Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with propane I have read alot of builds where they are installing propane to run the engines. My question is why, what is the advantage is just the fact that its cheaper than gas and could you set up a motor to run off both propane and gas?

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Propane flows no matter the angle. It's a tad cheaper now, but it wasn't when I first installed it. It has a ton of advantages. Head over to www.gotpropane.com and do some reading. You can also find a slew of info here. You can set up a system to run both pane and gas, but it will not be optimal.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it run just as good on propane and how much would it be to convert a 454 to propane

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
A carb will flood out when you are on an angle.

EFI will not flood BUT in order to be fuel injected there has to be a computer to run it.

Propane is under pressure so it injects its self into the motor and there is no computer needed.

Propane is also safer as its in a sealed container.

Propane is just alot easier except you cant fill it up (easily) at 2am on a tuesday :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes propane is more cheaper.
Propane is also safer as its in a sealed container.
I don't think its safer. They are all the same. If you got hit directly at the sealed container of propane gas. you will just hear angels from heaven because you are dead. Propane sealed container is a bomb.

Propane is just alot easier except you cant fill it up (easily) at 2am on a tuesday
This is true. you can't refill propane that easily.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't think its safer. They are all the same. If you got hit directly at the sealed container of propane gas. you will just hear angels from heaven because you are dead. Propane sealed container is a bomb.

Not true, I rolled up on an accident involving a propane powered truck once. It had a 100 gal tank in the bed when it crashed. The crash was severe enough that it ripped the tank loose from the bed and launched it about 50 yds down the Highway. One of the valves got damaged and the tank was just slowly leaking propane. Those tanks are built pretty sturdy.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
im runnin one of carys kits (www.propane.com kit), and its the best thing ive done to my motor. i was runnin a TB, and i was always havin trouble with sensors, wiring, fuel pumps, and the damn computer it self. now it runs like a top, and the install was stupid simple. it was a little work to change my motor over because it was fuel injected, but it was worth it! if your runnin a carb, the install is a lot easier.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Yes propane is more cheaper.

This is true. you can't refill propane that easily.

How many propane tanks have you blown up?

The only down side to propane is availability of filling stations...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts