Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure were to post this but it is Scout based and I think you guys will enjoy this.

About a year ago I acquired a non-running lawn tractor from my father-in-law's backyard. Our first thought was to restore it but we then realized it would be a lot more fun to modify it and put a 1/3 scale body on it.

My grandfather and I had already built a "mini-Willys" based off of a garden tractor, so this wasn't too far fetched.

So the build began to construct a 1/3 scale Scout II (more or less)

Objectives:
-True to real dimensions as possible
-I have to be able to fit in it (6'5"-250lbs)
-It has to resemble my scout II
-Have it done by IHWR 2012

Here is the willys

Here's the lawn tractor when I brought it home.

We had it running in about 30m. The thing didnt turn worth a shit (straight axle and tiller steering) We knew that those had to go!

The teardown:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Also to be noted:
-NO suspension or flex
-Transmission with forward and reverse but no gear depth
-Belt slip clutch :barf:

So first thing to do was to clean it up and get a diff in there as well as set our wheelbase as close to 33" as possible

New rear axle locaters on the right

The steering/front suspension was next:
So we took some box tubing and with a little chopsaw action we had ourselves a "walking beam" front axle and a set of knuckles

we also score a set of 2 piece white wheels to go with the theme :flipoff2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The front end complete now on to the steering.
The steering was a pain in the ass. We had to get the steering shaft over the motor but keep it low enough for the hood and windshield to fit. Then it had to go straight down and somehow connect to the tierod.
So Gramps brought home a trailer tongue jack that happened to have bevel gears in the top.

To get the trailer jack to move the knuckles we fabbed up a sort of home made steering rack for it, using a small implement sprocket and a cogged center section. Then connected that on one side to a draglink.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a comparison picture.

And here's a picture of my big dumb ass on it

in the mean time we cleaned up another 5hp Briggs we had in stock. This one had a little more hp and torque due to us "decking" the head 0.060 for better compression and gasket matching the intake/exhaust ports. And it wouldnt be complete without some IH Red.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is awesome. I have to show it to my son. I built a toddler bed for him years ago that was a half scale Scout 80 in profile and a little narrower than that in width. It’s been passed around to a few kids now and kids love it; especially when they are familiar with the real version. Showing him a running and working version like you are building will probably earn me another project.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over the next couple weeks I had more fun driving this thing with a hand throttle and no brakes then my actual scout (it was broke). But i managed to beat the hell out of the tranny and it started to get some slop so we searched around and came across the holy grail of lawn tractor trannys.

A Peerless/Tecumseh 5 Speed with a Reverse and a output mounted disc brake.

With the new tranny installed I rode it around for another few weeks. It was too much to ride, to hell with working on it :)

OOO....and i found out that in 1st gear it does wheelies...we might gear it up, but then again we might not. Top speed right now is 15mph. :eek:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gramps decided to get creative and made a shifter with a reverse lockout.

We also fabbed up some pedals in the shape of my feet. (we later scrapped these for something more simply and go-cart like

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a couple of pictures with the new pedals and the brake and throttle linkage. If you look close you can see the manual choke and the kill button of the steering column.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK now that most the mechanical is figured out we can finally get to the good part. The Body. Now before I get flamed for this, We thought about making the body out of metal but then decided on wood because of our resources and because wood is pretty forgiving and allows us to get some bulk but be able to keep it light weight.

So heres the "skeleton"

we started by making the top rail and then added the "door" uprights and the floor panels

Then came the windshield frame and grill frame

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After being motivated i was able to spend some time on the grill and came up with this.

I had to break out the pencil and draw up some quarter panels. First on paper then on cardboard and then onto wood.

o....and the tailgate managed to get done somewhere in the process

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks OC IH,

Post some pics of that bed on here.

These "little" projects seem to occupy my life until they are done. But I was always the only kid on the block with some sort of unique ride on object. (Mopeds, go-carts, pedal cars, motorized bikes)

After getting the body started we had to turn our attention to the lack of frame rails and bumpers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So now that you guys are pretty much caught up to where I'm at in the build, this will mostly be updates from here on out. With only a month to go, we have A LOT of work to do.

Saturday we were able to get the cowl bent and glued in place as well as the windshield mounted and started on the wind wings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's the complete exhaust system...the motor sounds great with a just a straight pipe but i wanna be able to sneak up on people

we used an assortment of edger handles and bicycle handlebars

1 - 20 of 71 Posts