Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well let me just say fuck you all ,i used to have a nice DD jeep and now its all hacked up ..:flipoff2:

this started when i trashed a dana 30 on 35s ,i went and bought a HP 30 then brought it home and said WHY ? so i came across a Free HP dana 44 and a $50 SRW 14bolt ff ..so i sold my rear 44 and the new HP 30 and the build begins ..

this is my first build of this kind and i may mess some crap up but i have been searching my ass off

I figured the 14bolt was way too big and need shaved so the bottom 3 holes where removed and the ring gear machined 1/4 off the diameter ..the bottom is now 1/2 flat stock

The front was free so a dana 44 it will be ..after messing with it for a while i should have went with a 60 first off but i couldnt afford one at the time ..most brackets are from Ruffstuff and worked nicely

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The front is streched 3in using a single sided radius arm set-up ..poly bushing on one end and johnny joints .links are 2x.25 wall DOM .i did screw up the shock mounts ..oh well minor redo ..i strapped the poly bushing for some added insurance ..it turned out ok i guess

i cut and turned the Cs ..man what a PITA for a first timer i kept thinking i was cutting too much ..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The rear i went with Xj rear leafs flipped around for some cheap rear strech mounted in the stock control arm brackets ..way too far back i plan on moving it about 4in forward and ending up around 104inchs ..I do live in Pennsylvania and am tryin to keep it as close to legal as i can ..so it cant be silly wide or too long ..i need to keep the tires covered as much as possible ..this is about where i am at now with the project so everything else still needs done ..gas tank needs out ,rear shocks are just hanging in the stock location and need addressed ..wheewww i need more time

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you measure the chunk you cut off the 11 bolt? :D

In for the updates.
I dont have the chunk it got tossed or just lost ..who knows ..id say its around 2-1/2..then i trimmed the housing some more (about 1/4 )once the ring gear was done and test fitted in there .id say after the plate was welded and all said and done i am in for 2-1/4 of clearance

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I'm cut up to the middle of the bottom hole. I want to trim it more I just don't know what to do with the diff cover. What do you have in mind?
Heres what i found would be easiest all the way around ..I bought a diff kit from Ruffstuff for like $89 or some shit ....comes 2 pieces which can easily be modified and will save me a ton of time ..i plan on welding in the bottom then cutting the flabge as needed ..the way the cover fits the flange leaves for only minor trimming ..should work well i just havent got around to it yet ...maybe this weekend

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well let me just say fuck you all ,i used to have a nice DD jeep and now its all hacked up ..:flipoff2:
Totally agree! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
This guys over hear must consider that in other parts of the world 14bolts aren't as common as in the states. In my country the cheaper I found was on 1000€ (1467.7USD) for a rusty one.

Nice build! I like specially the hack of the rear axle. Wouldn't that mill of the ring weaken it? I'll be doing the same to my rear D60.
Perhaps you could use conical bolts or washes to hold tight the bottom of the cover. I mean, like the ones on the wheel or the shitty torx that hold the door.

That rear Johnny Joints are the ones from Poly?

Good luck John, keep doing that clean.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you planning on drilling and tapping the 1/2" plate so the cover doesn't leak like a SOB? I've got (3) 1/4"-20 allen head bolts in the bottom of mine and it hardly leaks at all. I used 3/8" plate and turned a little over an 1/8" off my RG. You may be able to get away with using some larger bolts w/ the 1/2" plate.

I know a lot of ppl have trouble getting them to seal.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656611
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663110
Yeah its been considered i actually read those threads you linked and kind of make me undecided ..i may do what you did while its out for some extra piece of mind rather than once its installed and then find out its leaking

That rear Johnny Joints are the ones from Poly?

Good luck John, keep doing that clean.
yeah Poly has them but i ordered them from Currie Enterprises

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
i did the same thing to my 14 bolt.. and i didn't drill and tap the .5" plate.. and i have no leaks.. i cut the cover to be 1/8" short of the bottom of the plate.. ensured everything was flush.. and sealed it up.. no leaks..

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
Asshole.
I took a look thinking I'd see some cookie cutter 4 link TJ on 60s to get me good and pissed off.
Then I see the rear leafs, and the fab, and you're from the right coast. I think I actually like it. Cool build.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts