Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 1241 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Trevin,

Looks good so far. If you get lost at all with the D300, let me know. I've got a copy of the original Dana Spicer rebuild instructions. Also, I keep original Spicer balljoints on the shelf if you still need them.

Anyway, I saw the picture of your transmission shifter and this one came to mind as a really cool solution......it's also an NP435, but in a Toyota...

Attachments

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Trevin,

Looks good so far. If you get lost at all with the D300, let me know. I've got a copy of the original Dana Spicer rebuild instructions. Also, I keep original Spicer balljoints on the shelf if you still need them.

Anyway, I saw the picture of your transmission shifter and this one came to mind as a really cool solution......it's also an NP435, but in a Toyota...
Oh I could use that Dana 300 manual if you get a chance to send it :D When these balljoints go out I'll be calling you. If all goes to plan I'll know how long my uppers should be and I can finally order them from you :laughing:

That shifter is much simpler than the one I was planning, thanks for posting that! I was at a welding supply store the other day that had tiny little heims, perfect for this application.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Killer pics on the NP435 rebuild - did you find any part of it difficult? Mine is in need of some love and I was wondering if there was anything difficult about it?

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wow that is a lot of work, great job and kudos to you for tackling all of that..
Thanks, one day at a time.

Killer pics on the NP435 rebuild - did you find any part of it difficult? Mine is in need of some love and I was wondering if there was anything difficult about it?
It's not very difficult, just use the rebuild guides. A press makes it a lot easier but it can be done without one. The main shaft and bearing is the only "difficult" part.

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I opened my door Tuesday to find this on my doorstep. UPS guy didn't even ring my doorbell.

I had to download the instructions so I didn't get it hooked up that day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it up and running. Wish I would have known my plasma cutter was upstairs on my porch since I was doing nothing but cutting all morning.

Then I took the tank out of the skid and scraped all the gunk off of it. Wow.

Made some cuts to clear the pumpkin. 8.8 cover is only about 3" deep so there was no point in making it more than 4" clearance. I don't like the condition of this skid, I may not use it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Coming along nicely! That 'tee' you broke, it's just the tank venting, so any 'Y' style vacuum tee with the right hose sizes will work ....:grinpimp:

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
This skid is trashed. I'm not going to try to salvage it, I'll just upgrade. A local guy, about 3.5 hrs away, has a warn skid for cheap but I don't want to drive 7 hrs. We'll see if I can get it somehow.

My plasma cutter didn't come with a swirl ring...not too happy about that but they said they put them in the mail today. I kept working anyway using cut off discs and finished my press brake. Works great!

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I also made my cardboard mockups for the 8.8 truss and link mounts. Pinion is at 14 degrees, truss at 0. They will be boxed and dimpled. 1/4" for everything except the dimple stuff which is 10g. Welding the short side tube and truss is going to be tricky but I'm going to tie it into the sway bar mount. I might just clean off the axle tubes but I'll wait until my plasma actually works :shaking:

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Dropped 5lbs of dry ice in the tank for anyone that wants to get rid of the fumes and excess gas easily.

Got the motor mount lift installed, it's from Rough Country. Not a bad piece of machined aluminum, the finish was great, everything lined up well, and the instructions were well written. Very happy with these right now.

Started removing the stock brackets too. I hated these on my first jeep...and I hate them even more now that I smacked my hand with a hammer. Ouch.

I took a break, I have a game soon. Tomorrow I'll have a little time start the crossmember. With the MML in place, I have the np435 flat and there's a little more clearance. I'll check it tomorrow and make sure it will work. Crossmember will be ~1.75 square tube, .250 wall.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Killer progress! You work really fast! I'm just lazy I guess, it takes me forever to move forward... I've got a pile of parts I still need to get installed.... :(

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So I'm at a stand still and can't do jack right now. Tried using the HF hole saws but they're crap and not meant for this thickness anyway. I gave up using them in an attempt to save them for sheet metal stuff. Everything I need to do right now requires cutting curves. Thought I'd be fine since I ordered a plasma...thanks longevity :shaking:

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks man, I've been planning for a while. I have a notebook full of ideas and notes, pictures, drawings, calculations, etc. Longevity told me they shipped the swing rings and gave me a tracking number. I was hoping it would be here today so I could crank out some brackets or a crossmember but nothing in them mail yet. I work all weekend so it looks like Monday is my next chance to make a little progress.

I picked up all the material for my frame brackets, link towers, and a cute little heim for my shift linkage :p

41 - 60 of 1241 Posts