceivably install a 2.5" MML and have a flater belly. however, browndog only sells up to a 2" MML.

lol

Looks good bro.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
got to do some work on the Jeep today. I received some nice items for Christmas and was itching to start working on them.

First thing I got was a set of Shock Hoops. I proceeded to tack the first one in place and get the shock and mounts tacked in place.

as you can see here the shock sits just under the grill stabilizer.

Here you can see the angle the shock is sitting at ride height

83.9 deg only 6.1 deg off 90 looking good so far

In this view you can see my up-travel that I have should be able 5 in before hitting the bump-stop

Second I received a Poison Spyder Tailgate. I have decided to modify this and add a storage box to the inside of the tailgate so store my straps and such.

Here are some pics of the progress of the box build.

Third I received a front antirock swaybar and I have it almost installed I will however have to fab up some axle mounts for this kit.

fourth I received a set of Poison Spyder inner fenders you can see one of these in the shock pic. I did however have to trim them to fit the shock.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am not sure why they are not showing up for you I can see them just fine.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
got so spend a little more time on the Jeep today. the tailgate is about 90% installed and the fuel cell is about 80% installed.

I decided to install the fuel cell front to back to make room for a bucket seat for my daughter to right with me. What is left for the fuel cell is to run lines and figure out a way to mount the Evep canister between the tank and the wheel well. Should not be too hard.

Got the tailgate in place and adjusted. still got a few holes to drill and some more hinges to buy for the storage box I mounted to the inside. My daughter was helping me by using the dead blow hammer on the tire. lol

As you can see here there is a .15 in gap between the storage box and the fuel cell. I will however be adding some rubber edging around the tank just in case. Still need some hinges and a latch for the box door. and it will be complete.

If I can find a small tank of 100% argon I might weld the corners of the box but until then it will stay with rivets. I am also debating on changing the bolts that are holding the box to the tapered ones that came with the fenders. but still thinking on that one.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
After a long break from working on the Jeep I found myself in the hospital for 4 days and realized I was having withdrawls from not being able to work on the Jeep. JK I was in the Hospital but all is well and I am out and feeling great. I was able to get some time off work after my hospital stay and have been spending the last few days working on the Jeep and getting some items finished up.

First I was able to get the aluminum storage box I made for my Tailgate welded up and due to my crapy welds I had to flap disc it to make it look presentable. I also was using old aluminum and had to flap disc the body and door to get the crap off it. Here is the finished product.

I spent the last few months trying to figure out how I was going to move my Evep Canister to keep the emissions BS on so I can still drive it on the street. After all this time I finally figured out how I was going to mount it. I had to design a new mount and run all new lines. I was able to draw out the way I am running the fuel system and got all the parts ordered. I am still waiting for a few more items but it is almost complete.

As shown before the fuel cell is mounted long way to leave room for a rear seat for my daughter to ride with me. I decided to use the floor in front of the fuel cell and behind the front pass seat to put the Evap system.

Fuel cell with lines run

side view of vent lines

Evap Mount front and back, I still need to mount it to the floorboard

Removed the rear axle again to get the upper mount centered and ready to be welded into place.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I also got almost all of my Control Arms welded up however I still have one left to weld up. the upper for the front three link still needs to be welded up. I am trying to get the Engine pulled this week/weekend so that I can get the inner frame cleaned up from cutting old mounts. I am also looking at upgrading to a set of headers and a whole new exhaust system to keep the control arms from hitting it. Here is the rear of the Jeep with the axle pulled out. the two control arms in the pic are the upper arms that will connect to the mount in the previous post. Amd yes that is a cat litter box catching coolant. lol

·
GIJEEPN
594 Posts
I spent the last few months trying to figure out how I was going to move my Evep Canister to keep the emissions BS on so I can still drive it on the street. After all this time I finally figured out how I was going to mount it. I had to design a new mount and run all new lines. I was able to draw out the way I am running the fuel system and got all the parts ordered. I am still waiting for a few more items but it is almost complete.

As shown before the fuel cell is mounted long way to leave room for a rear seat for my daughter to ride with me. I decided to use the floor in front of the fuel cell and behind the front pass seat to put the Evap system.

Fuel cell with lines run

side view of vent lines

Looks great bro.

However, it looks like you ran the original feed and vent lines to the evap canister. Those connections DO NOT have a roll over valve in them stock. Unless you put one in, when you get off camber with a semi full tank you will get raw fuel into the evap canister. not a good thing.

Might get a few roll over valves and install them on the tank end of the lines.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
@Grronk - Thanks for the post.

@tubender - Thanks for the comment

If anyone has any suggestuions I am open to them

I spent this last week working on the Jeep and making some real progress.

First I finished up the Upper Axle side mount and got it welded on. I also touched up the paint on the axle to keep the rust down.

After finishing the rear axle I started working on the cross member for the rear lower links at the frame. What I did is I currently have a skid plate from a Rubicon Express long arm lift and decided I would use that to mount my cross member. I took a piece of 2" .25 wall square tubing and cut out a .25" run from side to side and slid the tubing onto the skid plate. Then I welded the tubing onto the skid. this really added some weight to the skid. then I found the exact center of the skid and mounted the control arm mount to the tubing.
sorry for the pic quality on this one

Then I moved the axle back under the Jeep and connected the Rear links to get it hooked in.

After getting the links in I did some measuring and found that I am 7/8 in off to the right and need to move the axle left 7/16 of an inch to be exact center. with the double triangulation I am not 100% sure how to do this without cutting welds and moving arms. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are some side rear view of both sides of the Jeep as it currently sits.

I have decided since I am doing so many changes to the Jeep I am going to change the color also. Getting away from the Detonator Yellow and going with this.

ITs called Mango Tango Pearl and I think it will look great.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
The last thing I did before quiting for the weekend was pull the engine. it was getting in the way when trying to clean the old links from the frame. so Out comes the Engine, Trans, and T-case. I have so much room now.

I noticed when I was test fitting the upper front link the Exhaust was in the way so I cut the old exhaust out and will be installing a new exhaust to include a new manifold/Header. Hopefully I can find a shop to install that without a Cat and the smallest muffler avail.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I ordered the last of my Fuel system parts and ordered the balance beads for the beadlocks I am building. I was also able to get the Brake Proportioning valve and a nice new tubing Notcher. everything should be here next week lets hope for some more parts I have for sale to sell so I can get the rest of the parts for the brakes and get the headers I am looking at.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I ordered balance beads I have used them before and they worked great

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Got to work on the Jeep some this weekend.

picked up a tubing/pipe notcher and started working on the rear shock mounts. A tubing bender would have come in handy but I didn't have the funds to spend on a bender.

First I was able to center up the axle and get the links up and in place.

Also got the shocks in the aproxamate location they will be when finished

I realized when I mounted the bar from the B to the C pillar I forgot to measure twice and cut once. and had to make a modification the the upper shock mount. but I think it turned out really good. (I am aware my welds are not perfect lol)

oiled and gasses up the shocks and got the Jackstands off this bad bitch

Full stuff (no gas in shocks)

current ride height (might be going up 1 in or so more.)

Current Stance side views. ( I still have the engine out and need to reinstall)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I have one last control arm to get welded in and set in place but I need to make a few changes to the mount before welding it. I am thinking about cutting a notch in the frame and sliding the frame mount in a little. it currently sticks out a little too much. it will hit the trans bell housing.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts