Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have the shape of my cage all planned out but do i make a "halo bar" then run the supports to the floor or run supports across the roof along the top of the door and down to the frame and then tie the two toghter with tube, or make a solid a-piller then tie em toghter. Each color represents its own peice of tube in the pictures. Yes there is more bracing going in than what is shown its just the idea.

So...

A

B

OR

C.

Thanks

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
neither.

I run my cages like this. gives you more headroom on the overhead bars. Plus the whole length of the vehicle is one smooth line. no radi' to catch on trees/ledges etc.

Attachments

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Sapper said:

Is that for a 2 seater? Or does it just look really narrow? If it is for a single seater that is masive overkill:D
2 seater. 57" wide. going in an 72 bronco.

and overkill??? my shop isnt called SchuitOverBuilt for the fuck of it. ;)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice cage except im not doin a full length cage like that. Mine goes right down to the floor after the B piller so that wouldnt work out to hot. Any other opinions

Thanks

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
muddinmike said:
Mine goes right down to the floor after the B piller so that wouldnt work out to hot. Any other opinions

Thanks
:confused:

uhm.. yes it will. and yes.. its still the best way to do it IMHO.

Attachments

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
here... heres your drawing just so you can see it. :shaking:

edit: Look at your "a-hoop" on all of your drawings. Now think of the radi' in there from the bend. Now where your fore-aft bars need to intersect that radius, you have 2 options. lower the front of the bar to intersect the radi' @ the start of the radius. Or start angleing the bar inward to follow the radius and intersect it sometime. That SUCKS. Trust me on this one.

if i HAD to choose one of your designs I'd go with A.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn why didnt you show me this Idea before i ordered the tube in the lenghts i was going to need :D Have you made one like you have drawn them, yet? Is it pretty easy to bend compared to the other ways.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
muddinmike said:
damn why didnt you show me this Idea before i ordered the tube in the lenghts i was going to need :D Have you made one like you have drawn them, yet? Is it pretty easy to bend compared to the other ways.
lol... Its all about experience with cages man. I try to build all my cages this way. The first one i posted is a design I'm working of for my fathers cage right now. We'll prolly start bendin it up in the next week or two.

Good luck.

Nate

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
The cage that bought came like C and I though it would have been a PITA to build like that. Simple to install though.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
sceep said:
neither.

I run my cages like this. gives you more headroom on the overhead bars. Plus the whole length of the vehicle is one smooth line. no radi' to catch on trees/ledges etc.
That looks like a pretty strong design and I like the smooth side to the cage. That side bar that starts at the floor, goes up to the dash, along the windshield, all the way down the side and then drops to the floor again looks to be really long. Does it exceed the length of a stick of tubing?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats kind of what i was thinking. it would work for my design but i think full length like his, its longer than 20 feet. Or really damn close

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
this is actually the design we finally agreed on for his bronco. I dont think that we can do it all in one shot. Plan is to do the front 2/3 and then splice the rear 1/3 right where the diaginal door bar reaches the top-rear.

Attachments

·
Vendor
992 Posts
billp said:
B. It's easier to bend up. I've done two cages: one A and one B. I like B.
Given that he's asking how to build the A pillar, the pics here are style A from his sketches. There's only 3 ways to do, you can't come up with anything else.

I've built halos to try to match up to existing A pillars on a body and while they have some nasty copes, they're fairly easy to fit in an existing hard cab. I'm leaning toward style A for my next project, I like the smoother lines and I think I can build a nice roof skin for it a little easier.
The only reason I'd use C is for fitment reasons in an existing cab, like the toyota cage mentioned above. Visually I don't like it at all for something that will be out in the open.

I think style A will be the easiest to build since the copes are very simple. That should save a lot of time over building a halo.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah its going in a existing hard cab. a 79 bronco to be exact but its gutted down to nothing so going around a dash or anything like that wont be a problem. Well I guess I'll either go with style A or sceeps design.

Thanks guys.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Scot J said:
how long did it take you to do that first one you posted sceep? That's sweet!
took about 45 minutes to model. Hasnt been built yet.

Nate

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i think all of the ways properly strengthened would be fine.

i usually go with the halo design because i like the look.

how many cages do you see on pirate that acually fail because it has an a hoop and not halo...etc...

dig thru competitors pics.....they test out designs.again not to many fail

look at race cars too
:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts