Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is the best orientation for mounting fork truck propane tanks in a rig?

On fork trucks they sit on the side, but fork trucks never see really off level conditions. Would this make the pick up not work right if say it were sitting on the side opposite the pickup?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would lay them horizontally across your rig with the hole(s) in the top collar facing down.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you suggest for mounting? I'm going to make my own bracketry so its more secure than those little clamps on hi-los.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
i use fork lift mounting brackets. 3 years and never opened up on me, hard roll tooo. jiMMy

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Your local fork lift store will have bottle brakets for about $50, and they are plenty nice, and way more than you will ever need. In fact, the pics just loaded, they are the exact ones shown by 87jeepwrangler. As for the location of the bottle. technically, the bottle should be oriented according to the style bottle you get. They make vertical bottles and horizontal bottles. Both will work at any angle/orientation. You are dealing with a liquid system, that will operate on vapor as well. Basically, as long as your tank has pressure @ or above the operating pressure, the truck will run. Though i am not sure what problems may occor if you pull vapor full time thus locate the bottle the way it was designed, and make sure to ask how it should be located at your local propane shop, as they can tell just by looking at the bottle.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Ideally, you want the valve pointed forward, outlet pointing down. There's a siphon tube in the tank designed to work best like this. it's no different than a Nitrous Oxide tank.

This is from the front looking back on mine. I do more uphills than downhills, and (obviously) require more throttle on uphills, so the tanks are oriented to provide liquid at the pickup when on uphills.

The brackets are the same as pictured above.. beef.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks good, i like how you teed it in right there so all you have to do is open and close valves to switch tanks.

I know this might be dumb...but do you guys have any problem with the propane stink in the rig?

I don't care...but that ballast that sits in the passenger seat will.

Eskimo said:
Ideally, you want the valve pointed forward, outlet pointing down. There's a siphon tube in the tank designed to work best like this. it's no different than a Nitrous Oxide tank.

This is from the front looking back on mine. I do more uphills than downhills, and (obviously) require more throttle on uphills, so the tanks are oriented to provide liquid at the pickup when on uphills.

The brackets are the same as pictured above.. beef.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
mschaffer66 said:
That looks good, i like how you teed it in right there so all you have to do is open and close valves to switch tanks.

I know this might be dumb...but do you guys have any problem with the propane stink in the rig?

I don't care...but that ballast that sits in the passenger seat will.

haven't run the rig yet, but it should be no worse than gas vapors if it's tuned right... I am, however, going to run the exhaust out the back end of the rig. When it was full body, I had it dump right in front of the left rear wheel, and hardly ever smelled anything. But now that it's all open, I dunno. (I also want to get the muffler out from under my seat)

But, if you mean smelling raw propane, you've got a leak that needs to be addressed! :nuke:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i guess i didn't think that when you hook it up it will be off, then on after its sealed...nevermind...bad monday.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
mschaffer66 said:
I know this might be dumb...but do you guys have any problem with the propane stink in the rig?.
Mine does not stink hardly at all. It smells enough to where you know your running propane, but thats about it. Now on the other hand, I have ridden with others running propane where the smell with burn your eyes out.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
go outside, turn your gas grill on, sit near it. thats what it smells like. i dont smell it while im sitting in my rig, unless i've been sitting still for a minute or so. even then its not bad. in my opinion, it smells better than any vehicle running gasoline.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I cant smell a thing on my truck. Every once in awhile, you might get a wiff, but thats it. Far better than the truck was on Gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts