Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1337 Posts

·
Master of none.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(edit for no pics) For those not aware of the Google fix for photobucket, you can go here & add an extension to google chrome & see all the linked photobucket pictures again,

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon?hl=en-US

I see a lot of builds popping up here lately & thought I would jump on the wagon,
The name of the project comes from the fact it is going to be a big bitch, especially considering it is only a two seater,

This project first came to light when I came across a decent deal on a pair of 2.5 ton rockwell steer axles, (front loaders), I found them here in the for sale section & they were only a couple hours away to pick them up, A day & 800 bones later & I had them home, & here they sat for a few months one out in the yard & one in the shop getting the stare down,
After removing the stock mounting bracketry this it what they looked like,

After bracket removal I decided that the front diff would need rotated for better pinion\caster angle,

After disassembly the ends of the tubes were cut off,

And after some carefull measuring & alignment I welded them back togeather,

So now with the knuckles sitting at 0* caster the pinion is pointed up at 20*

Next was the steering, I ordered a pair of these, one for the front & one for the rear,

·
Master of none.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did not get many pics of building the cylinder mounts, but I did get a couple of building the tie rods,

& here is the cylinder mounted & the tie rods in place, also in this pic you can see the high steer arms that I built, when complete the will be a spacer between the high steer arm & the tie rod, so the rod end will be in double sheer,

These diffs came with absolutly no brakes, none on the wheels or the pinion, I figure they must have been on the t-case in whatever machine they came out of.
So brakes needed to be installed,
Here is one of the rotors & the beginning of a rotor/driveline flange adapter,

Drilling the pattern for the rotor to bolt on & the two different flanges,

Parts bolted togeather,

Next came the claiper mounts, I chose GM 1/2 ton calipers for the simplicity of mounting them,

Cutting parts out

Test fit,

Modified caliper mount welded to my flange,

·
Master of none.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple pics of everything bolted togeather,

I guess I should take the opportunity to cover some of the things I already for get to mention, the diffs are currently both open, when complete they will both be welded, the gear ratio is 6.80:1, & this project is going to be a rear/mid engine, so the chunks have both been flipped for high pinion & proper rotation,

·
Master of none.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good eye, actually only the front got the truss work, to help strengthen the cut/rotated area,
Here is a pic of the rear, without the truss, & with the spacers to the high steer arms,

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That is some killer work!!! I am more familiar with the toploaders, do the frontloader rockwells have similar specs for strength etc?? Nice job on everything so far, I will be watching this thread for sure!!

Dane

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
Looking good. Nice fab work.. and it looks like you have a pretty well setup shop there. :smokin:

Keep the pictures coming!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The front loader housings almost look like a top loader rotated 90 degrees.....the outers look very similar. Do the top loader knuckles and axle shafts interchange?

·
Master of none.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do the frontloader rockwells have similar specs for strength etc??
Dane
I'm not sure on specs, The Axle u-joints are the same, but the stub shafts are 1.875" dia. 21 spline & the inners are 1.75 19 spline, I'm sure that the housings are similar in strength, the chunk is tha same as the standard F-106,
& the king pins are opposite of the top loader, instead of being on the tube they are part of the cap, so it goes through the knuckle into the tube,
I'll go into more detail on the workings of the diffs a little later in the build,
I have a set of overson 2" shafts that are going to be adapted to fit the rear,

Any pics or design images of what the chassis will look like? .
Unfortunatly all the images are in my head, I do have pics of the begging of the chassis that I'll post here in a bit,

are you running rear engine?
Yes

I trust you still have the '49?
Yep, I'll be beating on it next weekend,

did you narrow them any or just rotate the ends?
I just rotated the end on the one, they were both pretty narrow when I got them, I'll have to measure them and get a WMS,

More pics coming when I get them loaded,

·
Gravity Works!
30,945 Posts
Would a top loader turd fit into these things?

Seems like you could rotate the knuckles 90deg and stuff a top loader turd from like a rear in there - just wondering. Is there a benefit on these front loaders over the top loaders besides the height issues?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
As always, top notch work. If you need to make room for the project, I wouldn't mind seeing the '49 parked in front of my shop again :D

So, whats the projected engine for this going to be?

·
Master of none.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One of my past projects is a 1979 F-350 supercab that I went through from the ground up,

I know, it has pavement pounder written all over it, but because it was a pavement pounder it spent most of the last five years parked in the back yard.
That is until this last winter I swaped in a freshly rebuild 97 12 valve cummins & NV4500 5 spd,
Now it's a pavement pounding tow rig that work real well.
So the power plant for this project will be the short block from that truck,
Specs are,
460 block, 4.140 stroke eagle crank, 6.7 eagle H-beam rods, 30 over KB318 pistons,(501 cubic inch) with 75cc heads compression should be around 9.5:1,
Since removing it from the supercab I had the block strait honed, & freshend it with new rings & bearings, I took the iron D0ve heads off and tossed them in the corner & put on a set of edelbrock aluminum heads with a Victor JR manifold, The oiling system is a modified pump & Milodon 9qt front sump pan, (which will work well since the engine is in the buggy backwards,)

Installing the freshly built heads

Complete long block with manifold & pan

I went with a Lunati voodoo hydraulic cam for easy maintinance, Harland sharp roller rockers, & a jomar stud gurtle,
The rest includes a holley comander 950 tbi fuel injection system (900 cfm) MSD computer controlled dizzy, & a 2" weld up header kit.

1 - 20 of 1337 Posts