Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the good words guys

Tires clear the frame! Or frame clears the tires? Haha this is at full droop on the DS, full compression on PS, and steering at lock to the DS. New wheels will put the tire a little further out so clearance will only get better.

1/4" plate used to patch in the frame and I also plated the inside of the frame rail with 1/4" so it'll be plenty strong. I might plate over the top too... But here's where we are now

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
If anything you may end up regretting the incredible overkill when you see the final weight. For 99% of what comes from the factory, 1/8" or 3/16" should be more than enough strength. Edit to add, I mean plating 1/4" wall rectangular tube with 1/4" plate, for example.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If anything you may end up regretting the incredible overkill when you see the final weight. For 99% of what comes from the factory, 1/8" or 3/16" should be more than enough strength. Edit to add, I mean plating 1/4" wall rectangular tube with 1/4" plate, for example.
I think you might be misunderstanding where and how much material I've added. The videos on the YouTube channel ("WebWheeler" for those interested haha) do a better job of explaining what and why I'm doing things.

As far as weight in material from frame plating and the new frame rail, etc. I've only gained 70lbs at most in the entire front end.

I agree that the DS 4x3x.25" frame rail is a little overkill, although I've seen plenty of people tear/crack frames at the track bar and steering box mounts so I'd much rather err on the side of caution there. Also the only places that .25" wall is plated is the fish plates covering the butt welds which is also necessary to prevent frame cracks.

The PS frame rail is stock and only plated on the outside face with 3/16" where the coilover hoops mount.

Where I clearanced for the tire, I plated the stock frame on the inside (the face that I didn't cut in to) from the front of the frame rail to just past where I did the clearancing (green line in pic shows the added plate)

And then I patched in the cut area with a few small pieces of 1/4".

Like I said, overall sprung weight gain is at most 70lbs. Now that super duty 60 compared to the IFS axle I took out is a different story lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Any engine mods planned, to motorvate all that extra weight?
Not right now- first phase is just one tons. My hands are a little tied with the CA smog but I will figure out how to have some fun with it at some point haha

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Fenders are on! Plenty of room once I got those big inner fenders out of the way now time to make room for tires!

In other news, I had a goal to have 2,020 subscribers to my "WebWheeler" YouTube channel by 2020 and I'm almost there!

Check it out at www.YouTube.com/c/webwheeler It covers this build and other 4x4 related how to's, info, tools, reviews, etc. and it's 100% independent. Go check it out and subscribe- I'm working hard to make it worth watching

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Fenders are cut. Now time to rebuild the inner fenders and mount all those accessories again

I also need to redo my bump stop mounts but after that she can get back on her own weight! Coming along.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
On her own weight again!

I was planning to add a little more lift but after seeing the stance, I'm keeping it where it is

41 - 54 of 54 Posts