Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Im rebuilding my truck I thought I would start a build thread like everyone else:flipoff2:. A little history since I don't have pics from the beginning. I bought the truck pretty much stock. 1985 x-tra cab, 22re. I kinda wish I hadn't chopped up a good truck but o well. It had a blown head gasket. Swapped in a 4.3 vortec,th350,dual toy cases. I started with 34ltb,35bjg,36tsl's,37 PBR, and the last tire before the tear down was 38sx's. Had all the usual goods, All-pro bed,All-pro front bumper,tg sliders, tg high steer,longs, ifs rear, rear disk, blah,blah,blah. Pretty much was out of things left to do.

Well now Im going tons, coilovers,39.5's, 203/205. I have a D60 and D70. Greatlakes mack daddy covers, king pin rebuild kits, chromos, all new brakes front and rear. The rear has 7.17's so im gone run those and see what happens. Im using Jeds Machine case adapter. Ill run Foa 14's all the way around. I have 16, 2.63 chromo joints from Ballistic, gonna run 2 1/4 aluminum lowers, 1 3/4 alum. uppers.

Critique as i go cause im open to option.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks nice so far. Where do you usually run this rig at? I am from up in Greer/Clemson, and would like to see it run sometime when done.
Well i built it when Tellico was going strong and we made regular trips up there. Since its closed Harlan is the new close favorite place. Went to Moab with buddies from Greenville and decided I wanted full width for sidehill stabiltiy. Ill make a few trips, kinda like pre-outwest trip to make sure things are good.
Having personally run 39s on tons I will tell you to go to 44s. especially if you have 7.17s!
UUUhhh,naaaa, 42's would be the max,this pinion has me worried and its not even together yet. Plus it will get a 5.3 in the near future.
nice....wha is the sixty outta -N is it narrowed?
The 60 was from a Chevy dualy. Thats why you see the srw hubs in the pic. It sucks rebuildling chit thats not been apart in 30 years. Its not narrowed im gonna run it full width cause the stability was what i was after when i went this direction.
Why get rid of the toy cases when you can just go with a 23 spline and a chromo output from Marlin or Longfield.
Strenght was never the issue, I want front digs. I mean i had a AA adapter at $550, Marlin adapter with 23 spline output, whats that like $700 or so? That was alot of money and knowing v8 is the future I just figured that the 203/205 would have front digs and be strong enough for any modern stock motor I wanted to run, plus it gets me to full chevy drivetrain instead of mixed toy stuff.

I like what you doing with the truck.
Thanks. I forgot to mention I have the flanges for my 205 to run toy u-joints. I feel they are stronger than the 1350 BS and I won't have to deal with those pot metal straps and tiny little bolts. Im gonna call inchworm this week and get 2 for my axles.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update of how the weekend went. Started friday mourning on the 203/205 combo, it wasnt to much trouble considering id never been inside anything other than a toy cas. Its in and the crossmember is built and its sitting in under its on weight. I used a Jeds Machine adater and I thought it went pretty smooth.

The rear is dual triangulated. The upper crossmember is in. All the tabs and brackets built. Rear axle trussed up. Ill post pics and link lengths tomorrow when the sun comes up. And a huge thanks to some good friends.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Just an update of how the weekend went. Started friday mourning on the 203/205 combo, it wasnt to much trouble considering id never been inside anything other than a toy cas. Its in and the crossmember is built and its sitting in under its on weight. I used a Jeds Machine adater and I thought it went pretty smooth.

The rear is dual triangulated. The upper crossmember is in. All the tabs and brackets built. Rear axle trussed up. Ill post pics and link lengths tomorrow when the sun comes up. And a huge thanks to some good friends.

Do you have any pics of the upper crossmember? I will be starting my 4 Link soon and have been searching for ideas.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know my thread is headed to the Fail catogory without pics but my camera crashed and my truck is on a deadline. So its camera or more parts. Im gonna borrow a friends and snap a few of the progress.

Got some 7.17's for the d60 on the way and also called jesse today and got some D60 to toy flanges on the way so i can stick with toy shafts and u-joints.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The rear axle is trussed up and completly welded and I got the flange to run the stock toy shaft from Jess at High Angle for some reason i cant post more pics.:mad3:dammit.

Got my links from Industrial Metal Sales in Michigan, 1 3/4 uppers 6061 and 2 inch 7075 lowers for $200 bucks shipped to SC, I had a local Machine shop tapper the lowers down to 1 3/4 and drill them out to be tapped. I found some 40 Goodyears Rock Spiders locally that were brand new never mounted. From what i can find out they are the early stickies that Goodyear made when the comp scene first got going. They have For Racing Use only written on the sidewall. I dont know how they are gonna do on the east coast but im gone see what happens. I only have a grand in all 4. I picked up some H2 wheels and plan on running Stauns.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts