Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what you pay for propane?
I priced propane today and it is 1.19 per pound here. I priced Acetylene and is is 138.00 dollars a bottle for the full size bottle. Oxygen for a full size bottle is 47 dollars. Rent on the bottles for oxygen and acetylene it is another 125 dollars each per year.

The other thing i priced is the 6 inserts and screws that hold the headlight bezel on a jeep TJ. For the six with screws it is 87 dollars. Looks like I am going to figure a way to make my own.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts
Yes, you can use oxy/propane in a cutting torch. It doesn't burn as hot as acetylene, but it will work. One of the local junkyards has a 20lb BBQ propane tank on his torch rig.

Check the prices on buy v/s lease. IMO for a hobbyist, leasing tanks is a waste of money. I own my oxygen, acetylene, and C25 tanks and it's not that expensive. It's more upfront $$ but cheaper in the long run. I've never had any trouble swapping tanks.

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, you can buy the tanks from them and they have an excellent exchange program.

I have no idea why you are asking about headlight bezel screws, but you should be able to find some of the inserts at the hardware store or a good auto parts store for a hell of a lot cheaper than $87.

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
Propane also need dedicated tips so be sure to price those out as well

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Propane also need dedicated tips so be sure to price those out as well
My Craftsman torch set instructions said that one could use propane or acetylene interchangeably, I've been doing it for almost 40 years now with the same tips for acetylene as propane. I know an awful lot of folks who do the same (mainy farmers who don't listen to folks telling them not to do it!).

Do you have a cite to a manufacturer that says not to use the same tip for propane as acetylene? I've had MANY folks tell me it was wrong to use the same tips and regulators, etc but no one has been able to prove to me not to do it-especially as the retailer said it was OK.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Only thing I change is the tips. The "real" propane tips have more holes in 'em, and are usually 2 piece. Lots easier to clean out when you screw up and get the tip too cloase and it pops back,,,
Supposed to use different hose for propane, just seen hose recomendations, one hose is Acet. only, the other can run them both.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, you can buy the tanks from them and they have an excellent exchange program.
I finally got fed up with trying to make it to Airgas as they are only open 8-5 M-F and went to Tractor Supply to buy a new tank. A little more expensive there, but now I can go swap out my tank and get a new one any time I need it. Cheaper to swap than a fill is at Airgas too.

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
I run propane in my torch and have the propane tip. The difference is in the mixing. One mixes inside the tip the other mixes outside. I have no idea how much of a difference it makes but for 10 bucks I bought the propane tip. I bought an oxygen tank and use my bbq grill tank for the propane. I have about $450 in my setup. For what it costs to rent a bottle I could own one in less than 3 years. It was a no brainer to buy the bottle.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I've run oxy-propane almost 15 years now. Great for heating, works good for cutting 1/4" and up. I find the preheating takes a lot longer so you have to be careful, makes it tougher to blow out bolts etc. Can be tough to get a clean cut in the preheat area if you don't get fast light off of your cut.

You tend to work from an edge a lot more with propane since its way faster that trying to heat for a pierce.

I don't find I use much more oxygen, I go through about 5 oxygen bottles (I think its a 4 cu. ft) to one 25 lb propane tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Propane

I have used propane, map gas, and almost anything that would burn. I have both propane and acetylene tips.
I was just getting an idea of what you pay for propane. And acetylene is not available here so they ship it in from the states.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
the mods that "need" to be done sound like the same for propylene. what psi are you guys running the pain at? i think propylene is up to 44psi and technically its not as hot as acetylene but you can run it at 3X the pressure.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The cost of propane in eastern Canada is about 1$ a litre but varies a lot. In western Canada its only like 0.50$ a litre. It costs about 35$ for a 25 lb bbq exchange tank here.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts
I have used propane, map gas, and almost anything that would burn. I have both propane and acetylene tips.
I was just getting an idea of what you pay for propane. And acetylene is not available here so they ship it in from the states.
Ah yes... well you conveniently left out your location. How are we supposed to know where you are? That sort of makes a difference.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. Everything here is expensive was asking just how expensive. That is what I wus asking. I am from Texas originally. Herd it wus cold here but they lied.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The preheat flame with propane uses ~3.6x more oxygen than acetylene. Propane burns about 600*F cooler than acetylene, but it has nearly 70% more btu/ft<sup>3</sup>. Unlike acetylene, the inner cone on propane produces very little heat, use the outside cone for preheat.

Propane rocks with a rosebud.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I guess no one has bought any. The thought was price.
LP is sold by the pound? This is what you stated in your first post. I thought it was sold by the gallon?

I paid $1.50/gal back in August for my house tank. Now it's more like $2.20/gal here. Because you're asking about a heating fuel, prices will fluctuate dramatically w the season, and w location.

I'm not sure why you even care what others are paying, unless you're only asking those local to you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts