·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Updates?? :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
My digital camera finally died (I think?). So I can't update the thread until I get 1 hour of DV footage of the build up. I think I've got 30 minutes so far. 30 to go. ;)

6,901 pictures...fairly good service life.

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
I was just going to ask if there were any updates and now I find out I gotta wait more??? Oh well, its for a good reason... video!

:edit: maybe a mod will delete all the crap and leave the tech?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Here is some serious verbal tech for you scouters...

I decided that I could make my ride height 8" lower if I did some frame modifications. My frame was limiting panhard travel by 4" alone.

So I chopped the front frame .75 away from the engine mounts on each side of the 3L engine.

I ended up raiseing the frame up by about 14 inches. The front frame rail is just at about level with the center of the fan and valve covers. Looks kinda cool.

I decided to push the rockwell forward some more too. The new bumpstop will be either the drive shaft hitting the engine mount or the rockwell chunk hitting the fan, which ever comes first. The only thing I worry about is loosing the pass side radius arm and the rockwell mating with my engine pulley. Would be hard to recover a vehicle with no water pump. :(

Some one a few miles away from me is getting rid of a 4x4 oshkosh snow blower. 300HP at 1000RPM, speedo goes up to 40 or something like that. Weighs 27k and the axles aren't top loaders

So I might get that for the axles. Who knows. The thing is rated to move 400 tons of snow per hour!!! 15gal/hr gasoline!

Hey, video? I've got about 5 or 6 hours of scout buggy build action already. Going to make a small segment for the movie I'm making. I've got some cool video of a floor jack breaking, which releases the scout. Then I get my handyman highlift malfunctions and somehow the handle hits me in the head.

Price on square tube/pipe in ak is now .91/lb. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Plate is now .79, and it was .49 on 02/06/04. :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Urban Wheeler said:
I was just going to ask if there were any updates and now I find out I gotta wait more??? Oh well, its for a good reason... video!

:edit: maybe a mod will delete all the crap and leave the tech?
Does this include your post?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Well, here it goes. I'm not going to post any pictures of the final front suspension quite yet. I thought you guys should at least have something to look at after waiting 20 days.

It got really cold last week, so all I did was play with my NP200.

Here is the thing. Looks just like the day brook gave it to me. Told me that there was dirt and water inside, so it would need to be cleaned out. I guess thats why we threw it off the trailer into the dirt bank. ;)

Man, point of no return! It was a little more than I'd expected to find (there are over 150 unretained roller bearings), but I can handle it/ Good experience I guess.

Its going to be really fun comparing these gears to the D20 stuff. That output gear in the front is just as big as the D20 is round... The nice thing about the NP200 is that all the splined shafts are the same, there are only two sizes of tapered roller bearings, and one size of oil seal. This is the way things are supposed to work.

Here is the idler gear set and front output shaft.

Here is my idler shaft. "Remove with a plastic hammer" said the manual...1" aluminum and some full arm swing blows with a hammer got it out about 1/4" at a time!!!

Everything is sooo clean now!

Again, this is the way things are supposed to be. Makes it easy to tell what the low ratio is, right?

More later...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #229

The last snow dump in march gave my back yard quite a bit of snow. How annoying... 50 degree weather for a full week and then 15-20 degree weather for another week. This week is supposed to be full of 40-50 again, so let the building speed begin.

Middle of the driveway...

Didn't want to get too close to the engine mount. ;)

All my miter cuts are done following a line with no guide. My chop saw is not accurate at any angle, including 0* (the deck isn't level). Here is an example before a grinder clean-up job. Little bit of a fart in the right corner, but there are 4 starts/stops there. ;)

Other side frame chop. Both sides are cut to the same angle.

The process begins!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #230

I needed to make my own apparatus!!! :) Picture this...there is only ONE crossmember on the scout, and its 13 feet behind the front frame rail. The engine mounts are inbound on the frame, so the frame is looking slightly like this: / \

I used the rigid pipe stand to jack the new crossmember up. I spot welded a piece of angle (and vice griped it) to the drivers frame rail. This pulled it in towards the drivers frame rail. I also removed the / \ by the below process.

I hooked a comealong to the old axle bumpstops and cranked that thing til it started making funny noises. Then I used the highlift to push the upper frame apart.

Amazingly, everything ended up being perfect. ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #231

Maybe the winch will have to go in the rear... :D

Take this... and I've got 6.5" of uptravel. :) My driveshaft is also completely above the upper links of the front suspension. This is turning out pretty good.

Also, I will be adding reinforcements to the front frame. I don't expect toe _/ to do too much all by itself.

My bushings for the rear are supposed to be shipped on the 11th. I'm cutting the D20 in half next week too. Only need half of it anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
SirMrManGuy said:
Does this include your post?
This one and that one, yeah. There is a lot of non-tech, a troll or two, and many words of encouragement and appreciation. Lots of us are interested in what he is doing, both with the Scout and the homebrew plasma torch, but I don't think many of us want to scroll through nine pages and pick up a littl here and there. That's all.

Grant, didn't you read this thread? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Hey, highlift scares me to death now. You know, I got whacked in the head while kneeling on the ground and pulling on the handle. ;)

I could not imagine I was reading real posts in that thread. People talking about getting under a vehicle with the word highlift in the same paragraph. Man..

More pictures to slow down the interent. still catching up

More pictures to slow down the internet...

Radius arm. I made one out of 1.5sch80, but it looked like a straw. :TD:

Does that look small? Its 2.5x2.5x.25 square tubing. ;)

Hit the hard stop.

This is at about the 6.5" position out of a possible 9" uptravel. If I push the axle forward another inch then this will become my new bumpstop.

If I move the axle forward to gain uptravel then I might have to remove the fuel pump.

This is at the 13" position. So it would be about 4-5" droop in real life

Ride height

Hard stop. Its hard to tell from the image perspective. The frame to ground distance would be about 20.5 here.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #234

New panhard brackets.

Coil spring plates. They all look like little alien heads. :shock:

Here is the bottom. I prebent the bottom one, but now I'm not sure that was necessary. :D

Here is the top one.

Still going through images...it is VERY warm outside. I will be doing a lot this week. :) Picture 7033 of a necessary 10000 to buy a new camera...

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
Logjam-grant said:
Hey, highlift scares me to death now. You know, I got whacked in the head while kneeling on the ground and pulling on the handle. ;)

That thread convinced me to not buy the Harbor Freight version. I got looking at it and the handle is welded in.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
i envy you and your plasma cutter/CNC machine. all i got it a sazall, a 4" grinder, and a stick welder hahaha. oh well, its looking really good. those tires are insane. that thing is going to be a bitch to turn, they are going to rub on everything hahaha.

221 - 240 of 276 Posts