Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well im starting on this idea now.. I have this old post rounding up ideas, but now the build starts. So im going to need some help on where and how to mount the 4 link rear.. if thats the best way to go.

Old post >> http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414439

Here is what im doing.

98 2 door Rav 4
14" Coil overs
JJ's all around
3 link front
4 link rear
36x13.5" Irok tires
Full hydro???
1uzfe V8 with a V6 5 speed and T-case.

Im going to start with the 4 link rear because i have most of the parts and it seems like a good place to start.

shaved housing

Now where to think about making the links mount up to?? Im going to lap areas of the unibody with 3/16" pate to make it strong enough to hold the links. So if you guys could help me figure this out:flipoff2: What do you think? I would like to keep the stock gas tank.

And after I do the rear 4 link I have to get this under the hood....

·
Registered
881 Posts
...Since it's unibody... If I were retarded too :flipoff2:, I'd probably build some type of sub-frame which would mount to all (or most of) the points that the current suspension and driveline mount to, and build my links from there.

...Or at the very least, tie into those mount points, in some way, since Toyota designed them to carry the weight of the vehicle...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ColdNorth said:
...Since it's unibody... If I were retarded too :flipoff2:, I'd probably build some type of sub-frame which would mount to all (or most of) the points that the current suspension and driveline mount to, and build my links from there.

...Or at the very least, tie into those mount points, in some way, since Toyota designed them to carry the weight of the vehicle...
Yeah I have though about that... but I think it might be easier to beef up what is there. I will run a hoop in to the wheel wells to mount the shocks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i'd say yank all that stock shit out to get started so you can actually see whats going on under there

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
I agree with the subrame idea - mounting it to the suspension mounts, etc - but what ever you do, I'm looking forward to this build! Especially if you can keep it a sleeper. :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pr0ject42 said:
Hey dood, you may want to go three link with a panhard in rear if you want to keep the stock gas tank.
Yeah i think your right, the tank is in a pretty bad spot... i did get enough JJ's for a 4 link:laughing:

The frame idea might be the best way to go, but there in not too much in the center to bolt to...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK... so i started to pull it apart today (was still DD'n the little bugger) Now looking at I think im going to make a 1.75" OD tube frame that ties into the unibody ond hang every thing off of it.... Im almost done my tube bender and my 1.75" 240* die is in the mail.

But I have a question.... at the front of a toyota truck (80-94) how wide is the frame (outside rail to outside rail)? Just thinking about tire rum and mounting a PS box... or will I have to run full hydro...

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
hmm, has a unibody crawler been done before?

·
Registered
881 Posts
eightyfive said:
hmm, has a unibody crawler been done before?
Ummmm... Pretty sure Cherokees are unibody. :flipoff2:

Still an awesome project; can't wait to see it in action.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Mr Davies????? (I think that's how you spell it?) I've been looking forward to this build for a while. You know me from motion performance.... it's Mark the announcer from the track. I'm building a yota too and when I found out you bought Chris's diffs I got excited to see your work on a 4x4. I can't wait to see the quality of your build. If you put half as much effort into this as you do sheldon's vega it will be a very impressive toy. My build will include 16" air shocks 3 link front and a 1-link rear. Oh and can't forget the 39.5x13.5 iroks. We'll have to go wheelin sometime. I'll get ahold of you through motion. Can't wait to see the progress through this build up.

P.s. Someone once refered to my truck as a wood tick lol. Maybe cause it has a wood box right now. But I thought you might get a kick outta that

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep thats me, although i did not have much to do with the Vega. I have the blue import that ran a 10.9 (takes forever to spool right now) and i work on most of the turbo 4 and 6 clys.

Do you have a build up thread yet?

Toyota_Force said:
Mr Davies????? (I think that's how you spell it?) I've been looking forward to this build for a while. You know me from motion performance.... it's Mark the announcer from the track. I'm building a yota too and when I found out you bought Chris's diffs I got excited to see your work on a 4x4. I can't wait to see the quality of your build. If you put half as much effort into this as you do sheldon's vega it will be a very impressive toy. My build will include 16" air shocks 3 link front and a 1-link rear. Oh and can't forget the 39.5x13.5 iroks. We'll have to go wheelin sometime. I'll get ahold of you through motion. Can't wait to see the progress through this build up.

P.s. Someone once refered to my truck as a wood tick lol. Maybe cause it has a wood box right now. But I thought you might get a kick outta that

·
Registered
736 Posts
No, No Build up thread yet I'm stocking parts for now and I will be starting my build come spring time. I haven't seen your new import but I do remember your old one. Well I will be keeping up on the project and fill you in with any comments I got lol. We'll have to get together and learn more about each other projects. ttyl

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeet

I might have to take a trip north to see some of this handy work. Thanks again and let me know if you need anything. I love seeing what everyone is working on

Mike Green -- Billyji

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
billyji said:
Sweeeeeeeeeeet

I might have to take a trip north to see some of this handy work. Thanks again and let me know if you need anything. I love seeing what everyone is working on

Mike Green -- Billyji
Thanks for the good price on the die.:D This will be the 1st project..

What do you guys think of this... 1.75" .120 wall DOM tube frame??
If i get rid of the unibody "frame" rails i can tuck it up a few inches.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts