Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Fronts are BDS 4" lift Wagoneer springs, rears are early f150 (86-94?) 2wd rear springs from rockauto (32" long side springs). I couldn't beat a new pair of springs from rockauto for my current hangers and shock mounts for 300$ shipped. If I had more uptravel with the rear springs I'd definitely hit up Deaver to make me a new pack, but with my ride height and travel wants, links are the ticket. They could be a good option in the front.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I made a bastard pack out of jc whitney waggy springs, and some chrysler minivan rear leaves to soften up the waggy's.

I kind of miss the cheap experimenting you could do with a yj, or a cj.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Big Update:

Was trying to chip away at little bs hoping to get this thing ready for a Baja trip in April.

Swapped out ball joints on the drivers side, lower was blown out.

Got my sliders powdercoated and reinstalled

Had my spare tire/wheel balanced and got it kinda where I want it to live. I have to air down the tire and ratchet strap it to get it down to the 35" opening where the tailgate would be. Still need to figure out how to keep it in place, but it fits.

Figured having a spare with no air in it is pretty dumb, so wanted to get some on board air. I didn't feel like I have room for a CO2 tank, so I went with a used ARB compressor. This is totally separate of my ARB locker compressor and plumbing. Used a Motobilt compressor bracket and some isolator bushings from McMaster. I bought a 2 gallon Viair tank, but I'm not sure I'm going to find a good home for it anytime soon, so just going to run the compressor without it for now.

Can see both compressors here:

Tore down front axle and swapped some seals and ended up changing ball joints out on the other side too before Mexico.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So prior to Mehico I did a rear end check, and found my rear third was cracked inside. So I replaced that with a Nitro gear Nod 3.25" 3rd housing. Had a heckin blast in Baja. Not sure I'd recommend rock crawlers in Baja, but it was one for the record books. Here is a pic dump:

Cheese Pasta

Stayed one night at Horsepower Ranch outside of Ensanada and 2 nights at the Old Mill in San Quintin. It is a whole other world. 100% would recommend/return. Food was crazy good and pretty cheap. Margaritas were too good. Chiliquilles cure hangovers. I think about ordering buckets of Dos Equis at an oceanview restaurant in Puerto Nuevo almost daily.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Also weighed this lady. This is tools, spares, spare tire, no people, no clothes, no coolers or beer.

I pretty much just let it sit until a week before this Rubicon trip as only the rear baja basket was a casualty of Baja, so I decided to make a more Baja ready basket mount:

Basket mounts directly on top of these tubes with side tabs. Also added a roof rack with the old side mounts and clamps I had mounting the rear basket before.

Now I can fit 2 coolers, small action packer of spare parts, tools, and a few jugs of water in the rear basket without it budging. Pretty happy with that situation on the Rubicon this last weekend. Added a James Way Offroad rear diff skid and hit the Rubacon:

Beer Tree

Hiked back into the falls that feed Buck Island Lake and really enjoyed that:

Camped really close to the lake and the water kept rising on us, here is the level right before we left:

Leaving camp I got mega turtled on a big boulder. I was frustrated and my buddy didn't want to get out of his car so we just winched me back. The belly skid had to come up over the tip of the rock and then support all of the weight of my jeep as it came back. It got a little bent.

Said oh well and kept going, driveshaft was eating the floor and the exhaust was crazy close making the floor extra hot.

Short list after this trip:
Fix skid
Make it quieter
Floor less hot
Flywheel Weight
Oil pan skid
Link front

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Straightened and braced my bottom skid, installed a flywheel weight from TriCounty Gear.

Then this happened:

Was having some weird charging issues and tried a new alt, different battery, spare ECU, and it ended up being the ECU and a bad alternator from Napa.

Huge thank you to Russ and Bob for their hard work on the hottest weekend of the year. I would've never done it without them.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The axles have 4.88s in them. I'd geared the 9" to go with the original dana 30 I had before the 44 so I stuck with that. I could go to 5.13, but not sure its worth the cost/work.

A doubler would be cool, but I like the simplicity of this setup. If anything I'd like to do a motor swap. Maybe a vortec 5.7 or something. I do have an M62 supercharger I could try to put on this engine, but who knows.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Looking to clean...! I don't know if I'd go through the swap route if staying in ca and planning to smog. I've had nothing but problems at smog time even with the referee tags saying it's been approved. Since it makes shops look better if they fail cars this state is bad in that regard.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Started on the leaf delete kit this weekend, got in Friday night and rolled out late Sunday.

Anyone know if I can drill a breather port where the "X" is drawn?

Still a ton of work to do. Shocks need to be mounted, find space for a bump, crossover tube, finish weld everything, new diff breather, etc.

Lowers turned out to be ~37" long, upper is ~ 34.75", track bar is ~38", drag link is ~38", ~7" vert separation at the axle.

Thanks Pedro, Kurt, Fred, and Mechanic Mike for the help.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well, this thing is still linked and its great.

Took it out to Isham Canyon with the Dirt Every Day crew. Had a good time. My jeep was not working as well as it had in the past, think the trail was a lot harder than what I've ran so far. Really could've used more low range.

What they didn't show in the video was me scratching the fuck out of my new paint.

Big shout out to Accutune. Even without bumps the front can totally outrun the rear end. Can't wait to link the rear.

James Way skid plate probably kept me from some bad ujoint breakage: James Way 9 Inch Diff Skid Kit

Before leaving for Isham I noticed the jeep was kinda driving like crap. Checked ball joints and viola, the upper ball joint on the driver side looked like it was going to fall out!

In came:

Wanted a fresh knuckle bore for these smooth body ball joints and Reid was actually the cheapest way to go other than finding lightly used stockers from the 80s.

Had to chop them a little for the 4th stud boss to fit with my tie rod ends.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Also bought some air bumps I need to mount/install and went to Baja for the 1000. Here is a pic dump:

#TEAMXX

Culinary theme of this trip for me was Birria, shit is delicious

Breakfast Quesadilla at Mission Santa Maria, San Quintin

Took this pic because it was Mama Espinosas, didn't even see the PGs sticker.

BFG Pit

Finish Line

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Well decided I should start working on this thing again. Have my bachelor party in April planned out for Sand Hollow. Short list is front air bumps, new seats, and hydro assist if it was simple. I made a quick and dirty clamp and we had some tabs lying around at work that fit the track bar bracket I used:

Box is already tapped so have to weld the tabs on and get lines.

Got the coil overs taken out and some big jack stands under the center skid. I think I need to do some more chassis stiffening in the front. Hood does not fit like that:

Also noticed my driver side knuckle is rubbing the inner C. Anyone seen this before? I know Reid adds a bunch of material on these knuckles, but didn't think they would rub. Other side is close but no rubbing it seems.

Need to make a jack extension to get my axle up to bump as it sits, then will be adding front bumps.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Thant's my next guess. I have a Reid knuckle on a narrowed Chevy Dana 44. When it warms up a bit outside, I check it and take some photos.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts