Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
?

Looking at the front upper mounts, it seems counterintuitive to place the joints on their "side". Wouldn't that cause more wear in the ball? I admit I know little, just trying to understand the thinking.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Shouldn’t be an issue. With Heims I’ve seen claims that this orientation is “more correct” due to the fact that they are mostly side loaded. Several engineers have told me it’s bs. I’ve seen this done many times before and imo it makes for a stronger bracket. I’m not worried about it, if it fails I will post up.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
Yeah, the advantage in the bracket seems obvious.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I like that bump stop mount/landing pad! May steal the idea for my TJ stretch. Originally I was looking at doing something similar to what you had on the white Jeep with the extended can mount, but I like this better, assuming that I have enough room to clear the tire at full flex. If not, I guess I'm back to the original plan.

·
Rolling Mod
42,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
I like that bump stop mount/landing pad! May steal the idea for my TJ stretch. Originally I was looking at doing something similar to what you had on the white Jeep with the extended can mount, but I like this better, assuming that I have enough room to clear the tire at full flex. If not, I guess I'm back to the original plan.
Yeah, I was happy with what I had, then I saw this. I prefer the less stick out (less leverage on the frame). Mike came up with it and I am happy. Having JK width axles opens up some options.

Also the bump is more inline w/ shock which I prefer.

Edit: found pics of old setup, shocks were inline w/ bumps pretty good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
What air bumps are those? Don't think I have ever seen any with that style pad on them before. It almost looks like a secondary bump stop. Am I seeing things?

·
Rolling Mod
42,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
What air bumps are those? Don't think I have ever seen any with that style pad on them before. It almost looks like a secondary bump stop. Am I seeing things?
Longfranks has Synergy budget bumpstops.
https://www.polyperformance.com/sus...raps/synergy-budget-bumpstop-for-air-bump-can
The are aluminum bar with a daystar bumper.

The white Jeep had Edelbrock bumps that I made way back when.

LongFranks was done this way in case I decide I want an airbump down the road. The fabrication is done.

Attachments

·
P.B.A.
4,463 Posts
Longfranks has Synergy budget bumpstops.
https://www.polyperformance.com/sus...raps/synergy-budget-bumpstop-for-air-bump-can
The are aluminum bar with a daystar bumper.

The white Jeep had Edelbrock bumps that I made way back when.

LongFranks was done this way in case I decide I want an airbump down the road. The fabrication is done.
Funny I just ordered all the stuff to do this. I’m still trying to find a clean way to do a landing pad on my leaf springs.

Anyways awesome rig.

·
Rolling Mod
42,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I am 99% sure they are custom. The rear JK bump bracket is for a straight frame vs the curved TJ frame.

It is hard to have off the shelf parts like that due to how much people's setup varies. Not many people have their axle in roughly the stock position to make plates for.

I did a similar deal on my jeep, just made them from 3/16, but did add a rib behind the can to the bottom of the frame. I felt that was important.

Been 2-3 years like that with a lot of hard bump hits and they're still solid.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts