Pirate 4x4 banner

721 - 737 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
As an "East Coast" (close enough) kind of guy, I can't even comprehend trying to drive that.
Up until portals have hit the scene that line was only got with lots of throttle and big balls....my lo-budget buggy just torque twists and lifts the LF wheel when trying to crawl it.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
What are you gaining with the portals that is changing it? ground clearance, deeper gearing?
With portals you gain all of that ^ plus you get the added bonus(and huge advantage IMO...), because there are geared hubs at the end of the axle tubes....there isn't much if any induced chassis torque twist like there is with regular axle.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
How about the full on out of the box revision.... none of the original attachment points actually moved... I just cut the ends off the main rails and did straight tubes to attach the points in a different way.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
was good chatting with you on fb the other night glad to see the stuff on pirate to i love this place and hate seeing it not as alive as it once was

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
was good chatting with you on fb the other night glad to see the stuff on pirate to i love this place and hate seeing it not as alive as it once was
A lot of the good builders have left to never return around here.... the softer gentle pirate4x4 doesn’t get the traffic it used to for sure!

Hopefully some new builds make a comeback around here..... maybe stuff like this gets ya building something new too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A lot of the good builders have left to never return around here.... the softer gentle pirate4x4 doesn’t get the traffic it used to for sure!

Hopefully some new builds make a comeback around here..... maybe stuff like this gets ya building something new too!
Love your build Rock Ape! Could i ask how L x W X H of your chassis? Also curious how long your lower links are ? Thanks for the great build thread !!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
Love your build Rock Ape! Could i ask how L x W X H of your chassis? Also curious how long your lower links are ? Thanks for the great build thread !!
Im pretty sure the chassis size is somewhere in this thread but its length 99" width 39" height 42-46" Ill have to measure link lengths.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
10 years later, I finally snagged one of these. Unfortunately it hasn't had the easiest life, so I'm cleaning up a few things and making it more service friendly. I can't wait to see how it compares to my other two rear steer cars.

Used and abused!

Im surprised you took off all those sweet accessories......:flipoff2: It probably weighs closer to mine now!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #735
Well... it’s sold... should be on its way to the east coast as soon as a shipper is found!

If anyone knows a hotshot shipper that is interested in taking this from Reno Nv to Pennsylvania PM me!

721 - 737 of 737 Posts