Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: White Knight

66K views 276 replies 48 participants last post by  WeeMan006 
#1 · (Edited)
NOW DUBBED "THE SAD PANDA"

well i guess i should post up my build now that i have broke down and bought a red star!:flipoff2: I picked this baby up for 900 bucks and DROVE it to the shop. its an 86 4runner with all the bells and whistles, electric windows, rear heater, and that cool gauge cluster on the dash. all in all i basically stole this truck :flipoff2:.

plans:
Dual cases 4.7 in rear case..............................................................(DONE)
marlin 1200 clutch..........................................................................(INSTALLED)
marlin 4in front springs.....................................................................(Installed)
14x42 15 IROKs..............................................................................(bought)
10 bolt front..................................................................................(gone)
Dana 60 rear..................................................................................(gone)
Dana 60 front.................................................................................(DONE)
Rebuilt 22re ..................................................................................(DONE)
LC engineering smog legal header.......................................................(Still on hold)
RV cam ........................................................................................(INSTALLED)
spray on bedliner for carpet
interior roll cage
rock sliders
front and rear custom bumpers
warn 8274 w/winch line ...................................................................(have winch)
york OBA.......................................................................................(INSTALLED)
Beadlocks......................................................................................(Done)
GM 100amp alternator .....................................................................(Done)
rock lights
6.17s............................................................................................(Done)
some more custom stuff i cant remember...

just so the budget thing doesnt come up, my budget is simply time and if i can afford it. i wont set a limit because that is just foolish. it never works out that way, remember bigger better more:flipoff2:

tell me what you think, all suggestions are welcome!

See less See more
#6 ·
sweet looks like it's gonna be a cool build, but it appears someone already jacked your thread and project title

The real white knight is one sick rig

http://http://whiteknight.ca/

but it aint a toyota

#8 ·
i have most of the motor put together now. the pullies and pully brackets are still have wet paint on them so i couldnt put them on. but here is where i am right now.

i searched pirate for someone with a buildup name of white knight and didnt find any so i dont feel that bad:flipoff2:

#9 ·
#15 ·
alrighty thats good enough for me:flipoff2:.

i have run into a small problem with my front axle... i have the stuff for the 8 lug conversion, only problem is that without smaller disc's i cant run 15s:shaking:. anyone know of smaller 8 lug discs or have turned down rotors before?

#19 ·
I put the pulleys back on today except for the idler because the bearing is bad. i also put the rear main seal retainer on and goo'ed the oil pan on with right stuff.

i have also got the 4.7 gears in my rear case and the case adapter butted up to it. the front case is getting drained overnight and will probably get pulled apart within the next couple days.

tomorrow i am going to swap some parts of the 2 York pumps i have to make one working one. the taper on the clutch of the unpainted one was cracked so i am going to slam the whole clutch assembly off the newer one on it. i have to use the unpainted one because i have to mount it sideways and it has the inlet on the right side for that.

#20 ·
I put the pulleys back on today except for the idler because the bearing is bad.

I had the same thing happen got to looking fro a new one at the regular places. I/E Autozone Advance and O'Relly's. I also went to Toyota to see if I could get the bearing, No go they wanted to sell me the whole Idler for something like $135. At that time I said to hell with power steering. I passed a Napa on my way home from Toyota just to see and they had the bearing. They did so you can check there, I just don't remember the part#.

#22 ·
haha... white pony:flipoff2: the 10 bolt will be fine with chromo shafts and cmt's. i ran 37 iroks on stock birfs and a lockrite and never broke even a shaft. this truck will be run in deep snow for half the year so i have to conserve weight as much as i can. a friend of mine wants to trade my 14bolt for his d60 because he wants the strength:confused: but whatever.:flipoff2:.

i managed to get one of my york pumps working today. that thing can push some air. i cant wait till its bolted up and working:D

#23 ·
14 bolt is stronger, that is why, du:flipoff2:

ever seen a 35spline tripple bearing 14bolt break?
I'm sure it's happend, but not often enough for me to remember hearing about it:smokin:

yes I have a 14bolt, 2nd choice is a D70U

#28 ·
hey ***. . .

just, cut the backing plate down on the brakes, and grind the calipers some. i run (ran) a 8 lug 44 with 15" wheels with 3.75" back spacing, and it works great. just takes some work with the grinder to get everything to clear. or just run some 2" BS wheels and everything will clear.

too bad i didnt know you were looking for a D44, i have one cut in half in the garage right now getting made into a drivers drop chevy D44.

get this fucker ready for snow. . . .hope its a better winter this year.

Callen

#34 · (Edited)
:shaking:damnit, i thought you were troy. . . . oh well, my apologies for calling you a ***, *slaps self on wrist*. . . .. i shoulda known better though, troy will never get his shit going:grinpimp:.

have i ever met you? ECV? or did i just call a complete stanger a :rainbow:? stupid me hahah.

Callen

#35 · (Edited)
haha! well im not sure if we have met. probably not ecv (only 19) but could have during one of those nights in the meadow or somewhere in the highlakes. but if not... then yea you did just call a complete stranger a :rainbow::laughing: but its cool:flipoff2:

it says in ur sig that you do custom bedliners. what do u think about doing the entire floor of a 4runner? its got some kind of sound dampener that has become one with the truck and wont come off... can you spray over that crap if its really clean?

BTW does anyone want a 10bolt front and rear set:flipoff2:

#36 ·
The boggers don't hook for shait in the rocks, but I think it's a lack of contact pressure more than anything. They make the rig float and should work awesome in the snow, just from the size. The rig is a friends, but it got pretty well torn up at the rock cross and may be torn down for a new buggy.

#38 ·
hey thanks!:p same to you:flipoff2:

Well the only news i have is that i have mounted my alternator and have started on the OBA mount. I have so send the alternator out to get the 100amp stator put in sometime this week. i am going to try to get the motor and trans put in before i start in the suspension so i can accurately place the front and rear axles and get my pinion angle right. im also going to hold off on the LCE header for a while because i need to buy other things and the manifold will work fine for now.

btw please be patient with updates... i have midterms all this week and next so im going to be short on time thanks:flipoff2:

#39 ·
I definately wouldn't go 44 up front. If you have the cash to buy one and put chromo's in it with u-joints and all you might as well buy a 60 and be done with it. To make that 44 hold up your never gonna be able to throttle anything. In my opinion I would spend a LITTLE extra cash and go with a 60.

#40 ·
you will end up spending A LOT more money on a D60, but it will be worth it in the long run.

here are some prices on the 2 axles. . .from polyperformance. now i assume that a chromo D44 is a hair stronger than a stock D60 as far as axles go.

Stock D44 - 100
D44 ARB - 830
5.38 Gears - 195
Install Kit - 130
Superior Axles - 750
CTMs -450
High Steer Arms/Stud Kits/Knuckle and Machining - 400
Warn Lockouts - 150

Total for a Built D44 - 3005

Building a D60

Stock D60 - 800
ARB - 885
Gears - 225
Install Kit - 155
Superior Axles - 925
CTMs - 650
High Steer Arms - 300
Drive Flanges - 250

Total - 4190

but, with the D60 you wont break, and thats worth the extra grand as far as im concerened.

my D44 breaks every other time i go wheeling, and its becomming a hassel to get my warranty out of my shafts i break them so often. i now am pulling the D44 out and dropping in a D60, at least ill have somewhere to upgrade to when i break the stock D60.

Callen

#42 ·
if you get a 60 for way cheaper then its about the same in upgrades it looks like. from what you guys have said i thing im going to go with a 60 and not screw around cut corners that are going to bite me in the ass later on down the road:flipoff2:

#43 ·
If you're patient you can get a stock Chevy D60 for less than $800, but not too often. Some stuff you can find used...I've got a set of D60 hi-steer arms I'm selling for $150. ARB is up to the user, I'm sure Callen will be welding his again, so that's an $800 savings. It's tough when you're younger but the best bet would be to find a complete axle, already built and pick it up for a song.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.