Votes: 34 24.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a propane setup for my 350 powered Toy, but have a chance to do some trading for a Projection unit complete.

I was innitially stoked about the idea of propane, but to be honest, the more I look the more it looks like there are just not a lot of places to have it filled around here... especially weekends or odd hours.

I assume the Projection is one of the earlier 2d models...

Anyone have an opinion on which one to go with? I have to think either would be better than carbs... I HATE carbs :p

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
I have a Projection I *still* need to install, but it's simple and straight forward.

A few friends of mine run them. As long as you can get them dialed in for your engine, they work great.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'd suggest propane, fewer electronics (I HATE electronics!)

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I rode in MD's FJ40 with a propane setup at TDS. It had lots of power. It also appears to be very simple and reliable. It burns super clean, which is a big plus if you want your engine to last a long time.

I also like the fact that the engine could continue running even if it's upside down due to the tank being under pressure (with proper oiling system). Very handy if you flop alot.:D

Propane filling stations are popping up more and more now. I counted dozens of them on my drive back from TDS. Most gas stations have signs designating them as propane filling stations.

I would put my money into propane. I hope to put a 22R w/ propane in my Sammy later on down the road.

Just my opinion.

Hef

·
Registered
591 Posts
projection

from what ive seen the projection setups are unreliable.(might be tuned right one day and totaly off the next without evan touching it.) If your realy set on projection i might have one that you can get almost free just pm me.

Matt

·
Registered
986 Posts
if you can't get it filled up when you need to... what good is that:flipoff2: my $0.02:D

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
pitter said:
if you can't get it filled up when you need to... what good is that:flipoff2: my $0.02:D
Use 3 forklift tanks - 2 in the rig, 1 spare in the towrig. Plenty of gas so no worries. Propane is pretty cost effective too.

Hef

·
Registered
753 Posts
Re: projection

blt2rok said:
from what ive seen the projection setups are unreliable.(might be tuned right one day and totaly off the next without evan touching it.) If your realy set on projection i might have one that you can get almost free just pm me.

Matt

To me that says alot about the projection system.... a $700 plus system and the guy is willing to practicaly give it away.....

If you go propane why not run forklift bottles.... keep some extra ones around for the long weenend runs...
I think I have two brand new bottles in the garage if your interested.....
I was looking at running propane and gathered up some bottles when I had the chance... but now I'm running GM TBI setup and love it....

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
David, I think the guys out west are spoiled. It's tough to find propane filling stations here, and the local place gets $2.35 a gallon for propane!! :rolleyes:

I soooo want to run the cruzah off BBQ gas... but I'll keep holding out for a TBI setup until more filling stations open up.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Eskimo said:
I'll keep holding out for a TBI setup until more filling stations open up.

I guess Im spoiled as well as I live in a area that has heavy tourist traffic and alot of lp fillups. But why dont you just do what I do with the BBQ and have 2 or 3 bottles that you can keep filled up. I dont see the problem with throwing a extra tank in the tow rig

·
Registered
130 Posts
im researching the same thing right now for my cruiser. The best find so far is the gas station 2 minutes down the road will fill my tanks on the vehicle for 1.90 a gallon :D :D no questions asked. now my question is where is the CHEAPEST place to get tanks?

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
BIGBLOCKFJ40 said:
im researching the same thing right now for my cruiser. The best find so far is the gas station 2 minutes down the road will fill my tanks on the vehicle for 1.90 a gallon :D :D no questions asked. now my question is where is the CHEAPEST place to get tanks?
I would guess a heavy equipment dealer might have some used gear around, tanks included. You could also check with a place that sells gas to hospitals/welders/industrial apps, they might have something - or at least know where to find it.

This is a job for Mustard Dog!

Hef:D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
any1 here accually running the pro jection on there rig??? how do you like it??

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep 'em coming guys! I will get more info about the Projection kit I am considering tomorrow.

And yes, here in TN we just don't have the fill up locations like I wish we had, or I would be all for it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
i read on some forum about a dude that had a projection and disliked it but got the closed loop er open loop ack whatever and then loved it... im guessing it was a circiut that allowed him to run an O2 sensor so the projection could compensate for variations in the air supply..
if that makes anysense im sorry i tried to be as confusing as possible...
and i would really like some smelly gas for my 22r as well, but i worry about availability since i drive my rigs to the trail...
peace
Jw

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I like my propane setup,,,,, works flawlessly in any condition and at any angle. I also like the fact that there are no sensors, computer, wiring, fuel pump, or fuel spills(when it flops).

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Eskimo said:
David, I think the guys out west are spoiled. It's tough to find propane filling stations here, and the local place gets $2.35 a gallon for propane!! :rolleyes:

I soooo want to run the cruzah off BBQ gas... but I'll keep holding out for a TBI setup until more filling stations open up.

here in canada its $0.58 pre liter, and for a bbq tank its 12 bux i think. its more for bbq gas than car propane, to much:smokin: tonight so i can't do the math for you.:D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You dont need to loose the ability to run on pump fuel if you go propane. You can still run a stock carb and just run a fuel cut off then feed the LPG through the carb. At least you then have the fuel to get you to and from a trail if you are realy just looking for the offroad drivability of the LPG.

I have pics of my set up if anyone wants to see this.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts