Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a 4Runner for 500 bucks in Reno. A Few Buddies and I left on a Tuesday evening drove to Reno Loaded the Rig up and were back in time for class on Wednesday.

Being a total newbie I soon learned that I was in for it. I am a computer major who only a year ago changed his oil for the first time. I did live with a mechanical engineering major who is very willing to answer all my questions.

We took my rig out wheeling in May bone stock. I took off the stock tires and replaced them with a set of thirty-two's i got for 20 bucks.

Needless to say i got stuck a lot. I learn a lot and had a ton of fun. I got to drive out on alot of trails and drift corners. I hit a stump after going around one corner a bit to fast. Ultimately the day ended when I went through A Muddy area off to the side of a lake. My windshield got covered with Mud and this happened.

I hit another stump. I jumped off a stump getting 3 tires off the ground and bending up one of my rims. Check out the tread on those $20 thirty-two's.

I learned quickly that having the rear locked would have helped a lot, maybe not with my driving, but would allow me to go a lot more places. With the Help of my friend, We welded up the rear.

After that I went home for the Summer. I left my 4Runner in Klamabama and spent the whole summer reading up on pirate at least 3 hours a day (Thank you desk job), and buying parts off craigslist.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Build Up Begins.

After getting some more tools and a some parts over the summer I was ready to build. My roommate and I, stocked our new garage with most of the tools necessary to get our builds done. I have never done anything like this before, and he has been great at helping me out.

Over the summer I picked up
-Set of 2WD rears for up front
-63" Chevies
-Power Steering Box
-38" TSL for a spare
-IFS Rotors and Calipers with IFS lockouts

I purchased
-TG Hysteer
-TG Ubolt Flips
-Large Flexx Joints from Poly
-Sky boomerang Shackles
-Bunch of Odds and Ends from TG

The plan is to run rears up front, Chevies in the rear, TG hysteer, LC Rotors with IFS calipers and lockouts. I am planning to run 38" TSLs. The goal is for 3 to 4 inches of lift. I am just going to cut the rest to fit.

First thing we did is get this.

And got started.

Pulled everything off and started to clean shit off.

Teaser.

Here are some welds with the TG Knuckle Gussets.

We got the Hysteer on. The Knuckles are serviced, and all I am waiting for is my LC Rotors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my front Hanger. My Roommate Tommy helped me out with all the welds and basically the design.

The bulk of it is 2x3, 1/4 inch rectangular tube and the plates are 1/4 inch. All in all I think it looks sick. I is not fully finished yet, I plan to round out most of the edges.

I also got my front and rear packs all setup and on my axle.

I am still waiting on my boomerang Shackles, and need to mount my Power Steering box. I also figured out that my Alternator is out and I will need to replace it. But hey its a learning process and I am having fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I need to fix my rear axles because both the bleeder valves were sheered off. I had a donor axle and i am thinking of just switching the shafts. I eventually just want to put discs in the rear, but time and money...

Plans for the next couple days are to put the axles under it, which will involve mount PS box, Finish the front hanger, and building mounts and shackles for the rear.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Jumping...high speeds...drifting corners...sounds like you need LT IFS, not SAS. :laughing:

Sounds like you are planning to do about what I did. I am running 4-5" of lift (6 leaf rears up front, f-150's rear) with 38's on mine and I trimmed the fenders about 4". :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Liking the 4runner. LOL about the IFS i bought an 85. I totally should do an IFS Swap. know of any kits? Sky?, TG? lol.

Crazy house party this weekend did not get much done. Our Puke carpet got a workout.

Got the front axle under it. The LC rotors and the V6 ifs calipers look sick. I had to drill out the ears to 9/16 and used some grade 8 9/16 2" hardware.

No pics tonight its too late. I am kind of worried about my spring pack and am already debating removing one to lower it a bit. I am going to put together the rear and see how level I am. I dont want this thing looking like a Pre runner or a hot rod.

The list of things to do is getting smaller. I still need to find some 38x12.5x15 TSLs.

Sounds good. hope to have pics later. Need to get shock hoops in and Steering box mounted up.

out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update

So instead of working on my truck I cleaned my garage. This was not out choice our landlord called us and notified us that our little party got a noise complaint and we had 24 hours before a site inspection. The cops coming probably did not help. Hopefully we pass and I don't get told that I cant work on vehicles in the garage. I am trying to pass the build up off as a "Senior Project".

So best case is we swallow the 125 fine and get a slap on the wrist, and my garage is clean.

So Clean garage...

The front axle is on and it is on 32's. Lifted 4runner on 32's how unique. lol.

Sky Boomerangs look really cool imho.

Finally got all the brakes together. The rotors are filthy. need to buy some break clean.

I think the lift may be a bit to much. I may have to remove the lift.

All I got to do i put my rear axle apart and fix the drums so I have brakes again. The clean garage should speed things up.

Hopefully I have more time this week to finish it up. I really want to drive around lifted on 32's while a raise money to buy my 38's.

Things are coming together.

·
Registered
167 Posts
man, ifs is the way to go:shaking:, couldnt you tell by ALL of the builds on this board where guys are doing them, they dont use dana 60's or do sas... lol:shaking:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts