Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gettinmg started on a new Winter project :)

No, my YTJ (see my sig) is not done, and you can not use the words "done" and "Jeep" on the same phrase, that is just wrong :D

The story behind it: EDIT (forgot to mention, hehe, this is all Doug's - "blueovalyj's fault :p, all started with a PM from him "I have a friend sellinga Jeep..." and went downhill from there :) I then bought the Jeep from the original owner, the Jeep was in an accident, it slid back, hit a tree and pretty much beat the tub pretty bad, bent the frame, destroyed the gas tank, etc etc. The Jeep is a 2001 TJ, only 10K miles, that was bought mainly for mild wheeling, and has a list of goodies, like a D44 rear, 4.56's, great Rubicon Express Long arm kit with 5.5 Inch lift, 35 MT's in great shape, SYE, etc, and even AC (I will be spoiled)!!

The Jeep tank and pump are toast, along with the tub, frame, cage, tie rod and drag link, and some other misc parts. My initial plan was to just chop the rear of the tub, and extend Unlimited wise, straighten as much as possible the frame or redo the rear of frame as much as possible, and get started on a build (bigger axles and meats), but luckily was able to find a guy parting out locally a TJ that had pretty much everything I was looking for, great tub, frame, cage, tank, etc etc, and could not resist putting it back together :D

I bought and towed the parts Jeep home after the whole Jeep was scavenged of the parts the guy wanted to keep or sell, and am starting the tearing down.

The first step will be to remove the tank from the tub jeep (Donor), get longer fuel lines, and put it in the back of the TJ, so it can move again on its own, along with fixing the steering.

I am debating buildup plans at this point, and coming up with some ideas on what the buildup will end up like. I have been looking into doing a portal axle build and this could be a good candidate. At the same time my fiance is digging the Jeep and the project, so how build it will end up, could depend on that.

So options right now are:

A) transplant parts between Jeeps, (most likely from the Bent Jeep to the Donor, and leave as is, have some fun with what it has and possibly build more in the near future

Sell some of the stuff off (suspension, axles, tires and wheels, and extra $$) then:

B) transplant some parts, extend wheelbase, portals or one tons

C) Canibalize my current rig for the axles, and parts, then sell my current rig (I think I can not bring myself to do it yet :).

Well only time (and $$) will tell, but the project is getting started now :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn you are trying to collect every one of them jeeps you can get your hands on --- DONT tear apart the one you just finished, fix the one you just bought and let the future wife drive it and have some fun -- at least until you cant stand it anymore then tear it apart....:D :D :D
We will be down in July so what ever you decide it better be done by then !!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
looks like the tree was just making way for some 38's. Take it to a frame shop, get some new steering on it, then tow it to the trail for a good beatin':D

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hahah! Forgot to mention, this is all Doug's fault (blueovalyj)! All started with a Pm from him "I have a friend selling a Jeep" and went downhill from that, lol :) Doug, you better have some space in your garage in ID in case my fiance kicks me out :D See ya in July, it should be done by then !!! Doug, I am definitely debating the plan A for now, the issue is I just came across a guy parting out a mog locally.... I better stay off the net, it is a very bad influence!! I am leaning towards the mogs since I could possibly get them for a fairly decent price, since I will have to move all of the stuff from the bent Tj to the donor TJ anyway (axles, suspension, etc), so this might be the time to do it :)

Haha, tubing on the roof rack of the WJ was bending it up, we tried loading it up with some more sticks and it actually bent down, I think DOM 1.75 a abit over 20 feet weights about 40 pds a stick, so the rack was caving in... time to get a trailer :)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Looks like a cool build. I would also have trubble debating what I would do.

Good luck,

JDunn

·
Registered
656 Posts
There does come a time when you have too many projects/vehicles.... you are nearing that point :flipoff2:

Make one good one as quick as you can, sell leftovers, and finish the ORIGINAL project :D .02

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Build yourself a hardcore TJ with portals, big meats and all the bling, and give the YTJ to the fiance :)

As for extending the fuel lines, I just cut the factory lines on mine and clamped a rubber fuel injection hose at each end, works great.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I say A for sure......Having a nice capable street worthy jeep with a/c is sweet. Once you tear into and go crazy it will never be the same.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
ahem, doug does not have room :flipoff2:

Swap everything good to the straight rig and sell it. Probably make double your money back. Dont pass up the mogs though:smokin:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
geberhard said:
hmmm camea cross a complete Unimog (engine, cab, etc busted), but axles all there... Trying to work out the deal with the guy and see what happens :)

Gui
Your gf or wife must hate you.:flipoff2: You have and will have so much shit at your house, sick build though gui, keep us updated.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Moose,

whattup? How is the FJ coming along? Man, way too many projects, but sun is finally back up, so hoping to be able to get some progress done on the Jeep, so at least I can move it around on its own. Still need to put some time back on my current rig, planning to start snow wheeling soon :D

G

1 - 20 of 154 Posts