Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fresh off rolling and parting out my 4runner I traded my high school project car for this colorful lady.

How I got it:
95 YJ 2.5L with ax5 and 231 with 185k
3" SUA lift springs 33s d30/35

Had a blast with it as it was, went on a few trips, added those fancy tube fenders, took it on a few more trips and redlined every shift around town.

After my rolling experience I thought I'd get on the safety equipment ASAP. Used a Synergy sport cage with some tweaks.

Welder buddy getting after it.

Jeepin

Added some Crow 5pts and suspension seats. Here is how the cage ended up, I know the distances are a little off and I should've had all those top tubes converge at one point, but oh well.

I bought an 03 Super Duty D60 and a 14bolt, air shocks, an SM420 along the way as well with big plans/dreams. Couldn't figure out if she should go under the knife asap or just stockpile and blast the 30/35 combo.

Kept wheelering it, blew a bead up at a Bald Mountain snow trip (when we had snow)

Got tired of taping my tail light on so I bought some Poison Spyder comp cut corners and was installing them on a Friday night and someone suggested Pismo the next day. I wasn't happy on the idea, but I went along anyway.

Poop. I did it again.

Passenger and I walked out unscathed. Very lucky once again, but having the cage/seats/harnesses definitely saved us a trip to the ER.

Landed shackles first. Broke the springs, punched the front output side off the tcase with the driveshaft, etc.

That was 2 years ago this week.

Replaced the front springs with some 7 leaf waggys and got a CJ grill, hood, and windshield frame/windshield as those were all casualties.

Doing some mock up.

Dicked around with the d60 more, sold the 14bolt, was broke, was lazy, then realized what the hell am I thinking. Having a tow rig and trailer is not feasible for me right now and a one ton 4cyl yj isn't really what I want to be driving to the trail. So I broke down and sold my 60 and decided I was happy with 35s.

Bought a full float 9" housing out of a dirt track car on CL for what I thought was a steal, but after all the added parts, building a 3rd on the cheap and getting it all to jive it turns out CL axles are expensive. Ended up with a "nascar takeout" detroit, 4.86s, 31sp inner 24sp outer, full float 9. Used Chevy front brakes, unknown rotors, and bored out wheel adapters to convert the 2.5" Gran National hub's 5 on 5 to 5 on 5.5. That only took a year to piece together.

Bought a 241C with an SYE, changed the input to a 21spliner, and got some yokes to work with the 1310s and that is sitting in there.

Stretched the rear at first with some tacoma leaves but they turned out to be too flat. Now have some 2wd F150 springs and the added arch really helps.

On Taco springs:

Now I've sank my teeth into a front d44. Bought it thinking it was a waggy 44 but after getting it mocked up it looks like it is ~64.5" WMS to WMS. The inners I got with it seem to be closest to a late model J10? It now has matching 4.88s, an ancient but unused prior RD07 ARB, chevy flat tops with high steer knuckles, blahblah. Again, had a hell of a time piecing this thing together. Finding parts for a 44 is not as easy as I thought it'd be, but I am cheap.

Still have some machine work to do on spindles for the front, still need to get the 44 under my jeep.

I'm considering cutting the front of the frame off just forward of the motor mounts to run some 2x4 straight forward and get rid of the hump in the frame and to have a clean slate for steering box mounting. I do intend to use those same waggy springs though, I'll probably have to build some crazy drop hanger.

Posted this up to hopefully keep me motivated. I miss being the pilot on wheeling trips and I want this thing to move again.

TLDR Edit: Had jeep, rolled it, jeep hasn't moved in 2 years. Trying to chip away at the mass of project I've created.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the 44 I bought was disassembled at the time of purchase and came with shafts. I assembled it with my new outers and whatnot and the shafts seem right, but measure to what shafts for an 86-87.5 J10 d44 should (according to the Mr.N chart). I bought it thinking it was a Waggy axle, thats why I'm a little worried about them. The WMS to WMS looks around 64.5?

I'm looking to buy some chromo inners and looks like I'll need to get some custom ones made for that application. Anyone have a way to be sure these are the right shafts? I put grease on the splines and it looks like it goes into my ARB about an inch? Seems right?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump,

Here is my 9" hiding under there with the F150 leafs.

Got my 44 all assembled, was a little quicker than the 9".

Pressed my CTMs in my stubs, still haven't ordered inners.

Cut some new front frame rails tonight, 2x4 .188. Plan is to chop off the front frame just forward of the motor mounts and start with a clean slate for the steering box, fender/grill mounts, and radiator mount.

Sorry about shit phone pics. Need new phone but have spent all dollars on parts.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a coworker tig up my front frame piece and made a steering box mount.

Just using a YJ box with a waggy pitman arm. Hopefully should be attached by the end of the weekend with the 44 slung under it.

Wow, new phone did not improve photo skills.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alrighty, prepped for the frame transplant Friday night and got all the crap out of the way:

Got the cooler packed up, nothing like an ice cold cooler beer while jeepin.

Saturday morning started the CHOP session. Bought a carbide sawzall blade (6" Diablo carbide 8TPI from THD) and it worked much better than expected. Would recommend it.

After some bubble level magic and a little cuttoff wheel later the axle was hung ("not necessarily"):

Hole saw'd a spot for the shackle bushing in the frame, if I were going to do it again I'd space it down a little farther, flush with the bottom of the frame instead of centering it. Used a Synergy 4300-175 with a 4301-175-090 for the 9/16 bolt.

Turned out pretty well for just guessing where the bushing tube should go. Might want to up to a 7" shackle from the 6" to get the spring away from the frame a bit, but I guess I'll have to see once its on tires and I add fenders/winch/etc

Thanks Dan for coming over and dropping some change with the old Millermatic 35! Sunday was a loss, the 20% thunderstorms turned into 12 hours of torrential rainfall complete with lightning and midwest level thunder. Apparently all California needed was me to glue some bare metal to my jeep to get crazy perspiration. Thanks weather :shaking:.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well BUMP here.

Once I finished up the axle swap/front frame I had to move out. All my stuff went to storage and I've been bumming at a friend's. Thanks Brad.

Barbie got a new home for now:

I knew my front end was way too low so I bought a new set of BDS 4" Waggy springs 004402. Next to my stock waggy springs:

Height with the new springs:

I like it, needs some shims to get my pinion angle and castor in line.

Pulled the clocking ring out between my tcase and trans as the tcase input was not hitting the trans seal. Now my tcase is way too high and I need to do some surgery. Yay.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been slowly chipping away at things on her. Finished plating the inside of the new frame to old frame, got my lower radiator mount back in, and ran some brake lines.

Took a few weekends off to work on a friend's jeep in trade for taking it wheeling. Went out to hollister, the lady and I had a good trip. Took like 4 pictures, too busy jeepin.

Decided I should take my front leaf pack apart and bump it out to check clearances. I am pretty happy with it. Have to make a toyota style spacer for the inside shackle but it should work fine. Looks like ~5" of up travel which I am very happy with.

Steering all clear:

Spring eye is hitting frame as my bump point:

Plenty of clearance with the old 35's. Have some newer 35's I need to find 17" wheels for.

Was a full day of Jerpin. Going to attempt shock hoops tomorrow, hopefully I can have her back on the ground tomorrow with shocks roughly mounted.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rain has been keeping progress on this to a minimum.

Got some time to think about my winch mount, as thats my last big step in the front before I feel like I can set my castor and burn in my shock hoops and mounts.

My steering box takes up most of the real estate on the inside driver frame rail and I wanted to leave it alone and easily serviced so I decided to mount my winch only to the passenger's side and front frame rails. This is 2x2x.120 with 1 3/8 sleeves for the winch bolts. Lady friend helped out by mentioning a few times "that doesn't look straight" and she was correct.

Plan on tacking it all up, tack to jeep, remount to check it still all fits, then burn it in. I would like to do a nice top plate over with some dimpled holes.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Welded on my winch mount, seems like it'll work well. Its offset a bunch to the passenger's side to keep out of the steering box. Could've been more centered, but oh well.

Did some tube work this weekend. Not too bad for my first tube project.

I like the profile of it, I was hoping it'd meet with the fender tubes better, but it is what it is at this point.

Next I want to make some new steering lines and get everything where it goes and fit/mount my grill.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I really like how you tied the front end together with the shock hoops looks good and seems functional. Keep the updates coming.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Nice build, I like where you're going with this and good execution.

Not sure if you've ordered inner axles or not. I ran a Waggy for years, sometimes called a narrow track Full Size Jeep (FSJ) axle. It was 60.5" WMS-WMS stock, going five lug changes that to 61.5" and going eight lug nets 62.5. I was eight lug. Then I upgraded to a wide track FSJ axle. I believe these were found under Cherokee Chiefs as well as J-trucks. I am pretty sure I ended up 66.5" WMS-WMS with the eight lug hubs. Sooo, sounds like you have the wide track FSJ axle which would be 64.5 WMS-WMS stock or 65.5" on five lug hubs. Oh crap, I have no clue what you have ;)

I do suggest you try to run the winch brace from frame rail to frame rail or drop it down and mount to the front cross member with the feet pointing forward. As mounted now that unsupported end is going to lift and put the winch drum in a bind or worse.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, this is still a thing. Rented a shop space with a buddy, moved the Jeep over there and had a bunch of stuff going on. Got to drive the camera crew for Ultimate Adventure, participated in Cheap Truck Challenge, and helped Fred with a bunch of little projects. Also my girlfriend moved in with me, which has actually been helpful. I hear "don't you have a Jeep to go work on?" more than I used to. Sold my Stak doubler project tcase and bought a Teralow 4:1 231. Should be plenty for what I want to do with my Jeep.

Pulled the front springs to swap to poly bushings from the stock style bonded ones and tore down my 44 again to double check inner shaft lengths before ordering some custom inners.

Bought a Novak shifter, still in the process of getting that dialed in.

FINALLY mounted my grill. Just used the captured nuts in the grill from the fender mounts.

Got my chromos from Dutchman and reassembled the axle. Shafts look really nice and had a quick turnaround. Installed with CTMs and yukon chromo outers.

Buddy made me a nice label.

Since the springs were out I took them apart again, got some square u bolts, some 1/2" round stock, and a chevy u bolt top plate from ebay and made my own dynatrac style u bolt flip. Mounted my bump pads on top of the spring plates.

Gusseted:

Then tore the whole front end down for some finish welding, cleaning, and paint.

The shop we rent is at a house and the owners have an offer to sell, so I have to think about moving this thing again. I'm going for broke this time and trying to drive it out of this shop by the end of October. We'll see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had an exciting Friday night. Did the wrong type of wheeling. Wire wheeling. Lots of rust cleanup since this thing sat outside for a long time. None of my welds are perfect, but whatever, I'm running them.

Painted up:

Got my axle and springs back under there. With the addition of the bump stops I have to move the brake lines I made, not a big deal.

Bumps are stock JK rear bumps, they're pretty sizable and fairly soft and should work well. I have another set to use in the rear, but no cups. I took these from a JK getting air bumps so I'll have to make a set of cups on my own.

Bump pads are a piece of 1/4" plate that I used a little bigger than 3" hole saw on and enlarged the center hole to just over 3/8". Welded a 3/8" UNC nut on the back so I can use a JK bump stop spacer later on if I put huge tires on or change shocks or something. Probably totally unnecessary.

Got the axle under. The new u bolt setup gained a ton of ground clearance.

Learned how to rebuild and valve shocks. Big shout out to onepersonriot for the tutorial. Nothing exploded when we charged them, so that was good. Went with an 8 stack on compression and a 15 stack on rebound. These are 12" remote resi's.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts