Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its time for a build thread.
What do you get when you cross a 92 Dodge W250 and a 99 Tahoe? One (hopefully) capable rig. To start off I'm kind of a newb to offroading. Went from drag racing with my dad to four wheelers, 400ex then Outlander 650.

Then I got my first 4wd after I wrecked my 02 Chevy. It was(is) a 1999 4dr Tahoe that a local shop had put a 10" lift on, 8 lug front/14 bolt sf rear. I fixed the actuator in the front diff. Then I broke the front drive shaft so I bought a new one. Then as luck would have it the auto trac t-case crapper out. So I bought a np241 to put in and had to buy another new front shaft b/c the one I had recently bought did not fit anymore. Then the shift fork in the 241 went so I replaced that. THEN I got bored with it. So now a D60 SFA and a 12v Cummins will make its new home in my Tahoe.

I will post up some more pics/info when I get home from work.

Wrecked truck :(

The outlander aka "moneypit"

First shots of new tahoe :D

New 38" tsl's

The donor truck

Currently

·
Registered
855 Posts
After the SAS, how much lift are you planning on, and what size tires? You should lower it at least 4 inches.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 38-13/16 now. I will run at least that maybe some 39.5's maybe a lil wider also. I may lower it some. I wouldn't mind cutting the fenders but the rear fender cut out is part of the rear doors, don't know how I'd do it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some before Pics

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old motor and trans out.

Off with the front clip.

Out with the ole IFS

This should go in the ghetto fab thread. Built it to move the truck in and out of the shop until I was farther along.

Cleaning up the framerails a bit.

Now for the donor.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
making some plates to attach to the frame to strengthen the x-member

Used the factory Dodge x-member cut down about 1" per side

Not exactly in order but some more frame mods. I had to trim where the idler arm went to have room for the ac compressor. YES I plan to have a/c, it's hot in Texas.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And this...

was the first use of this...

More...

My leaf spring hangers and shackles courtesy of Sky Mfg

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then some cleaning, painting, and anything else easier with the engine out of the frame...

Pushrod cover gasket

Front crank seal

Test fitting

Trans x-member

Love me some ground clearance

That's all for tonight more tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i never enjoyed how much the spring hangers on the sky cross members drop down, it looks like theyll fold. but if/when you drop the truck down a couple inches or whatever youre planning it will be easy to0 just redrill the hangers up a few inches and chop off the excess.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
That tahoe with 10" IFS lift was :barf:

I like where this is going now, though :grinpimp:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i never enjoyed how much the spring hangers on the sky cross members drop down, it looks like theyll fold. but if/when you drop the truck down a couple inches or whatever youre planning it will be easy to0 just redrill the hangers up a few inches and chop off the excess.
What I was thinking when i bought the sky kit is it would allow me to run a flatter spring. I only have 4" leaves in the front, if I wanted to go lower i would prob. go 2" or stock height springs. For support though I'm going to weld in a piece of tubing. On Sky's website they show it in the pic but it does not come that way.

On the rear I think I want to do a shackle flip so I can run some flatter springs in the rear also. I want to get this thing drivable first though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Now for the fuel system, pretty simple here. A couple walbro pickups some stainless tubing/fittings, a piece of 1/8 stainless sheet and some submersible fuel hose. My dilemma was how to cut out a perfect circle out of the stainless.(This was before my dad and I bought the little plasma machine) So my searches came up with a place locally that does all kinds of metal stamping and they also have a waterjet machine.

While they had the piece of stainless in the machine I had them do some other stuff too.

So that's what I used to go in place of the stock in tank pump. Here's the rest of the setup.

Then some 3/8 tubing to the front utilizing most of the factory clip things to hold it in place. I do still need to run the return line though that won't be that bad.

Fuel level sender

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Looking good bro. I had been following ur build on cummins forum but hadnt checked it lately. Those 4" springs should ride well under that cummins.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I thought I'd start a build thread here, figured I might get more feedback

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Modded the t-case shift rail. Thanks to kitimatdude for the writeup, very useful. Everywhere I read these things had freeze plugs to knock in, mine had a rubber plug there.

Had to take off the front housing/bearing retainer to get the rail out.

I still need to make some shifters. I think i will get a couple of auto trans shifter cables and build my own cable shift setup.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
D61 came with the 3 speed 727 auto. The '92 model donor truck would have had the overdrive auto and a D60.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
D61 came with the 3 speed 727 auto. The '92 model donor truck would have had the overdrive auto and a D60.
I sure hope so I had just assumed that it was a 60. I mean it doesn't mater much, it's not like I bought just the diff assuming it was a 60, I bought a whole truck for the motor/tranny/tcase. Jus glad I didn't buy a bunch of parts that were for the wrong diff

1 - 20 of 49 Posts