Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well got quite a bit done this weekend. Onepersonriot came over and helped a ton all weekend and we got most of the front end done.

Front air bump cans welded on, lower strike pads on, hydro assist mounts welded on, and limit strap mounts.

Still need to make a skid situation for my assist ram, but that should happen this week.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Reid says c's are bent. Axle guy at WFO says they all do that. Going to check camber side to side when its back on its feet and see how different it is. Probably going to run it as is for now.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Started on my ram guard tonight. All of it will be made of 1.5 .188. Was going to go with a piece of solid, but carrying it around the shop I realized that would've been overkill.

So it looks kinda dumb like this:

But looks a lot better at bump:

Will have a cap on it and 2 support tubes going back to the axle tube with slight bends to clear the ram.

Here are some other views, don't mind my missed tacks:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well, getting closer. My buddy Russ gave me a hand last weekend and steered me toward making a plate for my ram skid. He made a super well fitting plate, we welded it off the car, and glued it on. Turned out bitchin. Its now 1.5 .188 and 1/4" plate, "very redneck" as Russ put it.

Got everything painted (poorly) and assembled and plumbed the ram last night. I may want to play with the bump stroke or pressures but it all seems to work.

Still need to do a few more things to this before Sand Hollow, but can mainly focus on tow rig and trailer prep now.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Well, my jeep and liver somehow survived Sand Hollow. I was pretty much drunk after noon and my rig turned into the rental. Everyone was nice enough to her that she only left some paint there.

Drove out with a ton of beer and booze Thursday to Primm, partied our faces off at Tree Bar, drove to Sand Hollow, wheeled Milt's Mile Friday, partied Friday night, wheeled The Maze Saturday, partied Saturday night, cleaned up the house Saturday, tried to wheel Nasty Half Sunday mid-day, returned to Primm, continued to party, regretfully drove home Monday.

Tons of good stories, but pics will have to speak for themselves:

The haul out to Utah

Cool drone shot from another wheeler out there that met up with us

Group shot of Hawaiian shirt Saturday

Wubsor skying it out

Top of Milt's Mile

Buddy's XJ took a nap in the Maze

Brother in-law giving wheeling a shot, he was scolded for holding the roll cage, 4RunnerKid's expression in the background is priceless

Finally got hitched and Barbie was front and center

#kirstenBullardPhotography

Would 1000% put Sand Hollow on any wheeling bucket list. It was a blast. Can't wait to go back for longer and bring the boat next time too.

Next up on the jeep is more wheeling. Maybe link the rear, leaning toward building a 231/D300 doubler again as well. Really could use more low range and could still accommodate a more powerful engine.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Frank and I rode together for 4RunnerKid's Bachelor party where my power steering pump started pooping itself and my tcase sounded terrible. Like a box of whiny millennials.

Here are some pics:

Spewage from pump:

Tearing into Tcase:

The planet pinons were crazy loose (typical damage for a Teralow set), think that made the planet carrier move around funny, then the main shaft and the support bearing in the input went, then debris blew up the pump.

Went back and forth about engine swap, doubler, other options, but just decided to buy another Teralow case from a wheeling buddy. I get back on the trail faster and it was much more in the budget over an Atlas.

PSC rebuilt my power steering pump and its headed back this way.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Well after Mikey's bachelor party bought another TeraLow 231 from a buddy. Double checked the internals before installing and it looked to be in great shape, no real wear to find.

Got my PSC pump rebuilt, reinstalled and it whined really bad. They kept blaming my Royal Purple fluid. Argued with them saying it wasn't the fluid that has been fine for 2-3 years, that they fucked up the pump rebuild. Got another pump, installed it and it worked fine. Also switched to Swepco like the recommend to not have to deal with them bitching next time it inevitably needs another rebuild. They made it right so I'm a happy customer again.

Labor day took the 3 day weekend to run Deer Valley and Slick Rock Road up highway 4. Wife has a cabin in Arnold so we used that as base camp. It was really fun and I felt like an idiot for never having brought my Jeep up there before. Deer Valley is open to all OHV but was not very difficult. Similar to Bald Mountain with a nice stream running though.

Slick Rock is street legal only and it was really pretty good. It was sorta dirt road between moderate obstacles. I had a blast and would return anytime. Both trails had a bunch of good camp spots, both also start and end at different bodies of water. Yaks were perfect for the end of a dusty day on Slick Rock in Utica Res.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Got home and set to work on a sanden OBA setup.

Tore the compressor down and greased it:

Drilled and tapped the back for NPT and adapted to -6AN:

Mounted up with a bracket to hold a manifold. Manifold has a check valve, pressure switch, emergency blowoff thing, and an air chuck. May plumb a tank in at some point, but with space constraints not sure how much it'll help with a small tank.

Bought and mounted some new seats. Put the seat heater pads in I've had for 3 years lying around, hopefully wire those up soon.

Got it mounted up with a bracket to hold my

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Wow someone reads this except Frank?!

Hah, thanks for the kind words.

No updates to note. The new seats are too high, my wife and I (both around 5' 6" on a good day) are about max of who can sit in this safely now so that needs to change.

We bought a house last week so it'll take a back seat for a little bit.

I did drag it out to the desert in November, it was alright. Everyone else had RZRs and my jeep is not a desert killer.

I have been trying to collect more parts to backhalf the rear frame and do links. Maybe soon.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Well to throw more irons in the fire...

I got the yellow light from the wife to do a budget minded engine swap.

Plan as of now is to do a 95' 5.2L Magnum from a ZJ (match year of jeep for ease of wiring and smog purposes), NV3550, and TJ rubicon case.

Just picked up a decent 3550, still on the lookout for the 3.9 V6 Dakota bellhousing and TJ case. Put a wanted ad in some local FB pages for a donor jeep for the engine, ECU, etc and got some good traction. I need to finish some house projects before I drag another Jeep home though.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts