Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
3 sheets, rolled.

A little bit of spring to it. 23" OD for a 24" rim.

Grade 8, 1/2x3", $0.223 a set.

:D

This long weekend I'll be building a mount for my machine flame burner. Then CNC cut some sprockets from 1.125" steel. :D

I'm also trying to figure out what the best way is to move a pile of scout through a foot of snow all the way up a hill. :mad: $60 costco winch hooked to my battery charger. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
69travelall said:
3 sheets, rolled.

A little bit of spring to it. 23" OD for a 24" rim.

Grade 8, 1/2x3", $0.223 a set.

:D

This long weekend I'll be building a mount for my machine flame burner. Then CNC cut some sprockets from 1.125" steel. :D

I'm also trying to figure out what the best way is to move a pile of scout through a foot of snow all the way up a hill. :mad: $60 costco winch hooked to my battery charger. :cool:
Intriguing to say the least.... but instead of asking about this latest post I'm gonna back up a little. I know you said you don't want to post up any pics yet of your homebrew plasma, but what about a parts breakdown. What size capacitors? how many? basic description of the hook up?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've read this whole post twice, and I still can't figure out what the hell you are making here.???

This started as an axle swap and then you put up pictures of a big ass chain and a weird looking torch???

Lemme know if I'm totally missing something here.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Scout8hundred said:
I've read this whole post twice, and I still can't figure out what the hell you are making here.???

This started as an axle swap and then you put up pictures of a big ass chain and a weird looking torch???

Lemme know if I'm totally missing something here.

This is by far one of the bests post in the IH fourm :laughing:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
800:
Torch, 1.25" steel, 53" tires, sprockets, big chain... :D

TORC:
I scratched my head after posting that mess of a power output demo...why not just put pictures of the thing up? Two things, I only have one torch, and its in the garage on the CNC table. Money. I decided to buy another torch as soon as I get paid...and all of my finals are done. :( After the 13th (possibly before if I finish my papers) I will buy a second torch and get some action shots as is.

To get the correct constant current output curve, I brought all 3 phases of the alternator outside the case. Not just 3 phase AC, but all 3 coils isolated from each other.

Then I built a capacitor voltage doubler for each phase. Each doubler has a total of about 4000uf of 250v capacitors.

At 5000RPM, 11v into the rotor (~4A, 44W), the alternator now produces a steady 340vDC. A little high, but thats what all of the interlock stuff is for. As the load on the alternator increases, the voltage drops. 100v is the normal operating voltage.

Using a load of two 1500w hair dryers and a 500w halogen bulb I am able to sustain [email protected] with a 135A 12v alternator. Under load I tested the alternator, and each coil was putting out about 19vAC. You might think 19x2x3 doesn't equal 100, we have RMS voltage issues, capacitors, and the fact that the voltage doubler doesn't work all that great. ;)

Other people have e-mailed me about this, so here are some clippings of my e-mails sent to them...:

Plasma cutting is a DCSP process, the electrode is negative and the work clamp ("ground clamp") is positve. It is a CC process, like stick/tig and not CV like MIG/FCAW.

The open circuit voltages for the most part determine metal pierce capacity (possibly because of a steeper curve?). Also, machines with higher OCVs feel better to me as the operator. The common range is 250-280(300) and limited to
the 280/300vDC as an absolute maximum. (safety)

In ideal conditions (arc length, air pressure...), the arc voltage is
100v. I don't remember a machine rated at anything different than 100v.

All plasma torches have three basic parts, an electrode, a constricting nozzle (tip), and a shielding gas nozzle (shield cup). Some torches have a start cartridge (spring loaded device which shorts the electrode to the tip and retracts when air flow is present), and I will discuss what exactly those are for later. All plasma torches use a negative electrode (DCSP, - ), current limited positive tip (+), and a positive work piece (+).

Inside the torch, an arc is initiated between the electrode and constriction nozzle by a HF HV (high frequency high voltage) generator (similar to a non-scratch-start TIG welder). Once the HF HV current establishes the ionization process, a higher current flows from the electrode to the constriction nozzle due to the constriction nozzle connecting to positive through a current limiting resistor. This current limited function serves two purposes, it keeps the potential between the electrode and the work higher than the potential from the electrode to the constriction nozzle, and it reduces wear on the constriction nozzle from these starts.

Another common method of starting the ionization process is by using a start cartridge or some other form of lift-arctechnology. With the torch inactive, the start cartridge shorts the electrode to the constriction nozzle. This could seem like a problem, because the electrode is grounded and the tip positive potential, but remember there is a current limiting resistor in the path of the tip to positive connection. The second that sufficient air flow/pressure is present, the start cartridge lifts off of the tip and draws an arc (similar to scratch start TIG or stick welding). This resistor prevents excessive heating of the tip and wear on the internal torch components.

After the pilot arc has been initiated by the low current arc within the torch ionized gas from the pilot arc blows through the tip to the workpiece. This causes a low resistance path to ground (there is no current limiting resistor on the work clamp).To reduce heating on the tip, the pilot arc (current limited connection to positive and/or HF HV) may be turned off once this main arc ignites.

So there... :p And I thought people would go crazy with the chain size. Plasma is boreing. This 6.5lbs a foot chain is what excites me!!! :cool:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Don't all watch it at once. :p

Power Output Test

Might not be plasma, but its what an alternator, 10hp of electric motor, and two hair dryers sound like in my basement. :eek: :D :cool:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I can't resist.

Tire Grooving

If you all watch it at once, it will take a real long time to buffer. save it. :p

I want to CNC cut this from T1 and see if it helps my grooving capacity (see above posts in this topic).

Now, THIS is fun. :D

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
69travelall said:
So there... :p And I thought people would go crazy with the chain size. Plasma is boreing. This 6.5lbs a foot chain is what excites me!!! :cool:
Thanks for the run down.... plasma may be boring but the idea of a low buck, homebrew plasma cutter that doesn't empty my wallet excites me!! :woody:

I'd probably make one once you get yours done and post up the how to.... that is, if you post up the how to.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It still wouldn't be too cheap. The torch runs $270-299, and even a machinist would go mad trying to duplicate one.

But in the end you'd get a plasma cutter without too much broom stick. ;)

Hair dryer is necessary too. :) I don't see a hair dryer, I see an air cooled 15000watt ~10 ohm resistor. :cool:

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
69travelall said:
I can't resist.

Tire Grooving

If you all watch it at once, it will take a real long time to buffer. save it. :p

I want to CNC cut this from T1 and see if it helps my grooving capacity (see above posts in this topic).

Now, THIS is fun. :D

Bwahahah thats a fawking ripper :laughing: :laughing:

dam next time i'm in the Yukon (god knows when) i'll let ya know

·
Registered
124 Posts
well ill take a wild guess at what the chain and all is for. YOur gonna runa drive gear off the d44's and turna sproket on the wheels. Thus more gear reduction. Basicly like the old chain driven trucks

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Yep. I felt like I got ripped off with that chain. 10 feet?!? There aren't enough links! I counted, there were...stuff is just too big! That stuff is $25.20 per foot. I'm not quite sure I'll be able to snap it, needing some 125,000ft lbs of torque at the wheel, but its possible that I can warp some of the bushings.

We shall see...I only have a 198. ;)

This is 80 pitch:

This is 160 pitch!!!!:

And because this post really isn't that great, here is some cool/funny stuff. ;)

This guy is canadian like chief. :D :cool:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Sure, if you made one...that would be the coolest thing to me. :D

But it would take more than $300 in time, thats for sure. ;)

Something like this for the 160 pitch chain.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
TORC said:

Is that Redd Green? Used to love to watch that show but I can't find it on any of the cable channels anymore.
Yep. I wrote their production company and told them I was planning to produce an Alaskan buggy offroad video. They said I could use some segments from Red Green. Even sent them on a giant tape. :cool: :eek:

Brook-bgreen guy- has an awsome rig and will be in the thing.

I'm gonna get a red star for that Doc photo to be my avatar. ;)

Back to scout stuff...I'm planning a method to move my scout through 15" of packed snow worthy of Red Green's approval.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
You got it.

That guy is cool. Even if all of the alaskan buggy stuff is horrible it will be worth it for the redgreen segments. ;)

My future wedding limo:

:cool:

41 - 60 of 276 Posts