Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok this is what i got form ups today:)

what is this stuff and what do i need to get it running? i think i got 2 of everything?

help?

Pic 1

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
two carbs and two vaporizers it looks like

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Pic 1: looks like an impco 425 propane mixer (propane carb)bolted to a set of holley butterflies..

Pic 2: Model E evaporator (it turns hte liquid propane into vapor propane. The middle line is liquid propane "in" the tubes on either side are for coolant lines.. BOttom big thing provides vapor propane to the mixer.

Pic 3: It is an electric valve that stops the flow of propane. Basically you wire it hot when the engine should be running. Yes you need it..

Pic 4:Model L mixer. I will try to track down which one is better for larger displacement. I think it is the E.

Pic 5: One of the mixers that sits between the intake and a normal gasoline carb (I think it is kinda hard to tell from your pic)

Pic 6: looks like an electric valve for your gasoline valve. They are used when you are running dual fuel. Basically you shut off the gas line and turn on the propane line. That way you can run gas OR propane with the same rig.

I had my rig running dual fuel. It actually did very well. However the LC straight six is not a powerhouse to begin with. so I did not see much of a loss with Propane.

Propane can be made to run just as powerful and economical as gasoline. You just need to tweak the motor a bit to capitalize on it.

Install it!!!
I drove most of the upper heldorado waterfall with my cruiser on propane. (the winch cable was in use but it was slack most of the time, not all the time however..)

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Oh yeah,
Bolt the 425 onto your intake. Put the evaporator somewhere convienent (perferably mounted vertically so that the little brass mesh thingie is on the bottom) and hook up your lines. The electric propane valve goes between the evaporator and the propane tank...

Any other questions???
:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
and if that sucker whistles when it idles give it some dry graphite spary crap and then you can idle it even lower if you want. Mine idles at like 550

·
Registered
234 Posts
The smaller round casting with the fuel shutoff solenoid attatched is a fuel filter.

Yes, you should use a filter.
It is best if the fuel solenoid is off if the motor is not running.
If you wreck, at least part of the fuel system shuts off automatic.
Vacuume switches and oil pressure switches are common.

HTH
K.

:usa:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lik estated before the model L and E are converters. The E is better for a larger motor, I have a E on my 350 and it feeds it quite well. the first carb is an IMpco 425 as stated, it works great with the model E. The seconed carb is a dual fuel one that sits on top of a gas carb like a air cleaner does. Personally I would shit can it or sell it to someone you don't like. the round thing is a filter and the other is a shut off. A lot of stuff on LP runs an electric and a vacum shutoff, I chose to run a electric off of my ignition, It woun't shut off automatically if the motor dies but it will go off with teh key. You can get small cheap vacum switches that wire into the circut for an electric cut off and work great. Impco also makes a pure vacum cut off that is very comon. The filter is a good idea but I am not fond of that style, it looks to be attached to the shut off. Personally I think the best filters are the ones that are incorperated in the blow off valve by the tank.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Originally posted by Jason M Propane can be made to run just as powerful and economical as gasoline. You just need to tweak the motor a bit to capitalize on it.
QUOTE]

Not quite. Propane has a higher octane rating so timing can be advanced quite a bit, but even at peak performance it is still about 10% less power.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chrisjeep7 said:
Ok what is that solenoid looking thing on the model E? That is the electric cut off i think? ok now i want to run a fork lift tank what do i need to connect it? i know i need a high pressure hose and such but what all do i need as far a connecters....tell it to me like i am 5 years old :) :) :)

Chris G.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pic 5 is indeed a mixer (300A) , which goes on top of a carb. Me, and most of my friends run these, without any problems. No need to give it to someone you don't like. The only tricky bit is that you have to make absolutely sure the carb doesn't suck in air from around the mixer. Vacuum leaks iow. Easily cured by using a thin coat of Loctite silicone red or similar on the flange between carb/adapter/mixer. As Chris G. already mentioned, on propane you can advance the ignition at least 5 degrees, possibly even 10.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
mudtruck44 said:
Not quite. Propane has a higher octane rating so timing can be advanced quite a bit, but even at peak performance it is still about 10% less power. [/B]
Only if the motor is not built for it. You should not lose any power on a rig built for propane....
If you just switch from gasoline to propane you will lose the 10%

The thing on the model E vaporizer is the electronic "valve" basically you run the high pressure line from the propane tank to the valve and then from the valve to the vaporizer....

If you use the 300 mixer you will probably notice the 10% loss in power...

Advance your timing to 10*btdc...

Generally it is easiest to connect everything with AN fittings.. Want me to get a pic of the way mine is set up???

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Yes, Im doing this soon too. aint no such thing as too much info.

·
Registered
825 Posts
OK, to go from the forklift tank to the converter you *should* use a blowoff valve located out side of the vehicle and then go from that to the converter. You will need a hose from the converter to the saftey and from there to the tank. At the tank end you will need what is calld a RegO fitting.

I don;t know what kind of a motor you are running but advance for way more then 10* initial timing on most stuff, I am running about 23* initial on my 350 and it performs rather well.

Others may disagree but I think the model 300 and dual fuel setups in general are nothing but problems, use the 425 and dedicated LP, I wuld guess you will be much happier. Running dual fuel lmeans you have to compromise the performance on LP to get the motor to run safely on gas.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
this may be a silly question,,but is a gal. of propane the same weight as a gal. of gas,,of i suppose the meter propane in lbs.. i guess what i am asking if u had equal volume tanks.. which would get u futher done the road or would it not be much different?? thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts