Pirate 4x4 banner

861 - 880 of 1241 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
External servo, or the one in the box? I've pretty much settled on going the same or similar route after stepping up to 41.5's last week

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
External servo, or the one in the box? I've pretty much settled on going the same or similar route after stepping up to 41.5's last week
Internal box servo, with what I've calculated it should be fine with the "smaller" double ended rams. Still a massive amount of force in a 2.0 ram. No need to buy an additional $600 component when it's all about using matched parts. If I were racing, I'd probably buy a 2.5 or 2.75 bore ram and the Howe/Sweet servo, but I haven't tried this setup yet either.

Going to run the PSC pump and the incoming AGR box together to see if they work well. My current PSC box is 4 turns lock to lock and I don't really like how that feels. Going with an 8" custom double shear pitman that I designed and this 3.5 turn AGR box, should give me a little under 3 turns lock to lock.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Thanks, I'll be following along. I'm curious if any mods are done to the stock servos on the high dollar assist boxes, vs stock or what you have. Which model AGR did you go with?

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Thanks, I'll be following along. I'm curious if any mods are done to the stock servos on the high dollar assist boxes, vs stock or what you have. Which model AGR did you go with?
Cool! It's a Super Box 1 for MJ and XJ. As far as I know, they can't modify two of the ports without a new casting. BUT, I've heard that PSC and Howe have their own castings. Not sure if AGR ever did that.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
PSC does for sure have their own casting. From my conversation with Jeff Howe the other week, I know that they still mod OEM boxes, but that's not to say that they don't have a new casting to offer. I'm following along because at $900 for the current PSC box, the external servo sounds cheap, lol. Howe only sells complete setups; $2500 for assist and $4k for their 4500 setup.

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
PSC does for sure have their own casting. From my conversation with Jeff Howe the other week, I know that they still mod OEM boxes, but that's not to say that they don't have a new casting to offer. I'm following along because at $900 for the current PSC box, the external servo sounds cheap, lol. Howe only sells complete setups; $2500 for assist and $4k for their 4500 setup.
External servo and a manual box is all you'd need. Just match the ram to the servo for flow. A 2.5 bore ram and the Howe servo would be the best DIY setup. For you, even if it's just a trail rig, I'd suggest the full race setup for your 41.5s. Do you want faster steering or just solid feel with the same rock crawler speed? Either way, double ended ram assist is the way to go! :smokin:

Yeah I met Jeff at KOH two years ago and he knows his stuff. Still not convinced we need trophy truck pumps on these steering setups like some people recommend. I think you could put together one of these setups for under $2000 buying brand new. I've pieced mine together for less than $500.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just finished reading the whole thread start to finish... that was a fun turkey weekend. What'd you get done while I was reading?

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
Just finished reading the whole thread start to finish... that was a fun turkey weekend. What'd you get done while I was reading?
Wow, I'm honored you read all my rambled posts :D Very glad you like it!

Been making all the preparations for the hydro assist. I think I have just about everything ordered. Trail Gear high pressure reusable fittings, pushloc fittings for return and feed, finned cooler, everything but the 100R5 -6 hose which I'll either order today or get from a buddy that has a hookup.

Added a bash plate for the truss. Not sure if I like the caption but it's a start.

Designed these cylinder tube mounts and had them cutout of 3/4" plate. Much cheaper than the $30 ea plus $15 shipping from PSC :shaking:

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
Nothing quite yet, been building the tube fenders for the trailer, repairing my generator, and working on my camper. Tore the front off the camper and replaced the entire support and front wall. Also replaced the dinette running board that was the entire support for the passenger's side. Just have to seal it up, insulate, and mount the jacks and it will be ready to go. A lot of work done on that thing!

Camper-

Before

Also, drove it to work-
Steering should be done soon, going snow wheeling this weekend

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #874

Good trip overall, just not my style of wheeling. 5 hours of winching and nothing but switchbacks on cliffs isn't my idea of a good trip. Great people though, which made it all worth it at the time. hah!

·
Registered
295 Posts
We should have just went on the logging roads.
Way to much winching!!!
Still a fun day though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
Yeah I went wheeling around here at a place that had tons of cliffs in the snow before. Fuck that. Snow wheeling is fun enough on logging roads

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
We should have just went on the logging roads.
Way to much winching!!!
Still a fun day though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still fun but I think I'll pass next time and try something flatter. haha!! Thanks for the pics Greg!!! :smokin:

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #879
Sticky tars no Bueno in the snow.
They actually did very well. Held up at 2-3 psi on the BTRs even going 20-30mph on the road back to loading area. I was seriously impressed. They hooked up just as well as any other tire there, just can't go uphill on ice. :laughing: No beads lost, no burping air. The Jantz deflators make deflating easy as pie, so glad to have those.

Yeah I went wheeling around here at a place that had tons of cliffs in the snow before. Fuck that. Snow wheeling is fun enough on logging roads
Exactly. Romping around the campground roads and the loading areas with 1-2 feet was way more fun than sliding backwards down a cliff.

Ate up my Tactical Recovery Equipment winch rope too, barely any use on it. Damn fairlead developed a burr and just ate it. :shaking: Still help up well, just needs to be reconditioned I think. I'll see if it can be fixed at KOH.

Rig needs a new battery. Suggestions? Been through an Optima and an Odyssey, Optima was new and Odyssey was 2-3 years old when I got it. Need something that can go down to minimum voltage with high draw for winching. I have a 117 amp alternator already.

·
NERD
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Updates prior to KOH this year :D

Double Ended Ram Hydro Assist is in full effect. I may be moving the port location from the small 1/8" compound angle hole in the stock case, we'll see. I could also just open up the 1/8" hole.

Take apart your perfectly good box (that you'll later find to be damaged)

Hole in question:

I used Surplus Center fittings that were $1 each so I ordered extras. Glad I did, the ram needed new fittings. I used reusable field service fittings from Trail Gear and bought 100R5 hose from a surplus hydraulics online store.

Yarded the "old" PSC box and stock pump. Thinking of putting on my newer LJ pump and throwing this on the girlfriend's new TJ. Might just sell it. For now, it's the spare system. :D

To disable the power steering in the box itself, which is what powers the sector shaft, you remove this piston, the o ring, and the teflon seal.

Make cuts like this, to disable the piston. I used super accurate grinder wheels and flap discs, good to 0.000001". Impressive, I know.

861 - 880 of 1241 Posts