Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you need the exhaust crosover in the intake on a propane v-8 like you do in a gas buner. I seem to remember IH blocked it off on ther propne engine for some resion :confused:

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
nope, i have nothing, starts right up and idles perfectly at 0 or 100 outside! jiMMy

·
Registered
625 Posts
since u are canadian propane will work till its in -40 celcus and if u go that cold u need a propane heater.. and engine block heater too since its friggin cold!!! ya will never get that tempature in new westminster!!!! my truck never had problem starting every morning at 530..

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
I know next to nothing about propane but I was just wondering, isn't CNG big in Canada? Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to running CNG over propane?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
ForestCam said:
I know next to nothing about propane but I was just wondering, isn't CNG big in Canada? Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to running CNG over propane?
Vapor pressure and calorific value are the two big drawbacks of CNG.

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
At least where I live, Propane is much more prevalent than CNG.

I've never had a problem with my rig in cold weather (about the coldest I've had it in is 10*F)

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
We have had problems with our forklift recently... Liquid settles to the bottom of the system and floods out the motor if you try and start it when it's cold. Usually starts doing that at about 25*F. We just pull the line off, push in the cap (or whatever the hell that spring loaded thing is inside the fitting) and drain everything out... crank the motor a few times, reconnect everything, and she fires right up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've been running propane in my tractor for a whole bunch of years and the only problem I've ever had in cold weather was starting her up in the morning when the temps were less than -10F. I'd set a bucket of coals from the wood stove under the evaporator for a few minutes and she'd start right up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The crossover passages are usually blocked off as propane does not require the heat that gasoline does to vaporize. propane will vaporize at a very low temp if not under pressure. The passage is blocked off to lower the air intake temperature and thus create more power.

I've only had mine not start once (it was -50 C!!) The propane heater does help, but if your vehicle is in good tune up then it will start no matter what the temp.

Use a hotter plug (one stage higher) and a 160 F thermostat.

Just my 0.02 with my experience.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

I guess I'll have to figue a way to plug it up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts