Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So My jeep has been torn down since 2011. That's when I decided to throw a 14b and 60 under it and have it ready to drive at my wedding in may of 2012. Obviously that didn't happen so we borrowed a diesel CJ6 for our wedding.

The jeep kept getting more and more added and other things got in the way. Previously I stretched it to ~100" on coils and 36" TSLs.

This stage was going to include chopping the rear frame, using box tube instead, coilovers, and a shaved 14b and 60 front. Life got in the way... finished school, started a new job in a different city, bought a house, fixed up the old house to sell, sold the old house, parked the jeep in the barn for a while saying "once I build the new shop, I'll work on it again...", and a kid. In that same time frame I've bought and sold a few jeeps including a YJ on 35s, locked with a 302.

Decided enough was enough, moved the TJ into the shop of the same barn and started working on it. Made some progress, then other things took priority. Long story short, it took another turn.

Plans now include...
GoatBuilt subframe and a lot of tubes.
112" wb
60 arb full hydro and 5.38s.
Shaved 14b with a grizzly and 5.38s
Artec trusses
Radflo coilovers 16&14"
Atlas 4spd
42" Pitbull rockers (trump day special) with raceline rock monster bead locks
Mild 302 with B303 cam, and explorer intake. Good buddy has a performance shop (Morgan Performance in Hope,Indiana) and I asked him what it would cost to build one. He said see that block, take it home with you, I'm going to scrap it. I still need some internals but I've also got a set of BBK equal length headers to go on it.

Stretching body to LJ length.

Aside from tubes, I need brakes, driveshafts, transfer case, and time.

I used my buddy's future frame table I beams to build my frame table.

I will say the goat subframe is stupid easy to put together. I bought their subframe, skids, and engine mount. Jeremy at Goat answered all the questions I had about it.

Some old photos

Long story short, my wife said just get it done, I don't care what it costs, just get it done. My son who turns 2 in June 2017 loves playing around in jeeps. He likes to sit down and watch buggy videos on YouTube so it needs to get done sooner than later.

It will be a slow build, but hopefully it gets done in 2017. I've got the itch for wheeling it again.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
looking good man! Glad You decided to start a build thread. I will definitely be following this build. You better hurry up though if you plan to finish this year.:beer:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my neighbor told me my shop was actually an old lumber yard. It was built in the mid 60s. 25x70' with 20x25 concrete which was poured in 4 different pours. It's not anywhere close to level. Anyway, the chassis table is level and the subframe is clamped down. The adjustable legs are 3" grade 5 bolts 1" diameter.

03 TJuggy project, Goatbuilt sub frame, 302, 60/shaved 14b, 42" pitbulls

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Are you planning on running same length links front and rear or shorter front and longer rears? Are going to shove the subframe up into the tub like I did or let it hang low?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Planning to run same ish length links. Enough where I can have enough thread adjustment to make them the same if that makes sense. I'm planning on cutting the body. Compared to yours, I am going to try and shift the tub forward a little but this will require cutting the front more. I don't plan on cutting as much of the rear floor like you did so it may have a little less ground clearance.

I haven't gotten too far other than what's in my head for ideas.

03 TJuggy project, Goatbuilt sub frame, 302, 60/shaved 14b, 42" pitbulls

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If anyone was ever curious... a Ford 302 does not have symmetric engine mount locations. Basically has to do with the block webbing. I didn't realize this and tacked each mount in the same location. Once I went to check the cross member I spent a lot of time measuring the cross member to make sure it didn't pull when I welded it... long story short I'm glad I just tacked them in place.

Difference is 1"

Plenty of room between the oil pan and cross member.

03 Project Procrastination... a TJuggy Build, Goatbuilt sub frame, 302, 60/shaved 14b, 42" pitbulls

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Working on mating engine and transmission. 302 to nv3550 with advance adapters kit.
Transmission required a little but of grinding to fit a bolt hole. Bell housing required a hole as well for the shifter rail.

If anyone by chance has a bell housing from an mid to late 80s Ford truck with a v8 and manual transmission, I need another. Picked this up from a junk yard and noticed after cleaning it when I got home it's been welded on for the mounting bolts and I found a crack in it today. Oh well, will use it for mock up.

Need to get shorter bolts for bellhousing

03 Project Procrastination... a TJuggy Build, Goatbuilt sub frame, 302, 60/shaved 14b, 42" pitbulls

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't got nearly as much done as I had wanted to get done this weekend but here it is.

4speed atlas will be right at front of rear goat crossmember with short tail housing or rear with standard housing. Plan on gps speedo so may go short.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
May run into oil filter clearance issues. All depends on where the front axle ends up at full bump. Smaller filter won't fit either. This filter is the worst case scenario for size.
If it's an issue I will relocate the filter to the chassis.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Been playing with transmission mounts tonight. I was going to use another motor mount bushing but was thinking, " what if I could the stock style trans mount". That would make it easy to replace anywhere just go to a local parts store. The one I had in there for years was a prothane. In fact, it bolts to the transmission without the adapter plate.

Things to note. 302 v8, manual nv3550 and a 4 speed atlas so there will be a lot of weight hanging behind it. I would use the press brake to bend up some 1/4" plate to make the piece that goes between the trans bushing and cross member.

Thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

The black poly mount should allow for everything to twist which should put less twist in the system. I think it would be less likely to separate too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trans mount version 2.0.

·
P.B.A.
4,337 Posts
With a 4speed handing off the back of that tranny. I'd try to support the rear of the tcase somehow. On my build I used the same mount that I did under the tranny in line with it so everything moves the same way. Looks good.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts