Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am finally working on my '79 F250 build. Right now, the truck is up in air to have room to work on the 4-link and sub frame etc. Believe me, ride height will be MUCH lower! I want to keep it as low as possible so I will be using the aid of my sawzawll to "trim" the sheet metal for the tires. The WB will be stretched to about 152". I'm shifting the front axle forward about 12" and the rear axle back about 10" to help approach angles etc.

Here are some specs for the build:

1979 F250 Reg Cab
Ford 460 BB
NP 205 T-case
T18 Trans
2.5T Rockwells (2 fronts for 4-wheel steering)
2.25"x.375" DOM lower links
2.0"x.250" DOM upper links
Forged 2.63" Joints
Custom 4-link rockwell brackets and coil buckets
Pinion brakes (Toyota / Mazda setup)
PSC front & rear full hydraulic steering:
PSC Double Ended Rams
PSC Orbital Valve
PSC Rear Steer Joystick Valve
PSC Cooler
PSC Steering wheel quick disconnect
PSC Pump
PSC Remote Res
48"x31" Alliance terra tires on 20"x25" steel wheels
C&M Machine wheel centers

Future plans include OE 2" Shafts and Ultra Lockers

Updated: 04-05-10

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Like I said, it will be MUCH lower when I'm done. I wanted the room to work under it easily. I agree, it would be waaaaay too tall if I kept it at this height when done. Sawzall + fenders = lower

We built stands under the front and rear frame to keep the center area open. Its VERY stable because the stands are welded to the frame and triangulated together. The frame will also be braced in the middle to prevent sagging etc.

:D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, it will be an all around rig for mud and rocks. Obviously, its not going to be the "best" rock rig since its soooo heavy etc. I do plan to wheel it in the rocks when I get the chance. Most of our terrain around here involves creeks, trails, mud and a few rocks. My plan is to build the rockwells up with 2" Ouverson Engineering shafts when I have the dough to do it. :grinpimp: The tires are VERY heavy so I know it will snap 2.5T stock shafts pretty easy if it gets in a bind or has a shock load. I hope to afford the OE shafts before I do any hard wheeling since it will take me a while to finish everything else (interior cage, wiring, etc. etc. etc.) I'm also debating on welding the rear since its a steering axle. I'm either going to weld the rear and OE lock the front or OE lock both. I'm also a little concerned about the strength of the kingpins with this wide of a tire. I guess we will see when it finally gets on the trail.

Haha, the forklift is being worked on in our shop by one of the mechanics who moonlights up here. I think he's putting a rebuilt motor and trans in it so he has it up on blocks to gain access to everything.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks like a killer build! I wouldn't mind giving you a hand getting the sub-frame and suspension together. Have you played around with the 4-link calculator at all?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
My only suggestion, trim as little sheet metal as possible.

Love to see some pictures of that thing articulating with some good flex. :rasta:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a killer build! I wouldn't mind giving you a hand getting the sub-frame and suspension together. Have you played around with the 4-link calculator at all?
Yeah, I did play with the 4-link calulator on here. I have it saved on a different computer so I will post up my rough numbers later.

Where in Tx are yall i would love to see this truck tring to gather parts for simliar build but going with a K5
I'm in College Station, TX. Gig 'Em!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey! you cant call your rig that, I already claimed it. Sorry. How about project private??

Mine for reference: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714553&page=5

And my 4 year old named my project, so its not like I can change mine...
Haha, well Im pretty sure its OK to have more than one "Project Sarge" running around.. lol Mine has been "Sarge" since '03 Im just re-doing it now... Its is in reference to O'L Sarge from Texas A&M Univeristy. That's cool that your 4yr old named yours! Sounds like a cool kid!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
152" WB is really long...

have you thought about moving the front axle up, and the rear axle forward, and then bobbing the bed to get the departure angle that you wanted?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
152" WB is really long...

have you thought about moving the front axle up, and the rear axle forward, and then bobbing the bed to get the departure angle that you wanted?
Yeah, that did cross my mind and I am still considering it. With 152" WB right now my rear drive shaft will be very long too which concerns me. I could divorce the 205 to help the driveline issue but I would still have a pretty long WB. hmmm I will definately think about that some more. Thanks

Where did you find the rims and tires
I got them from a local fertilizer truck shop. They run the 48" terra tires on the rear of the trucks. Initially I was going to run 6" BS with them to have more clearance for my links. After I welded two of the centers in with the 6" BS I decided they were way too wide so I just got through cutting those out and Im going to run about 10" of BS now which is what the wheels originally had.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Updated pics. I decided to change the BS to 9.5" instead of 6". Here are the finished wheel pics. Im going to prime and paint them this week and then mount the tires. Once I get the tires mounted I can start setting up my links etc.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts