Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this revamp sucks but i think i can post pics because of it so going to document my build of the last 10 years. Warning not all pictures are going to be high quility. I dont have hrs to devote to making this thread right away so it will probably take a couple weeks to get cought up with where it is now.
  • The starting rig for this build was a bare bones 86 Toyota pickup 2wd 22r 4speed that somoene wrecked and cobbled back together. I do not have any pictures of it back then but it wasnt pretty.
  • First mod was bobbing the bed as the tailgate wouldn't open because of somoene falling a tree on the side of it. So then cranked the torsion bars and made some 235s fit and mobbed it in its 2wd form.
  • Do to the previous owners wreck the frame was bent something fierce so after eating through front tires constantly decided to swap everything onto a 86 4wd frame.
  • Welded the rear,Pute some trail gear sliders on and built a rear bumper and beat on it with the ifs and 235s spent 2 summers running it on the rubicon that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after beating on it and daily driving it in that form for awhile i caught the passenger front tire on a bridge railing being a idiot and mangled the front suspension.
So without a whole lot of thinking the ifs got chopped out for a straight axle. Being young and stupid i did it as cheap as possible with some new and used parts. Turned out okay other than shock hoops where to short.
Somewhere along the lines i built a front bumper as well that saved the body when bouncing off the bridge and swapped in some 63 chevy springs.
Front springs where a 7 leaf pack of toyota rears and a set of shakles that are a inch over stock. 85 front axle with trail gear high steer and six shooter knuckles as the old ones had issues. And a set of 31 inch boggers because thats what i had.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • So ran it that way for a long time getting more body damage that i kept trying to straighten out with a hammer. Didnt have any major breakage that i can remember. It worked great and just kept chugging along.
  • Then another dumb moment where i didnt pute the cotter pin back in the drag link end that connects to knuckle.
  • Tie rod end nut came loose and fell off. Was having a issue unknown at the time with the spring touching the drag link wich i think caused it to work itself loose while wheeling and without the keeper just unspun itself.
  • Lucky it wasnt worse and glad i hit the tree as it was a long ways to the bottom. And glad i didnt hit or hurt someone because of my stupidity.
  • Duramax to the rescue and i have never forgotten a cotter pin since. Steering isnt something to skimp on at all. Lesson learned.
  • Body damage was mainly the door and door hinge area. Could see daylight through the bottom of door while driving, wich i could live with but it was the wiper arm assembly constantly falling off do to the cab being pushed in that prompted the search for a xtra cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i hunted for a extra cab for a couple of months and could not find one that i liked. It had to be straight and be a factory color i didn't want it rattle canned. Had a wanted add out and a guy a couple hrs away had a nice brownish one for to much money so i bought it anyways.

Somwhere along the lines while looking for a cab my brother in law rolled his rig that had a fresh daul case setup that i was able to pluck from him.

• Read a whole bunch about swapping the extra cab onto the single cab frame and went for it. Learned really quick that not everyone new what they where talking about.
  • I refused to run a body lift which didnt make it any easier.
  • Had to cut out behind passenger seat and raise floor to cleer gas tank
  • Cut the hell out of the horseshoe crossmember
  • I cut the sliders off as well since i didnt like how they where mounted
  • Ended up bobbing the front of bed just over 9 inches
  • Swapped in the daul cases while cab was off
  • Spent some time trying to match the factory paint on the bed left the tailgate white on purpose as a salute to the original truck.
  • Wish i had more pictures of the swap but never thought of taking any at the time. But i did get better at it the last couple of years.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after the cab swap i mainly just wheeled it. Built some sliders went from 33inch procomps to 36inch iroks. At this point the 22r was getting tired, no front locker, stock axle gears, think it was on its 3rd welded diff out back, front shocks where to long, and the rears to short. Started thinking about a revamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started buying a couple parts to fix what i didnt like. Got a pair of 14inch bilstiens for the front and a set off ruffstuff hoops. Had the trail gear ones but they where to short for 14s and to long for 12s without modifying them
  • Passenger side was no problem mounting hoop on top of frame.
  • Driver side took a little notching to clear steering shaft.
  • Redid the steering shaft with the first gen u joint instead of rag joint.
  • Hoops where reinforced. With 1/4 plate(not in these photos)
  • Front shocks didnt bottom out any more and had plenty of down travel, road much better and didnt constantly feel the bump stops.
  • Tires where pretty bald so started looking for another set of 36 iroks as they where my favorite that i had ran.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • Hunting for tires i came accross a set of worn 39inch iroks for cheap. This is where the snowball began. Obviously they where not going to fit.
  • The most obvious way was to sawzall the fenders but i dont like the hacked up look.
  • Decided to trim as little as possible on the fenders.
  • Started looking for what i needed to change to get these tires to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point i knew the axles would not survive with the bigger tires and i knew of a donor truck that i could get for a fair price that had a somewhat built axle set with a blown 22r and wasted body.
  • Somewhere along the line while visting a friend half a state away he mentioned a guy that had a whole yard of toyotas he was willing to sell cheap. So a 86 4runner with a 22re and a 90s 22re hack job with a rod through the block ended up being bought for 500$. Cost me some in fuel and a trailer tire to get them back home but was a great deal for a potential 22re swap.
  • Axles where set up with a spool rear zip locker front
  • 5.29s but rear ended up being chipped
  • 6 shooters
  • 27spline trail gear axles
  • Rock assault front housing
  • High steer for rock assault
  • A 8000pd smittybuilt winch
  • Heavy duty front driveline from adco to replace my square tube one
  • And a bunch of other parts that got parted out to make my money back
  • At this point i had 4 trucks to build into 1 and a game plan.
  • Funny how buying a set of worn out iroks could prompt me into buying a bunch of piles of shit to try and build 1 polished turd.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to start on the rear end first as it seemed more straight forward.
  • Started with cleaning up the frame cutting the factory bump stops off and moving the bumper mounts back so the tire wouldnt touch it.
  • Not pictured was deleting the factory lspv and putting a adjustable one in mainly for shock clearance.
  • Cleaned up the new housing from the donor 84 and pute new perches on so i could scoot rear end back a inch and fix driveline angle.
  • Pulled 3rd to find chipped ring and pinion.
  • Sent 3rd to river city diff for new gears and new spool since i had the spool
  • Because i didnt want to trim the bed very much i decided to limit up travel with some donkey dick bump stops capped with factory 2wd toyota bumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  • Third member came back and got axle all assembled. Then came figuring out shocks. Ive seen them ran many different ways usaully angled in like this /\ after a bunch of research it seemed like you want them mounted as straight up as possible in a perfect world.
  • So ordered another pair of 14 inch bilstiens
  • Cleaned up my old trail gear shock hoops that i cut off the front.
  • Originally i wanted to mount them outside the frame to try and keep the bed space free but without modifying the frame it wasnt gonna happen.
  • Looking over alot of other builds it seemed like alot of bed space was lost when mounting them through the bed.
  • Though my beds only 4 1/2ft long i still use it for hauling shit so i didnt want giant holes for crap to fall out of and i wanted the hoops as close to fenderwells as possible.
  • So hole sawed some holes, cut hoops to length double checked it and burned it all in.
  • Had somoene cut me new hoop shock mount tabs out of 1/4 since no one makes a 4 inch tab that i could find.
  • Worried i will dent the shocks bodies at some point throwing something in bed
  • Cant take the bed off without some cutting now but i can live with that.
  • Ran the diff vent hose to the now unused brake line from lspv delete and up under the hood to help avoid milkshakes
  • So that wrapped up the rear other than some trimming of bumper and rear quarter.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the rear end wrapped up it was time to start on the front end. The 39s got into the bumper bad and the sliders/firewall. After looking at tubbing the fenderwells in other threads the common theme seemed to be to take as little as possible for tires to fit.
I could see bigger tires somewhere down the road and it just made more sence to get it all trimmed now instead of doing more later.
So figured out the max i could take without messing with body mount,door hinge and minimal trimming of fuse block. Sliders would have to be shortened as well wich was a simple cut snd sleeve with a plate in between the 2 cuts.
Instead of using sheet metal used 1/8th plate since i had it and would make welding way easier. Really wasnt to hard and took about 8hrs per side from stripping it down,cutting,shaping,welding to paint and back together.
Bumper was a simple cut and box the end back in. There was no way around trimming the fenders for tire clearance on the door side. Eventaully i would like to do some sectioning on a couple spare fenders to pute the factory lip back in but doubt ill ever get to it.
Lost some foot space but because the new plate sits flat inside the cab i find myself resting my foot on it like the factory foot peg in the sr5s so it really made no difference in comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point tires cleared all around and rear end was done. But axle gears where mismatched so no wheeling just a pavement pounder. Truck drove better than i thought it would but was still a gutless turd.
  • So gameplan was to start on front end at shop while still putting the truck around since it would take awhile because of cash restraints
  • So started with dissasembling and seeing what i had to work with.
  • Everything seemed to be in good shape just really dirty so started cleaning and ordering what i could when i could
  • While axle build was going on the 22r started giving me fits.
  • Didnt want to start after a long drive or a hard hill pull.
  • Started loosing water into the #3 cylinder
  • Decided to start messing with the 4runner to see if it would make a good canidate for a motor swap

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had zero history of the 4runner other than it had sat in the desert the last 10yrs. Rats had made it a home so i tried to stay out of the inside and just focus on the motor. A couple wires had been nibbled on so spent the day fixing everything i could find.

The next day i finally buttoned up everything i could find wrong and got to turn the key. All lights worked but wouldnt turn over. Had to be a frozen starter. Spent the rest of day going through everything from starter to grounds to chasing wires looking for another chew mark and still couldnt get it to crank. Left for home beyond frustrated.

About halfway home it occurred to me that unlike my truck it probly had a safety cancel switch. Spent all day just leaning in to turn key as i didnt want to sit in the nasty seat. Went back down next day pushed clutch in and it fired right up. Idled and reved fine. Little bit of timing chain noise but simple enough.

Went to see if it drove but wouldnt go into gear. Checked slave. Wich was good so suspected a bad clutch. Got it into gear putted it around everything worked so i had my 22re swap. Just had to get started. Pulled the rig into bay and removed the 22r and all the wiring.

Went through both heater core systems and built the best one i could as my heater never worked well. Added all the A/C stuff from the 4runner as well just incase i ever wanted it.

The swap seemed pretty straightforward but swapping everything from a 4runner into a truck makes it a little more difficult. The engine and dash harness where plug and play besides drilling a few holes. The rear harness for tail lights and co2 sensor and gas tank was a little more complex.

• Since the 4runner had about 15 things i wouldnt be using like dome lights window regulator and other useless stuff i went through the harness and took out eveything not needed. The runner was the wierd 88 style that had a bunch of extra crap like the o2 in front of cat and 2nd hose on air filter box ect.
  • One of the biggest buttfucks was the gas tank
  • The 4runner tank wouldnt fit so had to source one
  • Took awhile but finally found one.Drove a long ways and paid to much but got it.
  • Got it home and was complete garbage on the inside. Got 1 usable part wich was the pickup tube.
  • So found another one but just a bare tank.
  • Bastered together the 4runner and rust tank sending unit and pump and got it all working.
  • Definitely would've been easier to start with a truck donor
  • At this point it was all wired just needed to do the timing chain and stab the motor in
  • Clutch was toast so thats why it was parked wich was a good thing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
nice :smokin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that the wiring was done it was time to tear into the motor. Water pump bolt broke then the easy out then it just turned into dog shit. So ordered a new timing chain cover,chain, metal guides, clutch gaskets blah blah. Basically just wanted to freshen up the outside.

First lesson i shouldn't have ordered a bunch of no name parts off of amazon. First problem the guides wouldnt fit. Bolt holes where about 1/4 inch to far apart. Instead of hogging out the holes a quick trip to napa for some cheapo plastic ones was the fix.

Got the chain all set up then test fit the the cover. Wasnt going to fit. Needed about a 1/4 off the top. A quick trip to the machine shop wouldve been the correct fix but i had a grinder and no more patience so shaved it down.

Next awsome problem was it was warped something fierce. Instead of buying a new cover decided it would straighten out when the bolts where tight. Of course it always leaked once truck was running. Rest of motor refresh went well and in the truck it went.

Also decided to use the 4runner transmission sice i had them both out anyways and it would move my shifter back. Old trans shifter was into the dash. Also had alot less miles.

While it was all apart took some time to straighten the front clip, trim the body around the steering box, pute a new grill and some better turn signals on. So got the motor in and all hooked up and then on to the no start problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After what seemed like forever was finally time to fire it up. It would pop but that was about it. Spent a week looking for why it wouldnt start. Went through grounds, all connections, fuel, spark just couldnt pin it down. Buddy ran a shop right up the road so took it to him to figure it out. He figured it out in 5min.

Somewhere in the swap i lost the body to battery ground from the 4runner and just kept over looking it. So finally got to drive it back to my shop. Buttoned a couple things up and headed for home a half hr up the hill.

Ran so much better than the old 22r. Just starting up the first large grade something went bang and lost 50% power. Got it off the highway and started looking things over and theres some oil leaking. Fearing internal motor damage decided to limp it back to shop. Parked it and went home to think it over.

Still thinking motor, fired it up and could here a slight rattle in the exhaust. Tapped on cat and sounded really bad. Sawed cat off to see what was in there thinking i was going to find a chunk of the engine. Cat had exploded.
New cat and it was up and running great again. Oil leak was from timing cover. Smeared a bunch of silicone on it snd called it good. Finally started on front axle again.

Got the 3rd member in. Took some persuasion with a hammer as the diff studs dont line up well on this rock assault. Repacked the birfs got the 6 shooters all setup and new seals bearings blah blah. So goodies in front axle consisted of a high pinion 3rd with 5.29s and zip locker, 27 spline trail gear axles, 6 shooter knuckles, the 1/4 rock rings and rubber wipers. Nothing fancy just enough to survive.

Redid the shock tabs, swapped in the new tie rods, new spring bushings, center pins, u bolts, steering stabilizer and finally got the front end swung into place. Back to 4wd again just in time for winter.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts