Pirate 4x4 banner

701 - 720 of 1235 Posts

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Thank you! I grew up in Schertz and was in Cibolo quite a lot too. Small world :D

Should have a decent update soon. Been slow ordering parts because they're odd-ball stuff and I'm very particular about my brackets and tabs.

Might be buying a house as well so progress may be rocky until August.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Been going through your build thread, props on all of YOUR custom fab work and not buying everybody's parts and bolting them on. That takes a lot of time, patience and skill!

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
I've got close family in olympia. Wieeeerdddd.
Stalker.

:flipoff2: If you ever are in need of help in the area hit me up, got a lot of friends and trucks here :smokin:

Been going through your build thread, props on all of YOUR custom fab work and not buying everybody's parts and bolting them on. That takes a lot of time, patience and skill!
Thank you! I've learned that about 1 hour of design and CAD work equats to about 4-5 hours in the shop. I liked building everything by hand at the spur of the moment but this new design work is lightyears ahead. The AW4 console alone took me a fraction of the time if I had tried to do it by hand.

Got a bunch more design work done and should be cutting and pressing in no time. New house has more storage and parking to make things easier plus no bullshit HOA hours and rules. Need to buy a trailer too :D

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Whew, time for an update! New house papers are signed next week so I had to get the Jeep rolling.

Future track bar for the axle:

Sneak peak of the front frame

Dodge unit bearing knuckle, UB, and inner C 1998 2500 series

Glad I have a plasma!

Cleaned and ready for new steel

Picked up TMR's LCA brackets, nice pieces for sure. Note how old the steel is on these housings. I see brand new custom housings for this Jeep down the line.

I had to modify my 20 ton press to push on these inner Cs. Took some effort and I had to add 20" to the height of the press.

Threw the rear under while I was waiting for welds to cool

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
Finally got both the inner Cs pressed on. I had to use a 1/8" DOM sleeve. Before everyone panics at the sight of a nearly centered third, the pinion is offset to the driver's side and all my measurements showed a clear path for the driveline.

For those that want camber bushings, be prepared to wait. 4 weeks lead time for most right now. I made one of my own since they were backordered and somehow lost one.

Taught myself to TIG steel

Off topic a bit, but my girlfriend bought me these. I think she'll be around for a very long time!

Outers finally bolted up

Welded some steel square tube to the axles and placed them in the bump buckets to suspend the Jeep for the move and slapped the wheels on with my new driver

I turned down some 1.5" steel into tube adapters and made a temperary steering setup from 1.75x.120 DOM. Heims are from RuffStuff, used 7/8-14 RH and LH taps with a 51/64 bit for these, came out real nice and cheap.

And she sits on her own

Now she's ready for the move and the rear surgery can begin!

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Siiiiiiiiiick
Thanks man!

Looks real good!

What's the WMS on both front and rear?
Thanks Paul! 65" up front, 63 out back. I might put the SRW hubs on the back and see if I like that more. Those Dodge wheels have a deep back spacing so it's not very wide at the moment.

Funny thing, I think I'll have to flat tow this beast the 5 miles to my new house with heavy tack welds holding most of it together. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Looking good man! Looking damn good! Step back off the throttle a little after you get those puddles going. Usually only need 100% pedal for the first bead and then after that I only run it to 80% or so. Keep at it though man, for sure! :beer:

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Thanks Alex! I will try to back off a little, although the setup I have available to me uses only a push button on the torch handle. I don't really like it but managed to get decent welds out of it. Lincoln 255 machine with plenty of power though, just need to wire in a foot pedal.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Thanks Alex! I will try to back off a little, although the setup I have available to me uses only a push button on the torch handle. I don't really like it but managed to get decent welds out of it. Lincoln 255 machine with plenty of power though, just need to wire in a foot pedal.
Well in that case, you're doing pretty good on heat control for not having a lot of interruption work. I have a slide type finger control for mine that I use when I can't setup the pedal somewhere. Last night I was laying on my back and welding slugs into the bottom of my TJ frame and that slide trigger control is awesome. A little cumbersome at first but once you get the hang of it, you can lay down some decent work as well.

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #716 (Edited)
Looking good man! Looking damn good! Step back off the throttle a little after you get those puddles going. Usually only need 100% pedal for the first bead and then after that I only run it to 80% or so. Keep at it though man, for sure! :beer:
Well in that case, you're doing pretty good on heat control for not having a lot of interruption work. I have a slide type finger control for mine that I use when I can't setup the pedal somewhere. Last night I was laying on my back and welding slugs into the bottom of my TJ frame and that slide trigger control is awesome. A little cumbersome at first but once you get the hang of it, you can lay down some decent work as well.
I missed this Alex. I'll see if we can get a slide type. I have a buddy with a new TIG and he's never used it. Maybe I can persuade him to leave it at my house and I can try some of those techniques. :evil:

Glad to see your back at it man!!
Hows the new place workin out??
Thanks Greg! Love my new place, I have much more room to work. Still need to get the 220v plugs installed by an electrician and I can really get to work. Thankfully, all my cut files are out to my plasma CNC guy and I should have a shit-ton of brackets and tabs to start the front tube work. Also might have a trailer in the works, we'll see if the guy takes my offer. No more flat tow!!! :smokin:

I need to get out on a trip soon, getting sad looking at the Jeeps around town and seeing everyone go wheelin. Still saving leave for KOH!

I've lurked for a while here and there through your thread, still not completely yet. I like the use of the Eaton diffs :smokin:
Thanks Juicy! I'm stoked to see it all come together and have the first running rig with an Eaton 60 front. Others have their Eaton 60 farther along, but I don't think anyone has one driving. Either way, I think it will be the first TJ with a set. :grinpimp:

Like I said earlier, I have a trailer in the works. There's not too much more to buy, it's all design and fab work now. The only big parts left are front inner shafts, glass work (hood/fenders and grill), and tires. Looking at some used Falken Wild Peak M/Ts at lunch today. :D

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #720 (Edited)
Bumped back to the front two pages...

This thing done yet? And don't blame the Postman either... :flipoff2:
:laughing:

Got the brackets yesterday, they look great! Thanks again Alex! :smokin: You were super fast and prompt, BlackWater Fab taking over the west coast!

I've been plugging away at the stupid little stuff while I was waiting for an electrician to wire up 220 in the garage. Got tired of $700+ quotes for two plugs, a 30A and 50A, 2 feet from the breaker box. :shaking: So I did it myself last weekend and am finishing up the air compressor plumbing and shop air lines this weekend. Hope to also finish up the little stuff for the cage and interior within 2 weeks. That should finish up the interior for the most part.

With these brackets now in my possession (finally, after 5 quotes/flakes and 10 weeks of waiting), I can start on the front end too. Doing the front first since the rear doesn't need as much work to get it going.

Anyone have CAD files or ideas for holding down the factory TJ fuel tank in the bed area? I'll be going to a Goat Built fuel tank in the future but want to use this TJ tank in the meantime since it's setup. I also have to make a firewall and tank enclosure down the road for racing. Maybe I'll just hand Drew at Goat $850 and call it done. :laughing:

Anyway, stay tuned fawkers :flipoff2:

701 - 720 of 1235 Posts