Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
How much of a body stretch are you doing? Front line keeps the rear floor more in tact, and doesn’t make a mile long wheel well.

15” to LJ length. After removing the belt rails last night I’m thinking the front line. The inner fenders will be cut and redone but I think cutting it forward will help me keep the rear section in tact while I move it.

Luckily I have one LJ belt rail, but I will have to make 2 TJ ones into one LJ one. They don’t make them anymore.

I also had 2 spot welds in the front section pull out when I was removing the belt rails so I might as well do it from the front.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Tub is squared up on the table. Front half is tack welded to hold it in place. Building a rear slider section so it will all stay square and move back. It needs the other supports but here’s the start.

The base of the sliding section is angle iron. Since the table is square it will slide right off.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Looking good. Having sliders to keep it square made my stretch super easy.

I figured I have the table, I might as well use it. My shop is a little small so it makes things a little tricky. Once the whole thing is finished, I will have to put it on rollers, lower the shocks all the way or remove them and use tube instead, take down a wall and back it out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Picked up a full LJ soft top with door surrounds for $225 this morning. Just needs b pillar brackets. Not sure if it will get used much if at all, but it was a pretty good price so I couldn’t pass it up

·
Registered
260 Posts
It’s ugly but it should do the trick. I was running out of scrap steel.
Ha, I know that feeling. Hate to cut up non-scrap for temporary stuff. You should see the template/jigging I currently have rigged for raising/extending my inner fenders.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well, between my wife wanting to clean out our spare bedroom so we could start preparing it for our 2 year old to move into and welding a buddy’s broken seat slider in his crown Vic I didn’t get as much planned as I had hoped.

Things I have confirmed though:
I necessarily enjoy doing body panels yet but hopefully it will get there.
The replacement Noram brand side panel is not an exact replica as I had hoped it would be for the top edging. The bends are close but not the same but I think I can make it work. Just need a little more post installation massaging. I bought one side panel and cut it in half to give me the 15” sections.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
It’s been cold so I haven’t been working during the week.

I’m no body expert but I’m learning. Borrowed a sheet metal break and a sheet metal flange and it makes things much easier.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Tired of sheet metal work I decided to mount an LJ corner blank on my TJ.

Need longer boat sides sides but that will come later

Because boat sides.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So my wife fell yesterday morning and is now on crutches and in a walking boot. Delayed some jeep time today but I was able to get out and put the driver panel in.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon/ evening I can get the floor in and driver corner on.

Also did some more procrastinating. Decided to rip out living room carpet so the living room is getting new paint and engineered hardwood to match the rest of the house that I put down over past few years. It’s my new between work and until my son goes to bed project.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Last weekend I put the floor in the jeep. I planned to bead roll it but went with thicker steel instead since I didn’t have enough material to use the bead roller. Oh well. It will be under a seat so it won’t be seen. I will put some seam sealer on it eventually after I cut it to make room for links and link mounts.

Now I’m prepping my other TJ to go wheeling in a month. Putting new lower control arm mounts on the front axle, driver is done, 3 link front to get rid of the worn out BDS suspension and their stupid short uppers, genright stretch tank and new rear shock mounts. I also need to do some body mount rust repair in the process. Just plan to cut out the bad, slide some plate in and weld it back together. Nothing crazy with that one.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thanks, a few other things have taken priority this past week or so with my wife out of town in Paris for photography. She reminds me from time to time that her hobby actually makes money and none of mine do, but that’s ok.

Also this is happening. He doesn’t understand what’s going on but his world is going to change.

He was tired and cranky when the photo was taken.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Took the easy way out for the cage. I’m going to do a different down tube to tie into other tubes.

I need to finish up things on my blue TJ then back to this project.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Been working on my blue TJ for the past few weeks here and there. Custom 3 link front, replaced rotted middle body mounts and now dropped the tank.

Fuel tank was a pain. A couple bolts had to have some extra help to get them out

Up next, Ford F-250 shock upper mounts and new lower mounts, then a genright tank.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts