Registered
2,881 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Where to start....

1) Interesting in a horrific, gross curiosity kind of way

2) Glad your not my neighbor and even more glad working in AK is in my past

3) Love the subtle clues throughout this thread
-scary blockage that goes from dunnage to wheels to stumps
-testing high output electrical voodoo in the basement...in socks!
-fabbing a mud buggy chain drive on an easter bunny table cloth

4) Clear demonstration of the ability to do things the hardest AND most booty fab way possible.
-pulling an axle though the leaf spring when pulling two bolts would have let them fall out
-for what you spent in time making the hair dryer equipped home inferno kit you could have worked at Burger King and bought a real plasma cutter and maybe even met a girl

5) You appear to be having fun and have some talent (although misguided) so keep at it and hopefully something good will come out of all of this craziness.

6) At least you posted this in the Binder forum so you are amongst like minded people:flipoff2:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Thankyou. :)

Would it make it better or worse if I said that I all ready owned a plasma cutter? ;)

You hit it on the head, its about having fun. :cool:

Beadlocks are under construction.

Inner: (welded to drum)

Middle: (free)

Outer: (free)

I added 8 extra bolts that clamp the inner and middle ring together to keep this:

from doing this:

Cost:
$123.20 for 4x8' 1/4" plate
$21 for 13"x72.25" 10ga
$22.30 for 100 1/2x3"gd8/gd8 washer/gd8 nylock nut combos

As opposed to a 24" farm blank wheel for $150 that would require flex killing pressures for my 12 ply tire. ;) :eek:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
(crazy guy image limit reached I guess...continues)

Wanna see an 8x4 sheet of 1/4 steel disappear?

We'll see how it goes I guess...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
I'm stalled with work on polishing off the alternator plasma cutter because my CNC machine is disabled and I can't cut the enclosure pieces. I also only have one torch, so you see that problem. :)

I'm also working to get a semester of work done for a COMMunication class... And a final written for a Technology class. :mad:

Remember that big looking gas torch? I'm modifying my gantry arm so that it can support such a big load. (big funny looking torch is heavy). I will need this torch to cut the sprockets out of 1.125" steel plate. :cool:

Now, I will hibernate until my school work is done and the table is upgraded. I don't want my post deleted or moved to chit chat. So... ;)

Can't cut bead lock pieces until the stupid thing is finished either. :rolleyes:

Anyway, to keep some topic here, the scout will hopefully remain stock (198+T18+D20+D44/3.73) and stil be able to turn those tires well with all of the modifications.

I am planning some sort of trailer ball link suspension (the trailer hitch + panhard) because the links need to be hard welded and are a very important structural piece for the axles. Loosing one control arm could self distruct the axle at 5mph in a parking lot. I figure with the trailer ball setup the worst would be loosing a few brake lines, drive shaft, people, etc. But not the axle. :D

More on suspension, I want to try a buggy leaf spring setup like the old carriages (two leaf springs on top of each other). I've been reading a ton of pirate stuff, looked at a ton of farm equipment, watched plenty of red green, and am now applying it all to my current build rig. :rolleyes: :cool:

As far as cost goes, the chains are about $250 per corner, the small drive sprockets will be free because I found some 1.125" steel that someone didn't want, the wheel sprockets will be made from 1/4 and 1/2" steel plate, approximate cost for 4 wheel sprockets...$300.

Hopefully I will finish within a $1500-2k range and have a strong setup. I figure, 2k in the axles is 2k total into the scout. And thats pretty good considering what some people can loose into their rig. :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
I see two Things possible here.

1. Redd Green is actually your dad and you want to show him up:)

2. The movie A Beautifull Mind was based on you:p

No seriously this is some funny shit, but i can see you are having fun and you are right. Thats what it is all about. The concept of....I bet i could do this if i did....yada yada has made some of the most cool things, a few of witch have made it into the Crawling world on a regular basis. So keep up the experiments and let us know on the progress.
That all said i do know after 4 summers in alaska and 3-4 buddies living in Alaska that the cold up there does something to the human mind. I have seen alot of cheap working homebrew stuff come from Alaska.

Have fun, but be safe.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Dude how is it you can balance all these projects and still have time to cook a batch of fresh meth? Can we say ADHD. I dont mean to critisize but man you are all over the place. So are you putting the running gear from the van under the 1/2 scout? I was just up there last week and can honestly say I am glad I didnt share a road with any of those projects. Good luck thought, just dont burn your place down.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
wheelinjp said:
Dude how is it you can balance all these projects and still have time to cook a batch of fresh meth? Can we say ADHD. I dont mean to critisize but man you are all over the place. So are you putting the running gear from the van under the 1/2 scout? I was just up there last week and can honestly say I am glad I didnt share a road with any of those projects. Good luck thought, just dont burn your place down.:flipoff2:

you have no clue :rolleyes:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The plasma cutting process oxidizes the metal further than oxy-fuel. The sparks are not as hot. Hot enough to melt hair, but not hot enough to burn a screen or hand.

Plus, if the tips aren't cutting downward on the table, something is seriously wrong. :)

The shower curtains contain the dust so that it can be sucked out. The shop would be dark orange if I took them down.

·
Registered
608 Posts
speachless.

PLEASE do not stop!

Now tell us about the projects that were not as good. I'm not laughing at you, I am just amazed someone has the time and energy to bring these ideas so far!

Merv

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
grant-69travelall said:
I've been reading a ton of pirate stuff, looked at a ton of farm equipment, watched plenty of red green, and am now applying it all to my current build rig.
If this doesn't summarize everything that is cool about this board, I don't know what does. :D

Keep up the "interesting" work; it is truly inspiring.

61 - 80 of 276 Posts