Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
It's going to be a lot of work to get the pinions to fit. Should have a pretty long wheelbase; it's crazy wide, about 91 inches.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Had some time to travel up to the shop and snap a few photos:

Helped put together the front axle with its new housing while I was there. All the fenders are off and it'll be saw time soon. Just discovered today that the engine will need to be shifted about 4" to the passenger side so now I'm in the market for a new fan setup. The struts should be coming my way in a little over a month.

Moving the engine over is a different way of doing things. I was thinking of that after the fact but it was a little tight with the Atlas back there. Cant wait to see how that turns out. What is your WB that your going for?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Moving the engine over is a different way of doing things. I was thinking of that after the fact but it was a little tight with the Atlas back there. Cant wait to see how that turns out. What is your WB that your going for?
Even with pinion conversions it's just too long for me to want to do something else. The "fake" wheelbase mock-up for the front above is too much and it should be much closer to the frame, but compared to a stock TJ it'll be stretched some. The front will be a few inches and so will the back so my guess is between 100" and 110", probably closer to 110". Once we get the rear under for mock-ups some measurements can be made for links to see how everything will fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got the engine shifted over the maximum allowed of 2.5" before the transmission started getting too close to the body. Still not enough for the front driveshaft to really clear so I'll have to get something custom done there. Oh yeah, and the uptravel is too small based on how it rides now, so I'll probably end up having to get the front frame tubed out and a custom radiator put in so that I get what I want without it being sky high. It's gonna cost but I'd rather do it right and have it crawl well than to have it look like some monster truck which is what most of the 'mogged Jeeps look like.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice project..

If you could do it all over again, would you have mounted the axles first, then the engine and trans? I know they were already mounted but... Work with me.
I am in the planning process for my LJ build and plan to mount the engine and trans first, then the axles.
Since it is just 60's :flipoff2:, I can mount either first...

Thanks, Ricky

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What size hiems did you get?
1.25". Pretty much this:

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/125-alloy-steel-rod-end-set-1-lh-1-rh-15-tube-id-p-383.html

Nice project..

If you could do it all over again, would you have mounted the axles first, then the engine and trans? I know they were already mounted but... Work with me.
I am in the planning process for my LJ build and plan to mount the engine and trans first, then the axles.
Since it is just 60's :flipoff2:, I can mount either first...

Thanks, Ricky
With 60s you shouldn't have the problems I'm having since their driver drop is pretty standard and keeps you far away from the engine. If I was a badass and started with just a frame I definitely would do the axles first, but I'm working with the stock Jeep drivetrain. Your LJ stuff shouldn't have any fit issues and you can do the engine first.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
No problem. I was just curious. Toss up between the ballistic joints and some hiems. Awesome build by the way. Subscribed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Been buying a bunch of stuff lately. Ordered up a PSC 1600 series pump, larger pulley, all the related junk, and a new winch mount for the front:

The decision's been made to cut off the front of the frame and run it higher so that I can get more uptravel. The grille will be trimmed and I'll be putting in a custom radiator and fan.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Can you just run a multi-piece front shaft with a carrier bearing?
That's part of the plan. We got the engine shifted over about 2.5" before the transmission started getting close to the body. This pic shows the issue, although this was before the shift so it's not as severe now.

I'll be putting some custom exhaust in to send the headers out of the way but now the problem is the transmission. Like you said I'll probably go with a two-piece front shaft. It seems like that's what most 'mogged Jeeps end up running.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i need to update my thread so the many of us with mogged tjs can compare. i talked to one guy on another forum that shaved his bellhousing till he could touch the ring gear and ran a smaller dia. drive shaft.
i agree...... run the 2 piece shaft its what i plan on doing. plus you can angle the drive train a touch, alittle minor trimming and get really close to flat belly with just a motor lift.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i need to update my thread so the many of us with mogged tjs can compare. i talked to one guy on another forum that shaved his bellhousing till he could touch the ring gear and ran a smaller dia. drive shaft.
i agree...... run the 2 piece shaft its what i plan on doing. plus you can angle the drive train a touch, alittle minor trimming and get really close to flat belly with just a motor lift.

Ya I'll be running a two piece for the front.

21 - 40 of 145 Posts