Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know anything about the legal issues of running propane on the street in virginia? i went to the dmv and they had no idea about it, but someone said i would have to buy a completely new clean fuel engine. i can't imagine thats correct. i don't have the option of keeping my rig on a trailer. any of you virginia guys have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
call cary at www.gotpropane.com im sure he can answer your question or point you in the right direction about legalities.

as far as a new clean engine to run propane...thats BS, people are converting their gas motors to propane and people also run a duel fuel setup...gas and propane, gas for the road propane for the trail...you don't have to have a new engine to start on propane...you can take a 200,000 mile motor that has ran gas and run propane on it the next day...BUT yes propane will make your engine run better and cleaner.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hey man, whats up. I wouldn't worry about the DMV whatsoever. Just swap it over and run it, maybe even go with a dual fuel setup if you want to be thrifty. I doubt that anyone would say anything, I mean Ford had a dual fuel option availible on pickups for years, no legality there that I can see. I might run 'pane on the truggy eventually, I'll go dual fuel for sure though, gas is much more practical for highway use IMO.

·
Registered
227 Posts
tsmall07 said:
does anyone know anything about the legal issues of running propane on the street in virginia? i went to the dmv and they had no idea about it, but someone said i would have to buy a completely new clean fuel engine. i can't imagine thats correct. i don't have the option of keeping my rig on a trailer. any of you virginia guys have any experience with this?
In Georgia alot of the pickups used by the Department of Agriculture and Forestry service have been converted to propane. Back when I was in highschool autoshop class the state motor pool guys brought an F150 Forestry truck by and showed us how they did them. I'd say if the state government can do it you can too.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
if you run DOT legal tanks, its legal. If you run fork lift tanks, its illegal. But no one will ever know this, so who cares.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I think In IL you can get a break on something because propane is considered an alternate fuel source, maybe a tax deduction or something like that not sure. Anybody else heard of this?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info guys. i don't want to run dual fuel because it seems like there is no point for me. i'm just going to be driving it to the trails and back home. i think i'm just going to get some forklift tanks and take them in my car to get them filled and say its for my forklift. i talked to the local fuzz and said that they didn't think i'd have a problem with legality if i got pulled over or anything.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There's somthing here I don't quite get. Our group has been running propane for many years and as far as I know all of the vehicles run on either propane or gasoline, (but not simultaneously). So what does dual fuel mean? I suppose you could set up for propane only but then what do you do when you run out and there's no place to gas up? You don't have to get rid of the gasoline when you set up for propane.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
if i remember correctly the dual fuel setup that cary setup, there was a valve like butterfly and it was cable actuated and some sort of electric solenoid...so that when you are on the street you can run gas...then get off road pull the cable and hit a switch and your running propane.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ive been told, Here in Ga there is like a 2500 tax credit for switching to propane. That in it self covers the cost of converting but it is harder to find places to fill tanks when you out on the side of the road.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
what we were going to do (project change) is keep a extra tank or 2 at the house and our local welding gas company would swap them out for us.
Call some up and see if they deliver

·
Registered
255 Posts
In my haste to ask about dual fuel I forgot to mention what I know about legal issues. In some states propane is not subject to the same road tax as gasoline so you're not supposed to use it except on private property like a farm or factory or something. The reason gasoline has that color was so they could see if you were paying your taxes and you used to be able to buy clear gasoline for your farm or factory tax free.
Other states are fostering the use of alternate fuels such as propane, ethanol, biodiesel, etc., and don't tax them. So, it all depends on where you are, but police don't go around sniffing your exhaust pipe so don't worry about it.
Modern propane installations have a solenoid that shuts off your gasoline and lets propane flow when you change over and vice versa. You hardly even can tell when you switch from one to the other. The engine hesitates for about half a second and then resumes running normally on the other fuel

·
Registered
871 Posts
bigblackblur said:
I think In IL you can get a break on something because propane is considered an alternate fuel source, maybe a tax deduction or something like that not sure. Anybody else heard of this?
I heard that here in Salt Lake as well. I'll check into it when my registration is up this year, usually I just roll it in on gas and they never had said anything to me. My only issue will be that the tank is in the Scout, maybe they will let it slide if their isn't a top on it. The tank should be Dot approved since it is a production forklift tank?

·
Registered
871 Posts
snoop dogg said:
if i remember correctly the dual fuel setup that cary setup, there was a valve like butterfly and it was cable actuated and some sort of electric solenoid...so that when you are on the street you can run gas...then get off road pull the cable and hit a switch and your running propane.
You have fuel lock for the propane and a fuel lock for the gasoline, each is activated when you switch the toggle into the gas or propane selection. The pull cable is to allow more air flow for the gasoline position. It will run with mixer in the propane mode though. Just runs a little richer is all.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Locally I have been told that if the tank is hidden you have to put a sticker on your vehicle warning the fire dept. that you are running propane in case of an accident. Road tax is automatically added into the price. I carry a BBQ tank as a spare gas can, a word of warning avoid gas stations for buying your fuel when I was in Ouray last year they not only charged road tax, but also sales tax bringing the price of propane higher than the cost of a gallon of gasoline. Buy from the bulk sellers if you can find one I was lazy and didn't that wont happen again.

·
5,599 Posts
bigun said:
Locally I have been told that if the tank is hidden you have to put a sticker on your vehicle warning the fire dept. that you are running propane in case of an accident. Road tax is automatically added into the price. I carry a BBQ tank as a spare gas can, a word of warning avoid gas stations for buying your fuel when I was in Ouray last year they not only charged road tax, but also sales tax bringing the price of propane higher than the cost of a gallon of gasoline. Buy from the bulk sellers if you can find one I was lazy and didn't that wont happen again.
I found this very helpfull with finding the lower cost Propane supplier in my area: http://afdcmap.nrel.gov/locator/

The BBQ tank is a different fitting then the newer fork lift stuff I run. I keep a BBQ fitting with an AN6 on it to quick change it on my LPG hose.

The BBQ tanks are not legal on the street, but I think the Fork lift tanks are OK.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Illinois has what has to be the SWEETEST deal going... the IEPA actually will reimburse you 80% of the total cost of converting your street driven rig to run on propane. That's parts AND labor... plus a 750 dollar a year tax exemption for fuel costs for the next three years. I can't imagine why more people don't go this route other than availability there are virtually no drawbacks... 110 octane straight from the bottle, oil changes every 12000 miles not every 3000, coolant temps run 20-30 degrees cooler, as good as fuel injection in off camber situations etc...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts