Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience running propane in an AC unit in place of R134? Have heard it works well but not sure if it carries the oil properly. Also what conversion factor would you use? Example when converting from R12 to R134 you only go about80% of the volume.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Are you fawkin' nuts?!?!?!

Don't even think about doing that.

R134 is on the way back down. I just bought six 30 lbs. tanks for under $300 each.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Sounds like a Darwin Award in the making to me.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yeah, Propane in the cooling system... That sounds like a great idea. Make sure you are having a smoke while charging the system and do us all a favor. :shaking:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
LOPPY said:
Sounds like a Darwin Award in the making to me.
I've heard this arguement before, but how is a couple pounds of propane in the A/C any more dangerous than rigs that run on propane? (or rigs that run on gasoline for that matter?)

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Do you also wipe down your torch with oily rags? Weld while wearing sandals? Or check for a loaded gun by looking into the muzzle? Sure... all of these can be done and you might incur no negative consequences. However, if the worst happens, I'm sure you will find the outcome most disagreeable.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Aces'n'8s said:
Do you also wipe down your torch with oily rags? Weld while wearing sandals? Or check for a loaded gun by looking into the muzzle? Sure... all of these can be done and you might incur no negative consequences. However, if the worst happens, I'm sure you will find the outcome most disagreeable.
Well damn.I do were sandals alot while welding."I geuss that takes a real man"

I have wiped down a torch with a mildly dirty rag that may have had some oil on it at some time.

But the gun I do not check like that for damn sure.. :flipoff2:

I am not sure about the propane thing with the ac.How would you get it in there?And does knowone here remmber how damn flameable freon is.I used to blow cans up with a road flare taped to the side of them when I was a kid.Dude they blow higher than the damn telephone poles are and about as wide as a average street.About filling the propane tank while smoking my propane guy does that alot and it even worries me a little... :flipoff2:

If this works for someone chime in and let's see it.I wonder if CO2 would work considering it is one cold bastard and I do not believe it is flameable at all.And also fills in a liquid form.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Practicly all refrigerants are flamable, including R134a (which contains ethane).

Propane/Isobutane mix (sold as HC-12a and DURACOOL 12a) is pretty common, colder and more effecient than both R134a and R12 (Freon), less damaging to the enviroment/ozone layer, cheaper, and just as safe. It's not technicly EPA legal, but most DIY work on refrigeration/AC isn't.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
(squiggly lines,.............flash back)
Taking my A/C test, they showed a video, a guy filled his car with 'pane, then they made a small leak in the system........... guess what happened?
BOOM!

Yes, some frides run on pane, but NO CARS use it.
Fridges also don't use R12 of 134a, its all different.

Someplaces will fill your car with Pane without you knowing it (scary).
But no, don't do it,search the interweb, it bet that video is still out there.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
welndmn said:
Taking my A/C test, they showed a video, a guy filled his car with 'pane, then they made a small leak in the system........... guess what happened?
BOOM!

How did it get set off? Is it any more dangerous than getting a leak in your propane conversion? What about a leak in just plain old gas line. They're all going to burn if they get ignited. I just don't see how adding a few ounces of propane to a closed system under the hood makes it any more dangerous than it is already with a tank full of gallons of flammable fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
I've never heard anyone say running propane was good. For a while, the shop I worked at was putting Freeze 12 in R12 systems, until my boss attended an A/C service clinic and found out the dangers of running Freeze 12 and it's high propane content. Since then he only uses plain R12. It costs more, but is safer. All refigerants are flammable, but propane is just that much more flammable. I have heard of people who have had vehicle a/c systems explode while running high propane refigerants, but have not seen this myself.

Grandpa Jeep said:
How did it get set off? Is it any more dangerous than getting a leak in your propane conversion? What about a leak in just plain old gas line. They're all going to burn if they get ignited. I just don't see how adding a few ounces of propane to a closed system under the hood makes it any more dangerous than it is already with a tank full of gallons of flammable fuel.
Don't forget, the a/c system is running a lot higher pressure on the high side than a fuel line, normally between 225-300 psi. I'm not sure how much pressure the propane guys are running in they're fuel system, is it anywhere close?

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
welndmn said:
BOOM!

Propane is not as flammable as you think. And yes some cars do use it, not OEM. You even said it yourself, some places fill your car with pane. But then again you also said NO cars use it. :confused: :flipoff2:
Im also curious how that car was set off. If you set one of those small cans of propane by a large fire and shoot it with a 9mm, its got to be pretty close to ignite. When it does its cool, but not as cool as youd think.

Did anyone read that link?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
mudtoy67 said:
Don't forget, the a/c system is running a lot higher pressure on the high side than a fuel line, normally between 225-300 psi. I'm not sure how much pressure the propane guys are running in they're fuel system, is it anywhere close?
Does increasing the pressure of propane make it more explosive? There's still only a few ounces of it.

I'm really not trying to defend propane as a refrigerent. When I first heard about it I thought it was a scary idea too. But it seems like a drop in the bucket compared with the fuel system, and nobody seems to be too worried about that.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Grandpa Jeep said:
Does increasing the pressure of propane make it more explosive? There's still only a few ounces of it.

I'm really not trying to defend propane as a refrigerent. When I first heard about it I thought it was a scary idea too. But it seems like a drop in the bucket compared with the fuel system, and nobody seems to be too worried about that.
I'm no chemist but that's my understanding. I'm not sure if the pressure makes propane more volatile, or if when a leak and fire occurs the explosion just has more power behind it. Like I said, we had been using high propane content refigerants for a while. And we never experienced any problems, but I have heard of people who had. It's just a chance a person takes.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
TheRipper said:
Well damn.I do were sandals alot while welding."I geuss that takes a real man"

I have wiped down a torch with a mildly dirty rag that may have had some oil on it at some time.

But the gun I do not check like that for damn sure.. :flipoff2:

I am not sure about the propane thing with the ac.How would you get it in there?And does knowone here remmber how damn flameable freon is.I used to blow cans up with a road flare taped to the side of them when I was a kid.Dude they blow higher than the damn telephone poles are and about as wide as a average street.About filling the propane tank while smoking my propane guy does that alot and it even worries me a little... :flipoff2:

If this works for someone chime in and let's see it.I wonder if CO2 would work considering it is one cold bastard and I do not believe it is flameable at all.And also fills in a liquid form.
You CAN weld barefoot. You CAN change regulators on oxy and ace tanks with oily wrenches and rags. You CAN walk barefoot over drill shavings. You CAN run pane in auto AC systems. Are these actions advisable? You be the judge. If someone believes there exist greater advantages in running pane in their auto AC systems, let'em. I just don't want to be near them.

Just about everything can combust if presented with the right circumstances. I have been to demonstrations where powdered corn flakes have combusted inside a special chamber. Hell just search for grain elevator or silo explosions. Dust is combustable.

People can be REAL MEN all day long. Just some will have more fingers and appendages than others. And not smell like last night's ribeye. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mercedesrover said:
Are you fawkin' nuts?!?!?!

Don't even think about doing that.

R134 is on the way back down. I just bought six 30 lbs. tanks for under $300 each.
I don't know what country you live in but last year we bought 30 pounds for $70 and now they are over $400 (that was the very best deal in town!) and the guy told us it was going up another 22% next month. So I guess thats why the idea came up. Not looking to explode something so probably won't do it. I was mostly fishing to see if it was commonly done but it don't sound like it.

Mercedes who's your dealer? PM me his number.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aaronius said:
Propane is not as flammable as you think. And yes some cars do use it, not OEM. You even said it yourself, some places fill your car with pane. But then again you also said NO cars use it. :confused: :flipoff2:
Im also curious how that car was set off. If you set one of those small cans of propane by a large fire and shoot it with a 9mm, its got to be pretty close to ignite. When it does its cool, but not as cool as youd think.

Did anyone read that link?

I have shot some propane cans with a .357 and none blew up. I was disapointed. I think all the horor stories are fronted by Dupont :grinpimp: :grinpimp: Thier patent is about to expire on R134 that why the shit going up again :barf: :barf: The will come up with some new wonder refrigerant in a couple of years. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Rockwagon#1 said:
I have shot some propane cans with a .357 and none blew up. I was disapointed. I think all the horor stories are fronted by Dupont :grinpimp: :grinpimp: Thier patent is about to expire on R134 that why the shit going up again :barf: :barf: The will come up with some new wonder refrigerant in a couple of years. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
There has to be a flame real close behind the tank ;) a foot or so at most.

I agree with you on the Dupont theory. Damn Dupont company :flipoff:

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Aaronius said:
There has to be a flame real close behind the tank ;) a foot or so at most.

I agree with you on the Dupont theory. Damn Dupont company :flipoff:
x2

My dad is a chemical engineer and he's always said it's a strange coincidance how R12 and CFCs became dangerous about the time that DuPont's patent was running out and they were patenting R134, the new "safer" refigerant. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts