Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I had been kicking around the idea of getting a first gen toyota and i finally found a good one. I needed another project anyways so here it goes.

The first pictures are really shiatty but i will get better ones tomorrow.

Its an 1983 short bed. Its pretty straight. The cab is almost perfect the only real dent is in the drivers fender. The bed is pretty good it has a few spots of rust. Not to much cancer. I'm sure I can weld in some small patch panels and call it good.

The only bad thing about it is there is a hole in the side of the block about the size of my hand. I'm ordering a rebuild kit for one of the motors i have setting around my house and I'm going to rebuild it this month.

Well Like the title says yes I'm sad to say but this will most likely end up being the girlfiriends. But Its ok I need something to keep me busy during the school year.

More to come...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some better pictures. I might get a new bed for it if I can find one that is a little straighter but this one is pretty decent. For $600 I can't really complain

The drivers side of the bed seems to be the worst, it has the most cancer and little wrinkles.

This is the only major dent in the cab section.

Interior Pretty straight dash is cracked in two little spots. And the amazing thing is the floor boards are still there.

Right now I have no progress pictures this is just kind of the beginning of the trucks new life.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
You can't name your project that without REAL girlfriend pics!

Or am I going to have to rename this thread to:
Lets call this one Project BoyFriend :lmao:

PS:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

rick brings da funay :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You can't name your project that without REAL girlfriend pics!

Or am I going to have to rename this thread to:
Lets call this one Project BoyFriend :lmao:

PS:

Guys guys... You do realize that 16 will make you do 10 right. Shes a little to young for you all. I think you all have forgotten how old I am... :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
You guys are lucky--I don't have such powers :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'll subscribe to this thread when he stops bitchin about a 600 dollar ol' school yota in that condition:flipoff2:

·
Registered
619 Posts
those Jegs stickers are teh hawt.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah another first gen build
$600 is a great deal I paid $500 with a trashed cab, no motor...sitting in a field

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Title has been fixed.... Welcome to PBB! :flipoff2:
Haha:lmao: Wow you have to love PBB! Rick I don't think you could have picked a better title for this build up.

I'll subscribe to this thread when he stops bitchin about a 600 dollar ol' school yota in that condition:flipoff2:
Oh no thats not what i meant I wasn't bitching about the condition. Its just i kind of have always wanted a fully restored first gen. That is all. I know for 600 i cant complain much. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I tore into one of the many toyota motors that i had laying around. I got one piston out and it looked fine then I moved on to the second cylinder and relized that one of the wrist pin keepers had not been put on when someone rebuilt it last or it had acctually broke and fallen off. Well To make the story short the wrist pin move out and was wearing groves into the side of the cylinder wall. So that block was fawked! And the fact that the rod bearings on the cylinder were not even there anymore, well i mean only half of the top one was there the other half.... i don't know where it went.. I think it had acctually been ground up and was just hanging out in the oil. :mad3:

So I had to find another motor to start rebuilding. Well come to find out i had forgot about a motor that my friend had in his shop. It was even an EFI motor. The only thing wrng with it is a blown head gasket. And the best part it was FREE!:flipoff2: Now the question is do i want EFI swap this truck? Only time can tell.

Here are some pictures. Nothing much but i wanted to show some of the carnage!

Well I could weld the block back together I think i have all the pieces...:D

Can you see the crank and the rod?

nothing special but the new power plant just started tearing into it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have ALL of that new power plant?? early injected 22re
's are cool...I have a couple late 83 injected trucks...
Yes sir. I have everything except for the exhaust manifold... I don't know whether or not i'm doing the EFi swap yet. I have the gas tank from my first build up but no sending unit or pump. I know that I have the ecu for the motor but the only thing i missing is the fuel lines and the wiring harness. I know that my friend has the harness but it got cut into and i don't know if i want to dick around with rewiring it all. I'm sure i could get the wiring diagram and make a harness since i have to rewire for the first gen cluster anyways. I think i will figure it out once i get to puling the old motor out and start removing the bed and cab. I figure that if i do pull the cab it should be really easy to run the fuel lines and put the new tank in and all that good stuff.

Well I got some more work done today.

I got the head off.

Then pulled all the internals

And now its just a bare block awaiting a good cleaning and some fresh parts and some paint.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts