Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of converting my 3.8 buick to propane. What I want to know is what are my options as far as the propane fuel mixer is concerned. On lances write up in the tech section he described it replacing his quadrajet, but I don't need that much fuel flow. Are propane carbs universal and can be adjusted infinately, are there different flow rates for different sized engines?? I guess I'm just a little bit confused as to the similarity between a propane carb vs. a gas carb. Any one have any expereice??

·
Registered
825 Posts
The best bet here is to make best friends with the local propane conversion guy. I found a couple of places in my area by checking Impcos site for their distributors. I think the site is www.impco.com.

Impco or Century seem to be the two standards of the industry. Their are all different sizes of propane carbs available, if you get with a supplier they should be able to set you up with the size that you need. The regulator vaporizer are not as important, the only thing you need to worry about their is that they have enough flow for your engine, they can not be to big-only to small.

It is recomended that you recurve your distributor for propane, it seems to like a faster ignition curve then gas does. According to U.S. Carburation MSD makes a recurve kit for LPG but I just got a set of light springs for my HEI at the parts store. It also seems to like a TON more timing then gas, I would have to say that my initial timing is close to 20* now. Propane also seems to be a big fan of compression, my 10.5:1 SBC runns smoother and happier then it ever has in it's life on propane.

HTH, let me know if you have any more questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts