Pirate 4x4 banner

961 - 980 of 1241 Posts

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
Couple updates for the build for people following that. I'll try to keep these in order.

I used 1.75x.120 tubing to make my motor mounts and 3/16 plate for a gusset. The gusset also acts as the steering bushing mount. Used the plasma to make this in about 10 minutes. Love that Hypertherm!

I then nestled the 5.3 into place, headers, intake, blah blah blah. I reused my Griffin 24x19 radiator and it works very well to cool this rig, even with an open shroud. The Volvo fan on high cooled it almost too quickly. I'll be moving the fan to automatic operation via the PCM. For now it's on a 3 position toggle switch.

For my exhaust, I cut off the 2.25" collector mains and made them a full 2.5". I used a Vibrant 2.5 to 3 collector merge and it's a fantastic piece. Worth the time and money to just buy this instead of making one. If I had more time I'd love to make one but it was very nice to just chop up tube and tack in place. I used all 304 stainless. If I was to do it again I'd buy a small TIG machine just for small aluminum jobs and stainless exhaust. It's on the list for sure. Exhaust sounds very good though!

A picture mid-build during late January. Thrash sessions every night after work until 11-12pm. Burning that oil. Dropped the rig down 4".

Rear shock mounts that are modular and swappable for different length shocks. Pretty neat. Still need to clean it up and make a new one for the 2.5 shock bodies but it's awesome to just unbolt them and add a new plate. Also shown are 3D printed carbon fiber nylon line holders. I thought I grabbed a picture of these in place but guess not. I'll grab one eventually to show how clean they made the trans cooler lines. Very happy with these and very tough. Front bushings for sway bar are also 3D printed!

Final resting place for the battery and 12" Uni air filter. This thing had ZERO problems in the dust, it's still ready for more action. Won't have to clean it much, which is exactly what I wanted. Previous battery support tubes will be cut off soon.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #962
Now for some tech.

First off - the 700R4 and the 4L60E are essentially the same trans but the 4L60E is all computer controlled. This means the shift shafts can be swapped to make room for a driveline. You will also probably delete the neutral safety switch (NSS) when you do this but it saves you almost an inch IIRC.

Fuel setup - there's debate on this, but I am not looking to argue. I had my Jeep at full throttle quite a few times and monitored the fuel rate. I will put a gauge on the rail soon to hush the 58 psi naysayers. No, the early TJs do not put out enough pressure for an LS in stock form. The fuel output inside diameter is far too small. They output about 49 psi from the factory until the new tanks, which I believe is 03/04 model year. Someone correct me if that's not right. The newer TJ pumps can run most LS engines just fine. With my new adapter, now the older TJs can do it too.

Anyway, the actual pump will put out well over 58 psi. I designed and had made a drop-in fuel adapter to use a Corvette external returnless regulator. It works marvelously. It has a 6AN male straight fitting on top for your choice of connection to the regulator or you can use a return type system. You will be required to pull the pump out and drill two holes. One hole will cut off the old fuel nipple that went into the pump output tube. The other hole is your return. I used a fuel cell bulkhead 6AN fitting for the return. Dual o-rings seal the adapter to the fuel pump body while the factory red o-ring is reused off the regulator. You must carefully but forcefully pry the old TJ regulator off the fuel pump body, drill out the pickup tube (this essentially cuts it off) and pop in the adapter after drilling the second hole for the return. Pretty easy, took about 30 minutes total once the fuel tank is available.

This makes your supply a true 5/16" inside diameter - not 1/8" or whatever stock dimension comes out to be. This should support plenty of HP, it's a huge upgrade over stock. I reused my 5/16 factory hard line and ditched the return line. It also lets you replace the TJ fuel pump with a Walbro in the future if you'd like but retain the stock TJ tank and fuel pump body.

Anyway, here's a picture of it installed. I'm hesitant to post the adapter itself but it's 1 piece stainless steel and I also made one out of aluminum. I had no issues at all, I was surprised how easy it went together. Very happy with how this came out. Ground the large black wire from the pump pigtail and supply 12v ignition hot to the large red wire. The other two wires are for your sender. 20 ohms is full, 220 ohms is empty.

Onto the sector shafts. I reached out to a racer in need for a 300M saginaw sector shaft. We ended up making one in about 6 weeks. It did about 20 miles at KOH with no issues but needed another box with a higher ratio to truly test the limits. That racer will be testing the shaft at the Mint 400. Just a quick photo during manufacturing and testing the splines. These came out very nice, I'll keep updating as we go along.

I'll give a full KOH update tomorrow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If yew ain't first yer last :flipoff2: Been a while since I've seen you Greg, we should hit the dunes soon. Can't help you with the pills though, my junk barely works enough! :laughing:

Hell yea man!!
I need more HP for dunes!!
Gonna be selling the house soon which should enable me some more time and $$$
Most likely move south (your direction)!!
Then I just need the nads to tear into my pile!!!
It’s been awesome seeing yours progress (in person).
The fab work, machine work and tech on this thread is great!!
Keep it up man!!!
KOH 2019 for sure!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
Hell yea man!!
I need more HP for dunes!!
Gonna be selling the house soon which should enable me some more time and $$$
Most likely move south (your direction)!!
Then I just need the nads to tear into my pile!!!
It’s been awesome seeing yours progress (in person).
The fab work, machine work and tech on this thread is great!!
Keep it up man!!!
KOH 2019 for sure!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir. Let me know when you come down to look at houses, I can show you a few areas. We live off a lake, it's close enough to walk down to the dock but far enough to avoid the shore tax. :D

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #966
eagerly waiting!
Well KOH was dusty as fawk. Not sure if it was more dry than usual or if HK didn't water down enough. Never ever camping near Hammertown again. Done with that. Kids ripping their quads through camp at 20mph, side by sizes doing the same at 40, dust everywhere. Can't open up shocks to tune them without covering everything and cleaning the shim packs 30 times. Done with it.

The rear ambers that I mounted did really well for safety. Highly recommend those. Also have four 8.5" Vision X HIDs to mount, stay tuned for those. :D

Last hour of camp, we decided to show the quad kids how you do it. Jumping the berm they were ripping through-

Race course prerun. Kept up for the most part. I don't have bypasses yet so it was a challenge at some points but overall very happy with how the Jeep did. Moving the bumps to the rear for now will help a lot. These pics are previous to the spring swap that lowered the Jeep.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #967 (Edited)
Couple more pictures; Parked at Backdoor watching the EMC. You can see the amount of dust during the day behind the rig.

Front end took a beating on those 50 race miles and kept going. At one point I hit a rock with the diff that took out a 3/8" chunk from the housing. Still shocked that's all that happened. Nothing some welding can't fix. The axle seal on the other hand....well, two seals per side doesn't seem to do it. The housing itself might be slightly bent from years of abuse prior to being under my abusive rig. I'll try to straighten the long side a bit. I think I blew out one of the lower ball joints, they were $14 cheapies so I'm not too worried about that. Replace and go.

Lowered down, sitting much better. Rear to come next.

I have more pics from backdoor and chocolate thunder that I'll post a little later.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #968 (Edited)
For anyone wondering what fuel fittings and lines I used, here's a quick rundown. If you'd like the actual Excel sheet or a PDF version, send me a PM. I used a bulkhead fitting to pass through the body and it cleaned up the routing quite a bit. I used stainless steel braided 6AN lines for all flex connections and the factory 5/16" hard line with the screw on hardline adapters to convert the end of the 5/16 hard line to 6AN. This is not to be confused with the fuel nipple adapters that screw together. I have the 6AN nuts in the spreadsheet but I ended up not using those and finding these trick little hard line adapters instead of having to flare the fuel line. If anyone needs the part number for those, just ask. I believe I ended up buying one more 90* 6AN elbow, maybe two. Also, Amazon has most of these parts on Prime for a bit more cost than JEGS if you need it quickly. JEGS got all these to me in about 3-4 days however.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #970 (Edited)
Looking good man!
Gracias :D Working on the 3M wrap now, should have it installed this weekend. Also finishing all the little stuff that I should have finished last year. :p

That includes:

• Half Doors with latches
  • Cut off previous fairlead mount and old light bar mount
  • Mount four 9" VisionX HIDs
  • Finish LCG go-fast 3 link/4 link system
  • Move 2.0 Fox bumps to the rear, pickup 2.5 bypasses when able
  • Lower rear end ~2" to match front
  • Cut off old bump pads
  • Install Synergy bump pads
  • Tidy up all the little shit I didn't get done before KOH
  • GO WHEELING!
I ordered two more 14" 125lb springs for the rear coilovers, should settle the rear end. I'll fix the mounts and cut a hole in the floor soon. Gotta have that uptravel :D

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #972
Since this is in the go fast category now. Any thoughts to stretching this lj length?
There's been some and a future family may make that a reality. For now, I want to start entering some local races to get to know the Jeep in that kind of environment and push the limits a bit. I've done all this building, I want to see what she'll do. All of this will push me to eventually race the EMC.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #973
Sneek peak of the 3M 1080 wrap. I have decals being cut now for the swap meet. I'll have some others soon for a more vintage Jeep look. Pretty excited about the outcome so far, I'll have better pictures soon. Grill and cowl are painted with Satin black. Everything else is wrapped. If I tear up the wrap on the armor I'll paint over it.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #976
Looks freaking darn sexy! makes me want to go wrap my junk (the Jeep, not my "junk") right now :) How hard was the install?
Thanks Gui! Install took two of us about 6 hours. I did the heating and follow through, buddy did the actual lay down. Use the wrap gloves and the soft squigee if you do it!

that look really nice
Thank you! Can't wait to see it all done.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #977 (Edited)
Rolled the rig outside to clean up the shop. Painted the grill and cowl to match, satin black. Had some decals cut of my small business and attached them. Posted it up at the Moonshiners swap meet and had a great time talking to new people and old friends.

Looks high in this pic, I didn't realize the fuel tank is nearly empty and it's leaning to one side since I had the rear sway bar disconnected.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #978
Also, big thanks to everyone that came out and said hi, it was great to meet all of you.

I'll be throwing in some larger shocks soon and hitting the dunes this summer. For now, I wanna wrap up the little things and get it 100% ready. I want to get the tabs renewed and register the Jeep for a few car shows, show it off, keep it clean for a little bit before I thrash on her :laughing:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
really nice work man. nice jeep that i bet is fun to drive

the aw4 i got from you is still sitting on my garage floor. hoping to get it in this summer though.

·
NERD
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #980
really nice work man. nice jeep that i bet is fun to drive

the aw4 i got from you is still sitting on my garage floor. hoping to get it in this summer though.
Thanks man :D I'm surprised you have swapped it yet! I have a buddy that just asked me yesterday about swapping an AW4, same setup. I wish I had done mine sooner, it was an awesome upgrade that really had the best of both worlds - auto and manual. That AW4 I gave you is still full of fluid IIRC :laughing: Pretty fresh too, just did the filter and fluid about 250 miles ago.

Bought tabs for the Jeep today :grinpimp:

961 - 980 of 1241 Posts