Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stand it any more, I had to get another Samurai. With the gas prices going through the roof, and my desire to have a fun and simple street legal 4x4, what other choices are there? :D

After looking for a while at the local ads I wasn't impressed by what I saw for the money, but I did stumble across a great little deal, and picked up this little gem for $750 last week. It's a 1990 with EFI and rather low miles. Your typical RV flat towed Samurai. Sweet! The reason the price was so low is that it suffered from the dreaded intermittent ECU problem so common in early EFI vehicles from Suzuki. More on that later.

For now, here is a picture. I need to run off to the DMV to process the paperwork as she just passed California SMOG with flying colors.

I'll be taking her out wheeling this weekend in 100% stock form. Woohoo!! Should be a blast.

More to come...

-Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good to see you back. That is a smokin' deal for $750! Pristine condition. Now it's time to cut it up:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
I am close to picking up one in about the same condition, but I think a year or 2 older, my brother says it's carbed. I need a commuter because I am loosing my cavalier to my g/f's br in law that drives farther than I do.
are you going to do all the simple things and keep the sammi axles? which is the way I am leaning, maybe soa, with sotck shackles and 31" tires. a t-case gear reduction, and maybe gears, a couple lockers and birf rings.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Go run her this weekend, but before you do that, wax her for me so she look sexy!:smokin:

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Wayne.......you Cali guys make me sick:flipoff2:

Great deal. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Damn, thats what mine looked like when I got it for $700, except mine ran on 3 cylinders. So, when are we cutting it up? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets cut to the chase.. You all want some tech, so lets get to it. And i know you all like pictures, so lets do it picture intensive!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the most important mod you can make to a Samurai, and the first one everyone should install is...

The BELL cup holder. Notice I got the special color matched version.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I mounted it with a screw into the trans tunnel, but lets not mess with our resale value here!! I'm going to go with a new space age product that shows great promise. Not only will it not require gapping holes in the rare Japanese sheet metal, but it will also make for easier clean up. After all, who wants to use a dirty cup holder? :barf:

VELCRO!! I think it has a future.. I'm going to go buy some stock in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heck, I even tested it out this morning on the way to work... Normally I'd test it out with a cheaper beverage, but my confidence was high! I'm pleased to report it help onto my Danon Yogurt Smoothie like the pro it is!

That completes the first major upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Go run her this weekend, but before you do that, wax her for me so she look sexy!:smokin:
Actually, before I took the picture I used a clay bar, then buffed her out with a cleaner wax. I do this to most new-to-me cars. They may never see such love again though.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just in case any of you mugs was wondering, yeah I have the tunes covered already. Just look at the beauty in the attached image. That is a Suzuki by Pioneer head unit!! Let me tell you a little about this monster of head units. This sucker actually has auto-reverse built right in it. That means it reverses automatically! Does yours do that? I checked my Fancy Sony headunit in my other car, and didn't see any reference to this feature in the MP3 player. This sucker is cutting edge!! I wont even get into the quartz PLL digital synthesized tuner or the crazy "loud" button. Heck, this thing even has "mono" and other stuff. I'm afraid to touch that mono button.. I think I know what it does, and I don't want to visit the doctor.

My favorite feature of the toons is that it only plays through the driver's side front speaker. I'm pretty sure this is a safety feature to allow the driver to be more aware of his situational awareness. Very high tech! You usually only see this safety feature on cars like the Ford Topaz or the Dodge Dart.

-Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So since my extreme lift of nothing leaves the ground clearance a little on the crazy side I decided I better work on that next and added a skid plate to keep my pretty exhaust out of harms way. So a Petroworks skid plate was slipped into place.

Yes, that is an incredible 8" of ground clearance at the belly. Now we're talking! :bert:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent the rest of the night rewiring some of the super cool Bob Villa inspired wiring a previous owner installed. I wish I could wire like him, but since I can't I decided to replace his handy work with mine so it will not stand out and make mine look so bad. Check out this guys great work:

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wayne,

Glad to see you're back in the mix. There's just a lot of satisfaction in improving a new rig...even the little stuff. I've been busy with a '67 1/2 Datsun 2000 Roadster... Some previous owner had used wire nuts :eek: on the engine wiring harness too! What the hell?

Cap'n Ron. . .

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
glad to see you back in a sammy.

funny you mention this as I recently have been wheeling my red '88 stocker sammy the last few offroading trips and I have to say "back to basics" and believe it or not I'm actually having more fun with it as it's really a challenge to get up the rough stuff on 28's or 29 tires.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wayne,

Glad to see you're back in the mix. There's just a lot of satisfaction in improving a new rig...even the little stuff. I've been busy with a '67 1/2 Datsun 2000 Roadster... Some previous owner had used wire nuts :eek: on the engine wiring harness too! What the hell?

Cap'n Ron. . .
Hey Ron,

I hope you don't mind, but I snitched a couple of parts off your rig while I was over at Petroworks. Don't worry, you wont even notice them missing. :flipoff2:

So when we going to have a 'Little Wheels' event in So Cal? How does Big Bear in June sound? Lets hear from you all. I'm itching to hit some of the "street legal" trails I haven't been able to drive.

Off to go install the CB, GPS, and other little things. Off to the desert tomorrow.

-Wayne

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You sir are a character!
:D
Sell that piece of crap so you buy a jeep and spend all your time and money on it like I do! hahahaha Maybe your could come over and make me some cup holders for my pile.

P.S.
When you are ready I have a 2.0 liter, 4 speed OD trans and clocked t-case for you.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It is NOT complete until you paint it purple and put a few gopher stickers on it. :flipoff2: Yes I am still alive. I've been busy with work and just started working in the Sami after almost 2 years.

Woo Hoo Wayne in a Sami again......as soon as I win the lottery I will head to Cali and go hit some rocks with you guys.

Take care people. See ya in a few.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts