Pirate 4x4 banner

1221 - 1240 of 1241 Posts

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222
I blew out the front seal on my recently swapped Sweet servo (.235) and realized I hadn't installed the snap ring. DOH! All is good now and a flex joint was put in place. Steering is silky smooth and feels great. Easy driving down the road but tight and directional like I wanted. Gave it another alignment and it actually drives nice. :laughing:

Put the Jeep up for sale. I'll be at Sand Lake this weekend if anyone sees me say hello if you'd like. Jeep will go into storage after this weekend :( but it's time to move on. I love this Jeep but I am not using it often enough to justify keeping it. If I get bored this winter I'll backhalf it or if the new owners wants to pay me for the work I'll do that too.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehicles-trailers-sale/2686138-4500-ultra4-style-street-jeep-tj.html

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,223
We had a great time out at the tiny Sandlake dunes in Oregon. Not too crowded, plenty of space for people. No lifeflight out of there this time so that's nice too. All in all a very good trip with no troubles out of the Jeep. I think the trans temp sensor is heat soaked from the headers and will need to be moved again. I'd also like to angle out the trans cooler and reverse the flow for air from the fan. It's pulling out the engine bay now but when I'm driving it will be the opposite. I plan to move the sensor to the front of the pan like I used to have it on the AW4 and 4L60E. If I end up working on the Jeep this winter I'd like to have the exhaust ceramic coated like I've mentioned and add v band clamps to replace the 3 bolt flanges on the headers. Wish I did that when I made the exhaust! I'll also likely notch the crossmember a bit for the exhaust to give it a bit more room and run it all the way out the back with the new frame if/when I get to that.

This was just the trip I needed to feel good about putting the Jeep in storage while the LS996 project starts. I am even more torn at selling it but some things need to change in life at the moment. Perhaps after I sell my boat and Raptor I'll feel differently, especially since this Jeep now drives better than it ever has.

Enough babbling, here's some great pics from this weekend. I have a few videos I'm editing and will upload.

skidded to a stop, much fun

Camp sites are always amazing. I love the open sand and fire pits with enough open sky to enjoy the weather. 70 degrees all weekend!

The sky out there is always the best we've come across at any dune we've been to. Simply beautiful.

Dedicated mallcrawler :flipoff2:

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,224 (Edited)
Forgot to post this video. Pretty good sound out of if after the bikes and quads are done braaaaping around. This was 50-60 in the fast parts. If I had the bypasses installed it would go faster :evil::evil::evil:

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Thanks Matt! I have a local source that gives me a very good discount for my military service so I’ve been using them but I will keep Calico in mind. I definitely see the value in companies like that. Correcting their own errors instead of hoping the customer doesn’t see isn’t common anymore.

Did you notice a significant reduction in heat? I want to coat the entire exhaust after I route it out the back of the Jeep and then wrap entire mid pipe including the muffler to reduce nearly all of the excess heat under the passenger footwell and seat area.

I’ve been slowly plugging away on a few small issues on the Jeep so hopefully I’ll have an update soon. Planning to get the rear frame started this week and build it on my bench as much as possible before cutting the factory frame off.
Sorry for the massive delay in reply as I haven't been on here much lately. Underhood temps are a bit better than not being coated but the biggest thing I've noticed is that after you shut the engine off, the tubing seems to cool off much faster so that you can work on it sooner, if needed. You can't go wrong with coating it. I'd say to forget the wrap as well. If you can the ideal solution would be to have it coated and a heat shield in place. That should be more than enough to keep things reasonable in the cab.

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,226
Sorry for the massive delay in reply as I haven't been on here much lately. Underhood temps are a bit better than not being coated but the biggest thing I've noticed is that after you shut the engine off, the tubing seems to cool off much faster so that you can work on it sooner, if needed. You can't go wrong with coating it. I'd say to forget the wrap as well. If you can the ideal solution would be to have it coated and a heat shield in place. That should be more than enough to keep things reasonable in the cab.
No worries about the delay, I got plenty of time :D Thanks for the response, I am definitely coating them after I finish the rear frame chop and route the exhaust behind the axle.

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,227
Not much to update on the actual Jeep, it's still in storage. Might have time and space to drag it out. Porsche LS1 is almost done.

I've been designing an aluminum TJ dash replacement with center console...might even offer it as a kit and become a vendor :D

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not much to update on the actual Jeep, it's still in storage. Might have time and space to drag it out. Porsche LS1 is almost done.

I've been designing an aluminum TJ dash replacement with center console...might even offer it as a kit and become a vendor :D
Not enough cup holders! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Not enough cup holders! :flipoff2:
Three cup holders is just showing off.:flipoff2:

That dash looks really nice. One thought though if you do plan to sell it. That big tablet might not be something everyone wants. Maybe a couple options for that space?

Genright has a dash for JK's that goes for $1800...........and folks are buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Genright has a dash for JK's that goes for $1800...........and folks are buying it.

How's that saying go again...... There is a sucker born everyday.

I think that might be Genrights business motto. Their shit is nice, but not "pay for their racing habbit" nice. The credit card wheelers are their best friends. :laughing:

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,231
Three cup holders is just showing off.:flipoff2:

That dash looks really nice. One thought though if you do plan to sell it. That big tablet might not be something everyone wants. Maybe a couple options for that space?

The cup holders fit Nalgene sized bottles too :D Tired of my Hydroflask flailing around at 75mph in the dunes. :laughing:

Yeah the tablet space can be anything but most people run a Lowrance or a cheap tablet. I wanted a big enough space to mount an iPad pro but an iPad Air or regular iPad fit there too and look fine. Considering a Lowrance vs iPad costs, I think most people would easily use a regular iPad for $200 from OfferUp. Cheap maps and gauge data too if you're using a dongle. It also can control the Switch Pros from there which makes the buttons huge if you need/want that.

How's that saying go again...... There is a sucker born everyday.

I think that might be Genrights business motto. Their shit is nice, but not "pay for their racing habbit" nice. The credit card wheelers are their best friends. :laughing:
:laughing: Yeah Genright has their $2000 JK Dash. I know a few guys that love their products, and the products seem nice, but I don't have $120k for a Jeep all at once :laughing:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I saw your post on facebook, hmmm.. I was originally going to buy Genrights center console because i'm too lazy to build one. But having an ipad in the center would be awesome for gauges on my terminator setup.

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233
I saw your post on facebook, hmmm.. I was originally going to buy Genrights center console because i'm too lazy to build one. But having an ipad in the center would be awesome for gauges on my terminator setup.
:grinpimp: Good! I've been thinking about buying a yellow star. I need to increase my inventory and come out with a few more items like this dash to really justify the cost. We'll see!

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,234
The Jeep is back home :grinpimp: I've been prepping for surgury :evil: This frame chop is happening now instead of later thanks to 'Rona.

Also picked up this gem...a BNIB 14 Bolt ARB. Time to setup the rear third with a selectable locker finally!

Attachments

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,235
Another parts update: Scored some near new Walker Evans 2.5x12 piggyback coilovers off a 2019 Rzr XP 1000. These have the adjuster knobs and high quality components - gonna put them up front. We'll see if I have to make any new mounts but these are only ~1" shorter than the Fox 2.0x14s up front. I'll need to adjust some things up front to fit them but not much I hope.

I have 125/200 springs on the way from Magnitude Performance. Shims in the Walker shocks are 7/16" ID and all my Fox shims are .500" ID. I'll have to make a thin wall spacer for the Fox shims because I don't want to buy $200 Walker Shim kit. Already have the $$$ Fox shim kit :D Piston should also have enough meat to drill out.

I'll take pics and let y'all know how it all goes. Should be taking the plasma to the frame soon! :evil:

Attachments

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,236
Whew. Been a while. Ditching the ARB idea. I don't want to invest the time. I drew up all the models and plans to adapt the 14 Bolt ARB to the Eaton H072. If someone wants to do that mod, PM me.

Hacked the back of the frame off and been slowly getting it done. Plans is to finish it out, add Marshall gauges to the cluster, tidy up some things, and then leave it alone and maybe list it for sale with some Renegade graphics from back in the day. :D

Pics will speak for themselves below for the most part. Had to tunnel the TJ frame to get enough clearance for the lowers to stuff into every last bit of the body and tub area. I'll be cutting a little more, plating it, and reinforcing it. This back half will be very very strong. More pics next post.

Attachments

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,237
More pics. I changed the design of the shock enclosure. It was silly to make it from round tube. Just make some bends and box it out. Simple and easy. Takes maybe 20 minutes to make the enclosure including cutting it, now. I need to redo this first one, the bends got wonky because it was the first time I used the pan brake and misjudged the bend centerline. Live and learn, easy to replace.

Hacked the tub out and everything jives. I need to get some time with the grinder on the axle and clean things up. Then cut out the other shock mount and tub area to make the other side match after I make two new enclosures. It's close, but also far away at the same time.

Fabbed a new bumper with just straight tube. No need to make things difficult or overcomplicated. Tired of doing that to myself, so things will be 100% as simple as I can tolerate. Hah!!!

Attachments

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,238
Last set of pics (10 max now)

Attachments

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,239
I mentioned it above, but the rig will be for sale when the back half is done and it's been gone through. Now's a chance to strike a deal with me and determine how it's finished if someone is looking for a clean rig that's street legal and 100% capable of entering 4500 class in Ultra4. 100k invested and it will be priced less than half that. I'd like it to go to a good home, I just don't use it and been ripping around in my Raptor lately. Cheers!

1221 - 1240 of 1241 Posts